What Scales work best for a country guitar sound?

I know technique.. what scales work best?
Major, minor, pentatonic. Seriously. Country is musically very, very similar to blues. The main difference is that a white guy with a southern twang is singing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Major pentatonic.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by GoWithTheFlow
+ everything i see and own

That doesn't help him at all. Why would you bother quoting that moron?

To answer the question: the major scale, pentatonic and blues.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Rather than posting threads like this why not simply listen to a load of country music, learn some songs and see if you can work it out for yourself applying whatever theory knowledge you already have?

Look at the chords used in a song, work out the key it's in then look at the notes used in the lead parts, riffs and common licks or even just the shapes in this case and see what scale they correspond to. You'll want to learn how to do this at some point, and the only way you'll learn is by trying to do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just been learning some Country myself, a good song to start off with is Kumbaya which plays the A, D and E chords, also try Johnny Cash too such as Ring of Fire.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Country is musically very, very similar to blues. The main difference is that a white guy with a southern twang is singing.
You kidding? Maybe you're thinking of allman brothers or lynyrd skynyrd, which is only partly country.
Quote by demonofthenight
You kidding? Maybe you're thinking of allman brothers or lynyrd skynyrd, which is only partly country.

Man, I live in rural Michigan, country is all I hear when the radio goes on.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Country in general isn't that similar to blues, but some styles often use blues structure. Country rarely has the same "feel" as blues.

Anyway, country is a form of folk music, which means it is usually in major keys. Musicians usually play by ear and probably don't focus on scales. But if you want to know some scales that will work well for soloing, use major, major pentatonic, minor pentatonic, blues, and mixolydian.
Country doesn't really use the tritone in the blues scale. Or the b7 of the Mixolydian. Just use the major and major pentatonic scales.
Quote by metal4all
Just, no. Locrian should be treated like that gay cousin. Just avoid him cuz he's weird, unstable, and is attracted to the wrong thing.

Quote by steven seagull
Big deal, I bought a hamster once and they put that in a box...doesn't make it a scale.
Yep, major pentatonic scale. But seriously, everyone on MT, LISTEN! There is NO magic scale that will make you sound like your favorite artists. There is so much more! Please stop thinking a scale will make you sound great!
Quote by estranged_g_n_r
That doesn't help him at all. Why would you bother quoting that moron?

Cause despite what you may think, teh interwebz is r not serious business.

To TS, major scale ftw
Quote by Myung-trucci
Yep, major pentatonic scale. But seriously, everyone on MT, LISTEN! There is NO magic scale that will make you sound like your favorite artists. There is so much more! Please stop thinking a scale will make you sound great!

you know i completely agree with you here. the unfortunate part is that tomorrow we're going to get a "what are some hardcore scales"
Quote by Myung-trucci
Lets make a new rule for this forum-'No magic scale threads!'. We get like two a day!

^This
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.