I have a Gibson SG with a Seymour Duncan JB Bridge/Jazz Neck set. Beautiful pickups individually... but I cannot, for the life of me, balance them properly in the middle position.

I've messed with the height for weeks now... I must've started from scratch now ten times. I can get them to both sound beautiful individually, but whenever I go to the middle position, it always sounds like there's way too much neck and not enough bridge, even when the neck pickup is pretty much flush with the pickguard and the bridge is about 1/16 from the strings.

Is this just an inherent problem with this pickup set? Is something wired incorrectly giving the neck more power over the bridge? Am I just an idiot and missed an obvious detail?
i have the same problem with my jazz neck but only with distortion. when clean it blends perfectly with the dirty fingers i have in the bridge, i get a nice acoustic-esque tone.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I know that this may sound condescending - but are you using the volume pots as well?

I only ask because I have a friend who insists on keeping all the pots at 10 and adjusting the pickup heights instead

Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you - it's a popular pickup combination and I'm sure someone with more experience can help.
Quote by guitar/bass76
I know that this may sound condescending - but are you using the volume pots as well?

I only ask because I have a friend who insists on keeping all the pots at 10 and adjusting the pickup heights instead

Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you - it's a popular pickup combination and I'm sure someone with more experience can help.

not a bad idea, i forgot SG's have volume for both pickups, my guitar only has a master volume. turning down the neck volume might help the balance some.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
not a bad idea, i forgot SG's have volume for both pickups, my guitar only has a master volume. turning down the neck volume might help the balance some.
That does help quite a bit, but shouldn't I be able to get a good balance with everything full on?
i have to turn down one or the other with volume knobs dependin on wat im playing
Call me Justyn

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by whiteraven119
That does help quite a bit, but shouldn't I be able to get a good balance with everything full on?

Not necessarily, the pickups are wound differently to suit their specific purposes and it's possible that you can't adjust the height to compensate for the output difference without turning your tone to mush because the distance from the strings is too great.
^+1 Not to mention the strings vibrate more at the neck, so if the neck doesn't have less power than the bridge it will probably over power the bridge.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^+1 Not to mention the strings vibrate more at the neck, so if the neck doesn't have less power than the bridge it will probably over power the bridge.
No, the JB and Jazz are advertised as arguably Seymour Duncan's premiere pickup set, and they're specifically balanced to be used in a set, so I don't think that's the problem.

I guess I'll just have to get used to rolling the neck pickup back to 7.5 or so
That doesn't mean they have the exact same output, I think that has more to do with the voicing working together.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by whiteraven119
No, the JB and Jazz are advertised as arguably Seymour Duncan's premiere pickup set, and they're specifically balanced to be used in a set, so I don't think that's the problem.

I guess I'll just have to get used to rolling the neck pickup back to 7.5 or so

It's not even that great of a set.

One suggestion I have is to lower the Jazz's height on the bass side of the pickup. i find it can be too boomy.
i don't have a major problem with the jb/59 set in my edwards... as said, just try rolling down one of the volume controls...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?