I consider downloading stealing, but I can't get a job, and I have no other way of getting music, so I guess I'm going to have to start downloading again.

I've downloaded a crap load of stuff before, I'm just wondering, what are the odds of getting caught? I'm seriously worried about it, since I'm 18 now, and I could go to jail for it.
Don't do it a whole lot, and you'll be fine. Also, depending on your ISP, you may get warnings before legal action is taken. Mine gives two warnings iirc. You'll have to download a lot for anyone to care, though. A friend of mine downloaded two tb of movies, and he just got a warning.
Ya know, I've always thought that if a cop or some authority figure went on UG someday they'd have a field day busting everyone for all this crazy stuff we do. Seriously, we've even got a drug thread!
Quote by Monkey@Keyboard
Ya know, I've always thought that if a cop or some authority figure went on UG someday they'd have a field day busting everyone for all this crazy stuff we do. Seriously, we've even got a drug thread!

There's no actual proof here, though. Someone could always argue that someone hacked into their account.
Quote by Spamwise
Don't do it a whole lot, and you'll be fine. Also, depending on your ISP, you may get warnings before legal action is taken. Mine gives two warnings iirc. You'll have to download a lot for anyone to care, though. A friend of mine downloaded two tb of movies, and he just got a warning.

do they warn??
in my country they dont give a damn to it...
I'm downloading Photoshop right now..Piracy is fun, do it.
My Gear:
Yamaha FGX720SCA
Get a Job!

(Someone points out that he said he couldn't get a job in his post)

Get a Job!
It was a graveyard smash.
Long live uTorrent and Limewire!
On a side note, it would cost more money to bust every kid that downloaded a couple songs than the collective fines they would reap would cover.
Im guessing "here" is America?

Cause I've never got "warned"
or even heard of anyone getting warned.
Yeah, I use uTorrent, and my friend that introduced me to it said that unless you download a LOT, your ISP won't say anything to you. I have Roadrunner, if that makes a difference at all.
Last edited by frottage at Sep 28, 2008,
IT'S A TRAP!

Seriously.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
I live in the states and I've been warned - but I've been involved in piracy since the beginning. You'll get a warning or two at least from your ISP before they disconnect you, and after that you may be subject to lawsuit. They don't (typically) warn you for excessive downloading, but if a company (in my case, Warner Brothers) determines that your IP has been downloading their property against copyright laws (i.e. a movie/album) they contact the ISP who then contact you.

Edit: And what's so wrong with prison? If you're in the states (or any first-world country) you get housing and food for free, and you don't have to deal with working.
: : Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Ibanez Acoustic-Electric
Fender Black Strat
: : Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion & Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby
Fender Tuner
considering there is always at least 1 mill people doing torrents.... you have a 1 in 1mill chance of getting caught.
Make your own music man!
"A sense of purpose overrides reason."- Terry Goodkind

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

\,,/GETCHA PULL!!!\,,/
- the late and ever-loved "Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
Chances are not very high.

I've been downloading all day.

Meshuggah obZen

Protest the Hero Fortress (Instrumental)

The String Quartet Tribute To Deftones

The Ocean Precambrian (Proterozoic)

The Dillinger Escape Plan Ire Works

The Forms Self Titled

Be Your Own Pet Get Awkward

And the night is not over yet.
Last edited by Tire Me. at Sep 28, 2008,
Life is good, im d/ling shitloads of music and on top of that a pizza van outside my house that hasn't moved since i started said downloading.

I haven't felt the urge to get a pizza yet but its good to know i only have to walk across the road to get some, cheaper then delivery to
Quote by Froboarder
Long live uTorrent and Limewire!
On a side note, it would cost more money to bust every kid that downloaded a couple songs than the collective fines they would reap would cover.

The only people who really make money on taking people to court for downloading is the lawyers and the people who are doing the work to track down people. So most likely you will not see any small people getting any court cases, maybe a few warning letters here and there to try to scare you. Ignore them if you respond to your ISP you are only confirming that you are doing something illegal. The ISP is not the people who own the copy rights so they really don't care, they just want you to keep paying them.