Page 1 of 3
Yep, believe it or not my (former?) employer saw fit to let me go due to an illness I am suffering. I started my shift tonight at the BP Gas Station, owned by Cobb Oil, in Richland IA. At approximately 7:00 pm, I felt I could no longer perform my job and called the manager requesting to be sent home. She called one of the joint owners of the company, who told her I would not have a job if I left.

Keep in mind I'd never called in sick. A couple tardies, but that's it.

I then called the aforementioned lady's personal cell phone, and asked why it was that I couldn't leave to see my doctor. She told me she was "fed up with everyone's irresponsibility and lack of work ethic" and that I "had two choices: Stay and finish your shift, or go home and we won't be wanting you back." She further stated that a doctor's excuse would not help my situation. I told her that if I was "fired over an illness, I'll be collecting unemployment." She then said that since I'd be listed as "'fired due to low work ethic,' that it would not be necessary.

So I told them I'd not be finishing the shift because I couldn't handle it, and I got my fiance to drive me to the ER due to dizzyness.

Clearly this is improper termination. I have my doctor's excuse, prescription, and emergency room papers for use in my case with them. A quick question to the pitgoers is: Did anything like this happen to you? Did you fight it? What was the outcome?

Thanks guys,
Joshua
dang that sucks. I've never had a job though so I can't help at all. Good luck with the case though if you decide to go through with it.
That's horrible. I don't know if I would sue over that but I would def. talk to some sort of legal channel about it. Sorry about that
█████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████
Portugal. The Man »–
I can't NOT got through with it. They're trying to yank everything I have out from underneath me because I had to see a doctor and they're paying someone overtime.

"Because, you know, the economy isn't bad enough. So let's fire this kid just because we can."
I don't know the policies in america but i'm pretty sure you can't fire someone over that, if you have the proof you were sick. You would probably be able to get your job back if you went to court over it but would it really be worth it, considering they'd probably hate you after it and not put you on any shifts if they were forced to re-hire you.
That is definitely something you should fight. I'm pretty sure you can sue the bitch for unfair dismissal.

And yeah, I was once fired before I ever started because they called me up asking me to work, half an hour before they wanted me in, while I was out of town. Short notice much?
there were probably some ulterior motives involved if you ask me. like, they were just looking for a reason to fire you, or something.
Quote by Arthur Curry
there were probably some ulterior motives involved if you ask me. like, they were just looking for a reason to fire you, or something.

I was thinking the same.]
Quote by Amerikhastan
That's illegal, threaten to sue and then get an out of court settlement!

Sounds like a plan. Anyone know what I should ask for?
She probably thought you were faking it. Or maybe she's just a coldhearted [doggie]. What ever the reason was, she wasn't taking you seriously. If she really knew you had to go to the ER, she might have handled it differently.

I don't really know how to help, other than by giving emotional support. People with authority WILL abuse it just because they can, and there's nothing we can do about it. Sorry man.
Wow. Your getting married pretty young
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I was thinking the same.]

You could probably get a signifigant amount out of it, after all, it is a crime they just commited.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
im not sure about all the legal mumbo jumbo that happens i a situation like this, but i might want to consider at least talking to a lawyer. if you are unable to perform your duty due to illness, and your "boss" or whomever doesnt relieve you, then i guess you could say that they made you work in un-safe working conditions? idk im just rambling on ways to save ur ass.

and tell her that if its so unethical to go home sick, then why is it ethical to fire someone because they could possible die? (presuming that any illness you have would constitute the same reaction from your superior)
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
I'd suggest finding out who her boss is. Give them a call/write a letter/contact in some way, and see if they will do anything about it. Go above her. If all goes well, you get your job back, and she gets fired. That would be ironic.
Call the news and make a big deal out of it.
Here in London some girl got fired from her job at Tim Horton's for giving a timbit to a crying baby, and the media found out and it became some huge deal.
It sounds like she really thought you were just lieing about being sick to get off early. I think showing her the ER papers would make her at least apologize and hopefully realize she was wrong. If not, sue the bitch.
Quote by Odin
I'd suggest finding out who her boss is. Give them a call/write a letter/contact in some way, and see if they will do anything about it. Go above her. If all goes well, you get your job back, and she gets fired. That would be ironic.

HELL NO, dont take that job back even if they offer you a billion dollars, you dont wanna work in a shit hole like that.

lol you could try to stretch it and say it was something at your work that caused your sickness, and try to get workmans comp. out of it.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain

A life time of free slurpies and petrol
Gear
Fender MIA Stratocaster (Sunburst)
Vox AC4TV
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yahama FG730S
Quote by marshmellow666
sue that bitch

It's probably not worth it and the bill for all of that would be very high. The best thing would be to get another job.

I wen't though so many crappy jobs. The worst being an electrical job working on the roof of a "work out world" during the middle of a 100F day. I got such a bad sun burn from that day........and the crappy bit was my bosses didn't say I would be on a roof that day so I had no sun screen or anything on................
I quit a few days later and moved on.
Quote by shadowsoldier08
HELL NO

dont take that job back even if they offer you a billion dollars, you dont wanna work in a shit hole like that.

I would LITERALLY work in a shit hole for that amount
Quote by shadowsoldier08
HELL NO, dont take that job back even if they offer you a billion dollars, you dont wanna work in a shit hole like that.

lol you could try to stretch it and say it was something at your work that caused your sickness, and try to get workmans comp. out of it.

Well, maybe don't take the job back, but at least get to the point where it is offered.

If I were you, just get another job. By time you actually get anywhere near getting a result, you will wish you hadn't bothered. Just forget that place and move on.
BP is not a union....so your employment is "at - will".....you can quit or be terminated for the most insignificant thing......How long were you employed with them? And before them? This will determine if you are eligible for unemloyment benefits. In my state you have to be employed for at least six months I believe to collect unemployment compensation.

Suing will get you nowhere...period! If you are eligible for unemployment file for that. The company will probably challenge you and you will have a hearing to determine if it was sufficient or justified reason to fire you. Bring all your evidence .....Sorry but no lawsuit is possible.
I'm going to fuck them.
I'm going to fuck them, smoke a cigarette, and come back for seconds.

And by the way, it's an upper respiratory infection that they said I could finish my shift or leave and be fired over.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
I'm going to fuck them.
I'm going to fuck them, smoke a cigarette, and come back for seconds.

And by the way, it's an upper respiratory infection that they said I could finish my shift or leave and be fired over.

Is your wife to be hot?

>_>
<_<
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by bringmethedeath
Murder That Hoe!

This one caught my eye. Go with it.

I promise copious lulz if you do.

EDIT: well in an effort to contribute something more meaningful, I will say that you should go to a news station and ask if there's any story in it. Everyone loves a little controversy, and if I'm not mistaken sweeps week is approaching.
Proud Member of the "Shoop da Whoop club"
PM C.C. Deville to join

O _0
/###############
|###############
\###############
OBJECKSION!

Call Phoenix Wright. He'll save yo ass.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Of course.

But back on track, I'm sure the local news would love to hear about a person being made to work face-to-face with the public while harboring a contagious Upper Respiratory Infection.

See, I'm always right.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Well, at least this time. And as for that respiritory infection...
I'm off to smoke a cigarette.

YOU SMOKE THAT CIGARETTE
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Yes. Very good tactic. Loose the upper respiratory infection and gain lung cancer.

Hey, it's not that bad.

The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
You know, I'm thinking you got fired because you weren't too good of an employee.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Nope. Got fired because I placed my health and wellbeing over a few of Mark and Laurie Cobb's dollars.

That isn't why you were fired. If you had been a good employee, it would have been over looked. Unless it has happened several times before.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 3