Alright, so I put this in the Electric Guitar forum first, but figured I would get a better response here.
Alright, so i've been looking at my rig lately and decided I need a new setup. Because of my limited funds, it's not going to be too much of an upgrade. I play hard rock and metal, and i've read that this gear works well with those genres. Opinions? Criticisms?

Current Rig:
Jackson DXMG w/Crappy Humbuckers
10 watt Indiana crap amp
crappy Danelectro Black Coffee Distortion
(basically the only decent thing is the guitar)

Updated Rig:
Jackson DXMG w/EMG-81 in the bridge, and EMG-85 in neck (both black)
Peavey Vypyr 30w
Ibanez Weeping Demon

(Humbucker link goes to harmony-central, all others go to Guitar Center)

Total Cost of new rig: Approx. $300. I'm getting the pups for x-mas.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I wouldn't worry about pups until you get a nice amp (nicer than the vypyr).

What's your price range? Are you gigging? What styles do you play/what tones do you want? Can you go used?

I'd put as much money as you can towards the amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Price range is low, considering. Right now? 25 bucks. If i save for a few months, 300ish. And i'm not gigging right now, but the only time I would be able to in the near future is at a school talent show. I love playing Nirvana, mainly. Metallica's in there, Rise Against, etc. which is why i was going to buy the Vypyr: all the amp models and such. I can go used fine, but I wouldn't really know where to look. And the amp right now doesnt have to be big. The 30w will be fine for now.
EDIT: I can usually get around $200 in christmas, so add that to the price range.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
The vypyr could be a good choice, I'd also try the roland cubes, nice sounding little practice amps. I wouldn't worry about the pups, emgs don't mix well with solid states since they were designed to drive the preamps of tube amps hard.
I've been reading up about the cubes, and heard that the vypyrs were better. I want the practice quality, but its also big enough for band practice and possibly a small gig such as a school talent show.
What about Seymour Duncan Invaders? I really hate my current pickups...i've only recently come to realize that my DXMG was stripped by GC and reloaded with crap...licensed FR (chrome), chrome tuning pegs, the crappy pups, etc. the chrome just looks bad, to me.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
How do you know the pups are bad? Have you played them through a good amp? The amp has much more to do with the tone than the pickups.

If you want it to be giggable I'd save for a cube 60 or vypyr 75. Neither one is better than the other, you just need to try both and see what you like. A 30 watt solid state is really not enough power.
What about the Vypyr 60? I believe thats either a tube or a hybrid.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
I dunno, I don't think they're out yet. A peavey valveking is worth a shot, maybe a used f or dc series mesa if you can find one for cheap. A randall RG50tc would be good if you can stretch your budget that far.
What's a good site for used gear? And i wanted a modeler like the Vypyr so I can have a variety of amp models, and the effects.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
craiglist and ebay are where it's at.
Hmm...I'm looking at craigslist and found a Peavey Session 500 for cheap. What do you think of that one?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Fender Eighty-Five for a hundred?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
If you're looking to upgrade your tone, go for the amp first. Pickups don't mean a thing if the sound you want can't come out of the amp to begin with.

As far as solid state amps go, the roland cubes are good. I have one, and their modeling effects are very good. I haven't played a peavey vypyr but from the reviews I've watched, they sound pretty awesome. The technology behind their effects is newer and they give you a lot more sounds than a cube.

Personally I'd invest in a small tube amp like a blackheart or crate v18. You lose the cool modeling effects, but you get real alive tone that the solid state amps just can't do.
Quote by Jango22
Hmm...I'm looking at craigslist and found a Peavey Session 500 for cheap. What do you think of that one?

I think it's for electro acoustics.
I wouldnt have enough money saved for the Vypyr 60w until about the time it comes out. I know its a tube, so i'll probably just go with that. I was looking at others and was most discouraged, except maybe for this:http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/msg/829301422.html i'd probably be able to get that a lot quicker than the Vypyr, but what about quality/gig-readyness?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
what you've put sounds alot better. Nice one. Hope you get it all
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
So I should go with the Marshall Valvestate?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
So I should go with the Marshall Valvestate?

NO! Modern Marshall Valvestates sound really... lifeless. Don't do it!

I say either get the Vypyr 60 or get a VK. Maybe a Mesa/Boogie F series or DC series if one pops up on Craigslist.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
NO! Modern Marshall Valvestates sound really... lifeless. Don't do it!

I say either get the Vypyr 60 or get a VK. Maybe a Mesa/Boogie F series or DC series if one pops up on Craigslist.

I second this.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
EDIT: Actually, i'm just going to stick the 30 watt...its really almost more than I need, in terms of loudness. If I were to save up for the 60 watt, i would have to save all my money from now on, PLUS use all my christmas money. Worth it? Maybe. Am I too impatient and greedy to wait/save that long? Yes.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Last edited by Jango22 at Sep 28, 2008,