I have the POP/ROCK (default, I think) version of EZdrummer and I don't actually like how unnatural some of the drums sound. Do you have any suggestion how to enhance their sound and make them sound like they were actually recorded?
I've heard some song samples that used EZdrummer instead of actual drums and they sounded quite realistic.
Links don't work.
But umm...reverb, EQ, compression, accenting certain notes etc...

Differing the beat every now and then, so it's not the same beat + fill every few bars.

Those would be my tips.
If the links worked, I could go more in depth.
Member of the Laney Cult
^ I agree with what he said. Reverb and proper EQ will make a world of difference, I've had nothing but stellar results with EZDrummer and DFH
Sorry, I'm a dumbass, I posted the files in a private folder :P
I think they're working now.
I don't have a signature
Ah.
Yeah accenting the right notes, bit of reverb, EQ and compression, I guess.
The main thing would be the accents.
If all the notes sound the same, it sounds very computer-made.
Do you know about the accents and stuff?

It's a lot easier to do with some basic drumming knowledge.
Simple things would be that with a cymbal hit (during a beat), you often want to have a bass drum hit at the same time.
Try not to use the same fills too close together, otherwise it sounds programmed.
Accents, accents, accents! (Arguably the most important thing in getting a 'realistic' drum sound)

Umm...yeah.

With the 1st example, on the floor tom, go and make the first hit the loudest, second softer, third in between, fourth about the same as the second.
Just try that, it's the really basic gist of it, but small things like that make a world of difference.
I'll upload something to my profile in second, demonstrating the difference some reverb, eq, compression and accents make.

EDIT: It's up. It's very crude and almost rushed, but it still makes a huge difference. One track after other, first is with unaffected and no accents, second is effected with accents.
Member of the Laney Cult
Last edited by JaykeSucks at Sep 28, 2008,
I don't know how to program accents, but I'll try and find a tutorial or some advice somewhere on the Internet.

Thanks a lot for the help, people!
I don't have a signature
No probs. Basically just make some notes louder than others. It's particularly noticeable in drum fills (at the end of the drum parts on the thing on my profile).

The other tunes that are up on my thing are programmed drums too, but I spent a bit longer on them both.
Keep at it man.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by moody07747
No program or drum module will be "plug and play". It takes work to get great sound. This goes for any audio gear or software.

+billions.

it can take a few minutes to get your preliminary drum ideas down.

but getting a robot to sound human takes talent, effort, patience and above all..

TIME
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
True^.

I'm not sure what software you are using to record with, but when you prgram in the MIDI notes, there should be options to adjust the velocity of them - that is to say, how hard the virtual drum is 'hit'. Adjusting these as someone already explained will work wonders when trying to achieve a natural sound.

Reverb can help a lot, but don't overdo it on drum tracks or you can really ruin the rhythm. There's plenty of guides on the internet on how to EQ drums, but these should only be seen as just that - a guide. Experiment with EQ and reverb to get the most natural sound possible.

It's also a good idea to program some of the MIDI notes slightly out of time to replicate a real drummer - no real drummer can play as precisely as the computer can. The humanize function will probably do this for you though (I haven't used EZ drummer).
There is poetry in despair.
yeah you definitely need to vary the velocities and the timings. definitely accents will help a lot with more added realism as long as those velocities vary also. as far as reverb goes i wouldn't touch it unless i shut the room mics down and adjusted the bleed on the mics and the overall mix. eq the components of the kit some to to remove any unwanted/clashing frequencies. again to get a realistic sounding track spend some time editing that midi track.
reverb is good. all in moderation of course, it gives them the depth they need to actually sound like a drum.

rather than just plastic being hit by a stick. if you track your drums seperately, then you can add different amounts of reverb (or any FX or EQ for that matter) to different sections of the kit.

for example, having your kicks fairly dry so they stay quick and not too boomy is good, and then putting reverb on the cymbals so they sound really airy and crisp.. well hey its the best of both worlds.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.