hai thar everyone

just out of interest, as im STILL on the hunt for another guitar, is the ibanez s520EX a good choice?

i was watching the bonus ultra beatdown DVD today and saw an s540, but that's way out of my £500 price range.

dont recommend me a new amp, ive got a 10 watt amp im happy with for now, and a zoom g2.1u.

heres the Ibanez S520EX

thanks
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
they are very nice. but i have heard of a few people having problems with the new z.r. trem. a few people have had the actual screw that holds the tremelo to the body break off leaving the screw in the body.
Quote by jymellis
they are very nice. but i have heard of a few people having problems with the new z.r. trem. a few people have had the actual screw that holds the tremelo to the body break off leaving the screw in the body.

they're probably herman ri wannabe's, lifting the guitar up by the trem arm

Quote by cornmancer
actually no they werent herman LI wanna bees. and i lift my 7620 by the bar everytime i play.
S series are good. but they only have 22 frets which is an upset for me. the prestige s models have 24 frets but you'll pay more.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
If you want more versatility, check out the S470 with the middle single coil. Otherwise the S520 would be a great choice.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
If you want more versatility, check out the S470 with the middle single coil. Otherwise the S520 would be a great choice.

awesome point!
I adore the S520.
The Tremelo is actually very well made.
Id have to question the string tension and whammy wankification that could have caused that Tremelo bolt to snap.
Quote by hminh87

+1, I got a 2006 model, But if your into heavy metal, It's not that great of a choice, But it will take it.
Pretty good for blues,rock, Progressive ect: However

-Zikes
Quote by hminh87

aha, ive just been looking at the s470 actually.

but the colours are crap. i dont want black, and the blue is a bit meh..

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
aha, ive just been looking at the s470 actually.

but the colours are crap. i dont want black, and the blue is a bit meh..

And there are those two, cost a bit more but Woo... :p
http://www.dv247.com/invt/38287/
http://www.dv247.com/invt/38286/
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

i want blue moon burst
nao.

Quote by cornmancer
The Ice Blue S470 actually looks really nice in the flesh. Interent pics dont really do it justice.
so lemme get this straight.

which is better for what i want (metalcore, punk, etc.)

s470 or s520?

bear in mind i can get matt bellamy's sound out of my squier with my pedal, so does it make much difference?

Quote by cornmancer
I would buy an s520 and swap out the pickups for something a little more upmarket.

The stock pups on both guitars are pretty naff.

Would you be using the middle single coil on the s470 much?
Quote by Tallman
I would buy an s520 and swap out the pickups for something a little more upmarket.

The stock pups on both guitars are pretty naff.

Would you be using the middle single coil on the s470 much?

probably not.

and they're crap? arghhhh.
i dont want to do any pickup changing, that's the problem. my other choices are an rr3 and an iceman hahaaa, which are probably better, but i really like the s520 now..

Quote by cornmancer
You could get the S320 and change the pickups, it probabl ycheaper, but its pretty much the same guitar. I myself am getting the S470, so i would recomend you that.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
You could get the S320 and change the pickups, it probabl ycheaper, but its pretty much the same guitar. I myself am getting the S470, so i would recomend you that.

what music do you playyyy?

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
probably not.

and they're crap? arghhhh.
i dont want to do any pickup changing, that's the problem. my other choices are an rr3 and an iceman hahaaa, which are probably better, but i really like the s520 now..

Pickup changing is a relatively easy job to perform, you're just following a wire diagram. Don't fret over it!

The pickups in the RR3 are Seymour Duncans yes, but wouldn't it be better to get pickups that are geared specifically for you or get pickups that you want? The pickups in the Iceman aren't too amazing either, they should be swapped out too.

Because you aren't going to use the middle pickup in the S470, just get the S520EX or the S320 for the different finish. With any leftover cash, buy pickups and install them for a kickass guitar.
i have no idea about pickups tbh though. i mean to me, my squier ones sound fine, altho im sure theyre not.

see what i mean?

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Hoodoo Child
they're probably herman ri wannabe's, lifting the guitar up by the trem arm

I used the trem for light vibrato and mine broke. It's a $60-$100 fix if you don't do it yourself like I did.

ZR trems are pieces of shit. Do not get an S series. Pickups suck, trem is made of cheap parts and has shorter range than most floating trems, and the thin body gives a really generic tone.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I used the trem for light vibrato and mine broke. It's a $60-$100 fix if you don't do it yourself like I did.

ZR trems are pieces of shit. Do not get an S series. Pickups suck, trem is made of cheap parts and has shorter range than most floating trems, and the thin body gives a really generic tone.

ZR trems are actually are pretty good, if there made after 2005 I think the dates was, Ive never had a problem with it, never has my freind whos got the same s470 as me.
Picksups are ok..... but if you got the money kicking about i would change them.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
i have no idea about pickups tbh though. i mean to me, my squier ones sound fine, altho im sure theyre not.

see what i mean?

Well, to be honest, there is no point in changing out pickups if you're using a small 10W amp. (Unless you've got a handwired boutique amp that's epic). Changing out pickups should only be done once you've got a good setup, it's like fine tuning your sound.

Changing out pickups depends on what you want out of your tone; is it too bassy? Not enough clarity? Want more natural organic cleans?
argh im confused. some people say they're good. some say they suck.

Quote by cornmancer
Have you tried looking at anything from ibanez's SA series? I personally prefer them over the S.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by jymellis
personaly i want the S seven string.

+1. That's the only S series I like; the body shape tends to annoy me, but the 7 feels a bit better to me.
I didnt read all the replies so pardon if anything has already been said.

I bought an S540EX in MGF (metallic grey flat) used off ebay for 250 quid. the trem arm broke within a month but i just swapped the whole bar and arm socket for one on my other guitar (Licensed floyd, Has allen key nut underneith it) now my trems faultless and its really easy to adjust if neccessary. The s series guitar is amazing for anything really. you might not be as versatile as perhaps a 470 with that extra middle pickup, and if you wanted a crystal clear sound youd probably have to replace the pups anyway. I'd just say hunt for a good bargain and never look back
is the s470 a set neck? cos i think the 520 is...

Quote by cornmancer
Quote by Zikes
ZR trems are actually are pretty good, if there made after 2005 I think the dates was, Ive never had a problem with it, never has my freind whos got the same s470 as me.
Picksups are ok..... but if you got the money kicking about i would change them.

I know that, Mine's from 2006. The guitar tech I talked to about it says he gets them brought in for repairs all the time, as well. Some of the fine tuners are stuck, too, and I have to unlock the A and D strings to make minor adjustments to tuning.

Quote by Hoodoo Child
argh im confused. some people say they're good. some say they suck.

Most people that say they're any good have only tried them for half an hour at a music shop, or jumping on the S series bandwagon.
Dickless.
i got my 540s for less than 500£ and i got nothing but great things to say about it.
Gear:
ESP/LTD EC-1000
Ibanez 540S MIJ 1990
PodXT
Micro Cube
Ibanez pups arent terrible like everyone says they are.

they just dont specialize in any single genre, my IC200 plays everything decent, but nothing perfect.
I have the pre-ZR S470, even if the lo-trs is crap, it still sounds like a dream.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
i personally love my s520. i got it a year or so ago and i have never had any problem with the zr trem at all. it holds its tuning amazingly well. the reason i went for the s series is because i wanted a double locking trem guitar but not something with a licenced floyd on it that would wear down so i went for the ball bearing equipped s520. the neck is very thin and extremely fast, the build quality is solid as a rock, and the pickups, although not fantastic, will deliver pretty much what you want ( i swapped out the bridge for a seymour duncan full shred but i left the neck in because it was actually quite nice)
Guitars-
krozka-sharpe raider session 'revo'
ibanez s520ex with SD TB-10 full shred bridge
ibanez sz520qm
epiphone les paul custom
epiphone EJ200

Amp-
Orange tiny terror with PPC112 cab