just about to send off my ucas application anyone know when the earliest date of an interview (if i have one) will be? Also what sort of loans will i get and how often are they paid?

thanks for all helpful replies!
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Depends on the university. Talk to banks for loan info, they usually get paid in once a term.

I'm hoping to go to University of Surrey
planning on going to portsmouth for graphic design
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Didn't think most unis interviewed these days, unless you're a med student or applying to Oxbridge.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Depends on the university. Talk to banks for loan info, they usually get paid in once a term.

I'm hoping to go to University of Surrey

Oh dear jesus.... Another UGer at my uni... :S
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
Oh dear jesus.... Another UGer at my uni... :S
Mua ha ha. If I get in that is, hopefully to do Creative Music Tech. What do you do?
Quote by 11yunited
Didn't think most unis interviewed these days, unless you're a med student or applying to Oxbridge.

Yeah, Oxbridge are the only universities now that interview; to be honest, I think more universities should interview possible students.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Cambridge interview about 90-95% of all applicants, and Oxford about 80-85%. As for other universities, there's a chance you'll get an interview for Medicine or a comparably competitive course. Some unis interview border-line candidates to decide their final intake, but it always depends and varies on different factors and the like.

As for earliest interview, I'm afraid I don't honestly know. Cambridge/Oxford interview in December (sometimes late November), but since other unis recieve applications mid Jan rather than mid October, they'll obviously be later unless you applied for an early application subject like Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry .etc
So, I imagine it won't be any earlier than very late November.

For info about loans and grants, go here:

http://www.studentfinancedirect.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=53,1262207&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

I've just sent mine off too. Going for Geography (L700) at Cambridge and Geography (F800) at Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Bristol.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

I'm having chicken nuggets for lunch.

My Day > Yours
cheers for replys been great help
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

you won't get interviewed unless you're doing medicine, vetinary medicine or goijng to oxford or cambridge
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
go on ucas they will tell you everything on there
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Hey UK uni savvy guys, I have been wanting to ask this for a while but didn't think it was thread worthy. I know how famous/prestigious Oxford University is (I've also visited it before ), but how hard is it to get into?
Quote by meh!
you won't get interviewed unless you're doing medicine, vetinary medicine or goijng to oxford or cambridge

incorrect. some london universities also interview for certain courses. however, some people do (i believe) get offers without having interviews at those places. at oxbridge everyone who gets an offer has been interviewed.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by shigidab0p
Hey UK uni savvy guys, I have been wanting to ask this for a while but didn't think it was thread worthy. I know how famous/prestigious Oxford University is (I've also visited it before ), but how hard is it to get into?

Very.

I'm doing mechanical engineering at Nottingham and when I was applying I was asked to interview at 3 of the 6 choices. I told Bristol to go away and went to Southampton and Nottingham interviews.
Quote by shigidab0p

it isn't easy, but its not impossible. if you are going to be predicted 3As for a level, you should apply. worst comes to the worst, you don't get in. its worth taking the risk because (and i'm sure this will offend pretty much everyone) the quality of teaching you receive is almost certainly the best in the country, if not the world. one on one tutorials with leading academics are pretty great.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Very.

So you need to have super good results? Judging from this thread, pass an interview as well? For the record I wasn't interested in going there myself, just wanting to know. Here in Perth you leave high school with a TER (tertiary entrance rank) which corresponds to percentage of the state you are better than or equal to. The highest entrance requirement for here is around 97, but you're more likely to get in with a higher TER. Also, you apply for all Unis in the state via the same body. How similar is this to the UK?
Last edited by shigidab0p at Sep 28, 2008,
In the UK we do High school up to age 16. Then you can go get a job or do whatever you like.
Whilst Americans do their last 2 years of high school, UK can do sixth form/college, where you typically take A levels.

You do 3 subjects, and Oxford/Cambridge definitely require 3 A grades. And seeing as everyone who applies to those universities will have three A grades, it is a good idea to have something on your application to stand out, extra curricular activity and the like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
incorrect. some london universities also interview for certain courses. however, some people do (i believe) get offers without having interviews at those places. at oxbridge everyone who gets an offer has been interviewed.

Oh right. Interviews are silly, they should just stop people who's names beginning with.... 'D' going. Sorted.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
In the UK we do High school up to age 16. Then you can go get a job or do whatever you like.
Whilst Americans do their last 2 years of high school, UK can do sixth form/college, where you typically take A levels.

You do 3 subjects, and Oxford/Cambridge definitely require 3 A grades. And seeing as everyone who applies to those universities will have three A grades, it is a good idea to have something on your application to stand out, extra curricular activity and the like.

not especially. i mean, extracurriculars are useful but not essential. the most important thing is being really good at your subject and being very interested in it. if thats you, try it.
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Mua ha ha. If I get in that is, hopefully to do Creative Music Tech. What do you do?

Terrorism studies aka Chemistry xD
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Bout interviews:

Just like most people said they will be around november/january. I got asked to an interview at cambridge, imperial and manchester, but other than oxbridge the interviews are just a sneaky way of getting students to come visit the uni (i got an offer from manchester even though i didn't go to their interview).

As to the loans you will have to fill a out a great big form and then everything taken care for you. In my case they have already stated that they will pay, but the payment dates are given as beginning of february and the 2nd at the beginning of june.

As to getting into oxbridge it actually depends on your course as well. Other than having to be top in your subject area (and in general as well) you might sometimes be asked for additional exams (ie STEP papers for maths). My friend had the highest grade average from our school in the year (94.6%, which is extremely high considering that in our school everybody has 2 languages, hist, geo, philosophy and loads of other compulsory subjects along with their subjects of choice), he had an offer from cambridge, but he messed up the STEP papers and was rejected in the end. But on other courses people from my school get in with averages slightly above 85% so it is hard, but it can be extremely hard especially for those applying to courses like medicine, law or maths (even though not a popular choice cambridge is one of the leading unis in the world for maths and thats why its so hard) etc.
I am starting Computer Science at Durham next week, and I was interviewd by 3 of my 5 choices. Quite a few subjects will involve an interview.

Regarding loans, you get a loan for the exact amount of your tuition fees, then a maximum of 6,200 in combined loans (must be paid back) and grants (free monies).
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
it isn't easy, but its not impossible. if you are going to be predicted 3As for a level, you should apply. worst comes to the worst, you don't get in. its worth taking the risk because (and i'm sure this will offend pretty much everyone) the quality of teaching you receive is almost certainly the best in the country, if not the world. one on one tutorials with leading academics are pretty great.

3 A's?
Would that be the same as 3 Distinctions? Becuase the grades in my College are Pass, Merit, Distinction.

xx
Quote by AtticusNathy
3 A's?
Would that be the same as 3 Distinctions? Becuase the grades in my College are Pass, Merit, Distinction.

xx

i couldn't say for sure what the equivalent of an A is, or if there is one; the qualifications you're studying for might not even be accepted by oxford or cambridge. if you're in the uk and you aren't doing a levels, ib or scottish highers, you probably aren't on the right track to go oxbridge. can't say for certain though. although that said, if you're in wales you might be doing the welsh bac, but i don't know anything about that. i assumed it works like the ib but i might be wrong.
Last edited by Gurgle!Argh! at Sep 30, 2008,