no pun intended.

i see people that pull a whammy effect by kind of bending there neck and the horns of the body, can anyone clarify on how i could do this and if it hurts your bass in any way
You've seen people bend the horns and necks of a guitar without it breaking?

The only other way I know of doing it is a behind the nut bend. Just push on the string somewhere between the nut and the tuner peg.
i think your thinking of a divebomb. it when u push the back of the neck with your fretting hand as hard as you can and push the fretboard with your picking hand as hard as you can.
but you kinda need a tremelo system, and i dont think they have any for the bass. make oneup! you can also lift your bridge and push on it with your hand.
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
You've seen people bend the horns and necks of a guitar without it breaking?

The only other way I know of doing it is a behind the nut bend. Just push on the string somewhere between the nut and the tuner peg.

yes im aware of that method, but have a look at this, and you will see what im talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmyM5uCRzQ

:49 seconds in
I know what you mean. Randy Rhoads does it a lot on the Les Paul. It's actually just bending the neck a little by pulling that towards the strings and pushing the horn of the body down. It makes the notes lower in pitch like you're using a wang bar. But I recommend only doing it a tiny bit, Mick Ronson (David Bowie's guitarist) used to do it all the time and broke his neck countless times.
well for the high pitch shifting whammy stuff, doing the occasional really high tap and move it up a few frets works nicely. and for something similar try the odd pinch harmonic. ive been working on those techniques lately to add some spice to my playing.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Sep 28, 2008,
Quote by Les Paul Ell
I know what you mean. Randy Rhoads does it a lot on the Les Paul. It's actually just bending the neck a little by pulling that towards the strings and pushing the horn of the body down. It makes the notes lower in pitch like you're using a wang bar. But I recommend only doing it a tiny bit, Mick Ronson (David Bowie's guitarist) used to do it all the time and broke his neck countless times.

Considering Randy's dead, he doesn't do it now.

Proper term is did
you could get a Kahler for your bass
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
you could get a Kahler for your bass

speaking of bass.. i wonder if you can do pinch harmonics on a bass
Quote by XianXiuHong
Considering Randy's dead, he doesn't do it now.

Proper term is did

K, thanks. A new level of pickiness has been achieved! But yeah, you can say he does it a lot on the recordings. If you're listening along and a really cool riff is coming up, you can say "he does a really cool riff here". You don't have to actually say "he did a really cool riff here". If I'm making any sense to you..
Lol hes not talking about a dive bomb. Yeah I do it on my LP, I push down at the top of the body and push the neck up, you wouldn't want to do it to hard though
HI
Les Claypool has a trem on his bass... it looks awesome!
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
Im gonna imagine any kind of wammy for a bass isnt going to be cheap or easy to find. And bending the neck is a really good way to break it. Get a wammy pedal and mod it to work for a bass.
my friends squire strat had a crack in the back of the kneck so whenever he would move his guitar while play it would sound like he was whammying it
what kind of guitar do you have?

you can do behind the nut bends ala james burton. you can bend the neck, but it won't do your guitar any good - you may not break it but I wouldn't do that often
Quote by Les Paul Ell
K, thanks. A new level of pickiness has been achieved! But yeah, you can say he does it a lot on the recordings. If you're listening along and a really cool riff is coming up, you can say "he does a really cool riff here". You don't have to actually say "he did a really cool riff here". If I'm making any sense to you..

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to go with the guy who corrected you. It always pisses me off when somebody writes: "Dimebag USES this and that", "Jimi Hendrix HAS blahaha"

I guess you could use extreme bends.
Or just install a tremelo.
Quote by StratPat
Lol hes not talking about a dive bomb. Yeah I do it on my LP, I push down at the top of the body and push the neck up, you wouldn't want to do it to hard though

Yeah, I sometimes use that technique with my EC. But I don't want to use it too much, because I noticed after I did it repeatedly my guitar went out of tune a little. I'm also scared I'll break something.
deviantART ||| flickr
┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘┌( ^_^)┘
last.fm zune
coryklok is my e-hubby! ^_^
rip Billy Mays <3
i've heard a rumor that one time slash broke the neck to his guitar by trying to divebomb live. whether or not it is true, i dunno and whether or not you can get the desired effect by bending the neck, i also dunno. just get a guitar with a tremelo system.

ROFL at the guy above me. that was one of the first thoughts that went through my head
Quote by madshatter
i've heard a rumor that one time slash broke the neck to his guitar by trying to divebomb live. whether or not it is true, i dunno and whether or not you can get the desired effect by bending the neck, i also dunno. just get a guitar with a tremelo system.

ROFL at the guy above me. that was one of the first thoughts that went through my head

He broke it, it hit him in the lip and knocked him out cold.
Quote by madshatter

he did break his neck trying to do a dive bomb, but it wasnt live, he was playing with some people, i forget who, it wasnt with gnr or vr. it was in his book