ok so thisll be my first guitar. i have been practicing and learning loads on my good sisters acoustic but i wanna start learning electric. lets say i want a maybe cheap guitar but i also would like it to last me instead of buying a shit as guitar and than saying "oh thats it im good enough time to get a better one" i want one to stick with. i am looking for 2nd hand first as i dont have much money but i have saved a bit
ill be mainly playing metal
bands i wanna learn songs by : death, maiden, blind guardian, edguy, kamelot, dimmu borgir, deicide, sonata arctica
guitars ive found good in my price range:
fender squire
Monterey MGS16
either of these 2 good or should i go higher in my price range?
and any good recs?
im willing to go at 500 australian dollars or 414 usd
I'd say a Yahmaha Pacifica or something like that. They're good guitars.

Bearing in mind you'll need an amp. Do you have one already?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
A second hand schecter c-1 if you can find one would be good.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
DO NOT BUY A SQUIER! You could make a guitar out of cereal boxes and rubber bands that would turn out better. Look into a company called Indiana. I have their Ripley model and while its not good at all its probably the best guitar you can get thats cheap.
you need to save more. a 200 dollar guitar you WILL have to upgrade eventually. hell you'll want to upgrade a 500 dollar guitar eventually
you need an amp. for a practice amp i suggest the roland cube.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Quote by Toker420
DO NOT BUY A SQUIER! You could make a guitar out of cereal boxes and rubber bands that would turn out better. Look into a company called Indiana. I have their Ripley model and while its not good at all its probably the best guitar you can get thats cheap.

I have played a Squire extensively and it's not a bad guitar. Though I don't think it will fit his style since it's a 3xsingle coil setup.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Well I got an epiphone g-400 for my first guitar, and it's a pretty good one, and I'm sure will last me for quite a while. But seein as you want to play that stuff, I'd say some kind of ibanez. and as lil macker said, Yamaha Pacifica's are good starter guitars.

Hope I helped
Quote by Toker420

im sorry but i disagree with you. squiers take more punishment from people like you then they deserve.

i still play mine and it is my favourite. i learn everything on that guitar.
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
If you decide or can't find a well priced used guitar, check out Rondo Music. They have pretty cheap stuff that actually works and for the most part, doesn't sound that bad.
If you like it buy it then!
It'll last you a long time and due to having a nice guitar it'll inspire you to play better and do justice to it.

E-Married to Funny_Page
do NOT get the squire if ur gonna play metal. id suggest ibanez RG series and for an amp ur gonna need one with decent gain for metal.
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider III 15 :/
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell

Quote by acidrainman64
one time i walked into a sam ash store and asked for directions to guitar center
*Tries not to make comment about amp advise from a Spider owner...especially one that owns a Gibson Les Paul*

E-Married to Funny_Page
Lol. You're funny.
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT Flying V
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Line 6 Spider III 15 :/
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell

Quote by acidrainman64
one time i walked into a sam ash store and asked for directions to guitar center
Get an ESP. You can find a cheaper LTD in the 200 range, plus bands like Blind Guardian and Dimmu use them. Granted they are not going to be as good as a more expensive model, but if you're just learning than you can get a guitar that sounds good for what you want, as well as looks cool for what you play

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-M53-Electric-Guitar?sku=515729

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-M100FM-Electric-Guitar?sku=516643

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-KH202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Electric-Guitar?sku=542073

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH250NT-Electric-Guitar?sku=516687

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/-LTD-M200-Electric-Guitar?sku=521002

All those would be suitable for your style, and in your price range. I have played a few of them and they can pull off some chunky riffs and even some red-hot shredding leads. My only complaint is the cheaper LTDs are usually basswood, which is something you, as you're starting new to electric shouldn't have a problem with. When you've been playing for a while and have owned a few guitars, you can chose what you like for yourself. Still, you're not going to find many good Ibanez or jackson that aren't basswood either, so it's not a big deal.
Last edited by Mr. Hand at Sep 28, 2008,