Page 1 of 2
Well, I finished my third guitar. Just like the first two, this one's a little different.

Where to begin.....

Well, it looks like a Les Paul painted with a Fender color, but what it is, is actually a neck through solid maple hollowed out flamed maple Les Paul.

Specs.:

Planet waves tuners
Dr .11 strings
Stew. Mac. Hot Rod dual truss rod
roller stud mounted bridge (from Stew. Mac.)
Bigsby B-7 vibrato
Dunlop Strap-lok's
Gibson Classic '57 pick ups
Gibson 500k pots.
Switchcraft 3-way and jack
standard Les Paul wiring
Hoveland Musicaps
vintage bone nut
ebony fretboard
abalone inlays and side markers
flamed maple thru-neck construction
flamed maple hollow body wings
Fender Vintage Cream color coat (ReRanch)
white primer (ReRanch)
Deft nitrocellulose lacquer clear coat over color coat
Tru-oil for back of body and neck
rare earth magnets for holding covers on back
cream binding for covers
hand made flamed maple truss rod cover, pick-up rings, and pick guard

Here are a few pictures of it...

even though im sitting down, i give it a standing ovation.
Quote by nodice182
Denny Crane.

Quote by dmiwshicldply
touche vman, touche

mate. feed. kill. repeat.
that is one of the sexiest guitars i have ever seen. i bet it sounds fantastic too. why did you go with a cream color rather than something that would show off the flamed maple?
very nice. how hard was the wiring to do? I'm considering a build myself
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Personally i wouldn't have painted a solid colour over such a nice wood but it's your guitar and you've done a fine job on it so that's 2 thumbs up from me.

Quote by vmanoman
even though im sitting down, i give it a standing ovation.

only chuck norris can do that i'm afraid.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by scuba4u
that is one of the sexiest guitars i have ever seen. i bet it sounds fantastic too. why did you go with a cream color rather than something that would show off the flamed maple?

The wood under the killer Fender Vintage Cream isn't nearly as nice as the back would suggest.... hense; the paint. I was going to do it this way even before I bought anything, but after I got the boards, it soildified my thinking.

Here's what I started with...
Quote by bv310
very nice. how hard was the wiring to do? I'm considering a build myself

The wiring I did was straight Les Paul; very easy.
Did you have another thread about this a couple months ago??
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
Did you have another thread about this a couple months ago??

I have posted the other two guitars I've made here, but not this one before. I just finished it up last weekend.
Here are the three that I've made so far;

... And no, I'm not short, I'm 5'10", My son , (middle), and my Fiance's son, (right), are tall.
All your guitar's look fantastic, man, well done.

On this one though, how are the cover's on the back of it held on? Doesn't look like there are any screws.
Quote by snot_foster25
All your guitar's look fantastic, man, well done.

On this one though, how are the cover's on the back of it held on? Doesn't look like there are any screws.

I wanted the back to be as clean looking as possible, so I didn't use any screws to clutter it up, and the same goes for the truss rod cover. I used rare earth magnets to hold them in place.

I made stands inside the body, (remember it's hollow to reduce weight). Once the stands were made, I drilled a hole in one end of them and countersunk a screw in them. I put the magnets in the covers to line up with the screw heads. I countersunk the screw heads so they were past being flush with the wood, that way I could back the screws out 1/4 turn or a 1/2 turn or whatever I needed to level the covers up.
nice, the only thing i dont like is how the scrathplates attached, would look better if it was flat on the body in my opinion but thats mine and not yours :P

congrats dude
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Rofl yeah dude... thats how they put on LP pickguards....

Also, what a classy guitar! I bet it plays like butter, totally awesome man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Øttər
Rofl yeah dude... thats how they put on LP pickguards....

Also, what a classy guitar! I bet it plays like butter, totally awesome man.

Maybe he's never had the opportunity to hold or play a real Les Paul, but yes, that's how they are made. I really don't get it, but I think it must have to do with being a carved top.

All of the electronics, (look at the list of parts on page #1), are straight Gibson, and I used a Gibson blueprint I bought from Stewart MacDonald, so it plays and sounds like a Gibson. I have to tell you, the damn thing sounds great! It is silky smooth, fat, and warm. Crank up the gain a bit, throw in a little reverb and it makes it thicker yet. It sounds incredible.
That is an amazing build, plus it looks more like a Gibson than a lot of stuff Gibson have made! Well done! Try not to get a lawsuit, you know how they get angry at being beaten at their own game.
Quote by ohspyro89
Are you from Akron Ohio? I saw it under your name and wondered.

I go to the University of Akron actually. I come home about every weekend to build my own guitars too, ha!

Sweet build though, the flame is amazing.

I live in Barberton with my fiance. No one outside the area has ever hear of it, but a lot of people know where Akron is.

My son is taking classes at the U. as well. He's a high school Junior and takes his advanced classes for college credits, (free I might add), at Akron U.

On a side note... I know the guy who drew/created Zippy. Small world.
Quote by Meddled
That is an amazing build, plus it looks more like a Gibson than a lot of stuff Gibson have made! Well done! Try not to get a lawsuit, you know how they get angry at being beaten at their own game.

lol, and thank you. I would have a hard time beating them at thier game! I think that only comes into play when you put thier logo on it and try to sell it as a Gibson. You can see my logo on it, I'm damn proud of it, and it's staying put!
Quote by CroneR
your bridge pickup has a hand on it ^^

It's a big pick up! It has a house on it too!!
Quote by LP Addict
looks like your bigsby is crooked, and no its not because of the TOM bridge. looks sexy though.

Hate to dissapoint, but the Bigsby isn't crooked. Look at the last picture of the back. At the bottom, you will see the Dunlop strap button in the middle of the neck blank. The Bigsby surrounds the strap button in the middle of the guitar.

Must be something with the angle that I shot the picture from.
Quote by JDizzle787
Those look like very, very fine pieces of work. I love this third one, it's absolutely beautiful, i just hope they paly and sound as great as they look!

Thanks dude. They are all very different from one another, but all are very nice if I say so myself.

I can tell that I am getting better at building as they have all gotten better along the way.
Quote by J_48_Johnson
I live in Barberton with my fiance. No one outside the area has ever hear of it, but a lot of people know where Akron is.

My son is taking classes at the U. as well. He's a high school Junior and takes his advanced classes for college credits, (free I might add), at Akron U.

On a side note... I know the guy who drew/created Zippy. Small world.

I do know where barberton is, even before I came to Akron. I actually live in Orrville. Just 585 to 57 and you're there! I always knew of it because of Winks, that place with the old cars and chicken wings...mmm.

Anyhow, it's cool to find a local builder with such skill!

By the way, where do you get your lumber? Have you checked out Keim Lumber in Charm? It's amazing, I would suggest it. They have a piece of bubinga curl for 3 grand. It's about 4x8 feet and 2 inches thick. It's pretty sweet!
Quote by ohspyro89
I do know where barberton is, even before I came to Akron. I actually live in Orrville. Just 585 to 57 and you're there! I always knew of it because of Winks, that place with the old cars and chicken wings...mmm.

Anyhow, it's cool to find a local builder with such skill!

By the way, where do you get your lumber? Have you checked out Keim Lumber in Charm? It's amazing, I would suggest it. They have a piece of bubinga curl for 3 grand. It's about 4x8 feet and 2 inches thick. It's pretty sweet!

I know where Orrville is too. A friend of mine grew up in Applecreek, and some friends of ours live down that way in Canal Fulton, and Clinton.

Last year I was working on the power house in Conesville on the other side of Coshockton. I used to see Keim's advertisements around but never called them. I was going to, but I found the wood I wanted on E-Bay when I started the build on the second one. Some day when we get rained out, maybe I'll take a drive down that way and check out Keim.
ohspyro89:

I checked out your double cut away build... very nice, very nice indeed! I have a bunch of pictures from my builds as well.

One of your posts says something about the neck being chunky... this one is a bit chunky too! I would imagine for the same reason... it felt good in my hand, and I didn't want to carve into the truss rod mounting groove.

Did you graduate from Orrville in 89? You may know my friend from Applecreek... Kasserman or Kassermen was his last name. He and his brother graduated around there somewhere as well.
That's pure ruddy beauty
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Page 1 of 2