Ok to clean everything up, I may as well jsut make this a general topic, all the songs are in my profile. At the moment I'm specifically lookign for views on the riffs for Psuedo Utopia.

Well this is the first time I've had a "decent" microphone to record anything and I've had this riff going around for a while. It's not all that heavy which is why I have the ? in the title. No matter how hard I try I can't record it without the acoustic sound of the strings and Audacity seems to have a slight mute to it. So it's not great quality but definitely a lot better than what I've had previously.

I want opinions on it, be as harsh as you want as long as it's constructive. I really want to know what I should improve with my riffs to make them great. Crit for Crit of course.

UPDATE: Added a new riff, it's the chorus to my WIP song What do you want from me
Last edited by Tomo009 at Oct 2, 2008,
Sounds alright to me. but a tip for recording - Move the mic closer to the amp, and move you and yoru guitar further away to help get rid of string twangggg.
Quote by Rox0r713
Nice! Kind of old-Metallica-esque. I'd like to hear it again with a better recording. . . A tip, since your mic is picking up your strumming, put the mic against your amp and a pillow on the other side to muffle (or squelch) non-amp sounds. Try it out and see if that helps.

I also heard a lot of Metallica more in your Untitled Riff 2 I believe it was, the one on the bottom of the recordings. It's a very solid main riff, could be used as a thrashy/ish verse riff. Very nice.

Thanks for critting my 74 song idea.

I'm not sure if you read the comment about the song, everything was recorded in one night after jamming on it for like 6 hours with the lead guitarist. So, the ending riff would ideally be the rhythm backing for a solo. Is the riff too boring even for a backing?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by Deece
Sounds alright to me. but a tip for recording - Move the mic closer to the amp, and move you and yoru guitar further away to help get rid of string twangggg.

Quote by Rox0r713
Nice! Kind of old-Metallica-esque. I'd like to hear it again with a better recording. . . A tip, since your mic is picking up your strumming, put the mic against your amp and a pillow on the other side to muffle (or squelch) non-amp sounds. Try it out and see if that helps.

I managed to fix that problem with my newer recordings, except i did it a bit differently. I actually placed the amp/mic in a different room with the coor almost closed and played from the other room.

Quote by StillSoundRG
I also heard a lot of Metallica more in your Untitled Riff 2 I believe it was, the one on the bottom of the recordings. It's a very solid main riff, could be used as a thrashy/ish verse riff. Very nice.

Thanks for critting my 74 song idea.

I'm not sure if you read the comment about the song, everything was recorded in one night after jamming on it for like 6 hours with the lead guitarist. So, the ending riff would ideally be the rhythm backing for a solo. Is the riff too boring even for a backing?

Yeh i noticed listening back over the second untitled riff it kinda reminds me of the ride the lightning intro even though it's completely different. I also think i subconsciously was influenced with that last almost country sounding part of the riff.
Amazing what your mind does without you realising it.

Oh I didn't realise there was going to be a solo over that riff,I'd like to hear that.

PS: Thank you all for your comments
Quote by lookimsosofunny
pretty damn good, just the whole picking up on the strumming needs to be fixed.

If you mean up strokes, the only time i did them in those recordings was the palm muted chromatic part in the intro to Psuedo Utopia.

If you mean i need to be mroe accurate with my picking, you're right.
i like the riffs they're kind of like metallica ****ed system of a down, but it's a good thing

like everyone said the recording quality is not to great and it doesn't seem as though you used a metronome, also maybe turning the highs and mids down a little on your amp and moving the mic a little further away might give it a beefier tone, honestly if you've got a band i'd want to hear this played with the full band, i see a lot of what you're going for can't be achieved with just guitar, especially in a metal song

thanks for the crit on mine
Don't you try and ask me your expiration date
Plans that forgot me 99 times
you'll be the one who opens the gate.

- Cedric Bixler Zavala

Founder of the UG RHPS fanclub....

to join simply amend sig..
well, it would be a lot better if you added some drum track

about your playing ... well, it seems to me that you are out of time very often, maybe its intended, but it doesnt really look like that

the riff I most liked what that one at 03:00, and the last one.

i didnt like you tone too much, sorry :S

work on your timing and get a better tone and you'll improve a lot!

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=967901
Quote by TenaciousLSD
i like the riffs they're kind of like metallica ****ed system of a down, but it's a good thing

Haha well they are pretty much the only 2 bands i listen to often. I do try to not sound like them though.

Quote by TenaciousLSD

like everyone said the recording quality is not to great and it doesn't seem as though you used a metronomeYeh I was pretty sloppy and with some of them, my incredibly amatuer editing screwed with the timing a bit., also maybe turning the highs and mids down a little on your amp and moving the mic a little further away might give it a beefier tone, honestly if you've got a band i'd want to hear this played with the full bandSo would I , i see a lot of what you're going for can't be achieved with just guitar, especially in a metal song

thanks for the crit on mine

Quote by Gacel

well, it would be a lot better if you added some drum trackI shoudl prbably learn how to make them some time

about your playing ... well, it seems to me that you are out of time very often, maybe its intended, but it doesnt really look like thatYeh, same as above

the riff I most liked what that one at 03:00, and the last one.

i didnt like you tone too much, sorry :SIt's nothing liek what it sounds like properly, but my tone isn't great anyway. I want a heavier distortion that doesn't turn my sound into a constant fuzzy drone, anyone have any suggestions?

work on your timing and get a better tone and you'll improve a lot!

Thanks for the replies
I think the riffs you have are pretty good, its probably just a matter of cleaning up the recording tone, you could try using eq to bring out the tones you want and dont want. My favorite riff was the one that started at around 2:44, then it played again at the end. It sounded like you had a bass string going underneath everything and the rhythm was great. I'd vote to hear more riffs like that but thats just me. Good work and keep playin!

c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=972442