just wondering if the wattage actually makes a difference in volume, or if the speaker/amount of speakers matters more?
eg. would a 30 watt through a 112 sound louder than a 50watt through a 112?
also, would a 5 watt amp through a 412 cab sound louder cranked than a 50 watt through a 112?

thanks in advance...hope its clear

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
just wondering if the wattage actually makes a difference in volume, or if the speaker/amount of speakers matters more?
eg. would a 30 watt through a 112 sound louder than a 50watt through a 112?
also, would a 5 watt amp through a 412 cab sound louder cranked than a 50 watt through a 112?

thanks in advance...hope its clear

I think in those examples, the 50 watt would be louder in the first case, but I'm not 100% sure on the second, I'd like to say it's the 50 watt again. Also, speaker efficiency comes in to play too. A 50 watt amp through speakers with 96db efficiency (there are such, right?) will probably be more quiet than a 30 watt amp through speakers with 103db efficiency.

Bottom line: 30 watts might be enough, 50 watts should be (speaking of tube amps). That's if you can be miced up at gigs anyway.

Edit: Oh, and you have to remember that wattage doesn't equal volume. Almost always more wattage means more volume, but it also depends on the design of the amps, and like said, the speakers.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Generally a larger number of speakers makes an amp sound 'louder' (because they're pushing more air) but higher wattage going through the speakers is really what affects loudness.

Volume varies from amp to amp, too - it's not necessarily the wattage but how well they use it. Higher wattage means more headroom.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
speaker efficiency
comparing Celestion's lineup
G12 Century : Sensitivity 102dB
G12M 'Greenback' : Sensitivity 98dB

thats 4 decibels of a difference!
thats like going from a 30watt amp to a 100watt amp just by changing the speaker

5watts .vs. 50watts
power is power, the 50 watts is going to be twice as loud (rough estimate )

though a 5 watt amp can be surprisingly loud (might not want to do anything larger than a coffee shop with it but it'll piss of your neighbours)

the thing the will probably make more a difference in the 1x12" vs 4x12" thing is speaker distortion (just one speaker will be pushed to the edge, that'll add some grit = some extra harmonics = some extra loudness, with 4 speakers the power will be evenly distributed) and how well it spreads out the sound (more applicable for larger rooms)
Last edited by seljer at Sep 28, 2008,
My example is the 5 watt Vj 8" speaker (combo) vs 12" speaker (cab). The cab is a bit louder. Peavey transtube 40 watt SS 10" speaker is alot louder then the 12" Vj. Don't know about twice as loud, but it will get the cops to my house (yeah, it's happened a few times.) My Vox DA 20 20watts with 2x8's is about the same volume wise as the VJ 12" Watts makes the most difference.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD