My friends Les Paul just took a dive and the head stock snapped right at the nut/truss rod cover. The binding is keeping it together.

1) How much can we expect a repair to cost?
2) Should we cut the strings to avoid neck tension?
Quote by lylewithans182
My friends Les Paul just took a dive and the head stock snapped right at the nut/truss rod cover. The binding is keeping it together.

1) How much can we expect a repair to cost?
2) Should we cut the strings to avoid neck tension?

100-200 dollars probably. Say goodbye to your resale value.
The headstock is broken, there is no tension...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's not a big deal. Tell him to save every tiny piece of wood he can. The headstock will be stronger then it was before and this is common - although it will hurt the value - unless he refins it white or black so you can hide it - although this would not be ethical.

If it's a Gibson tell him I'll buy it if he doesn't want to sell it. He can even keep the pickups, hardware, etc...
ok thanks guys. Do you know if a place like guitar center or sam ash will fix this type of problem or will we need to take it to a luthier?
take it to a luthier or send it to someone. Ed Roman fixed a Les Paul break for me when he was in CT and you couldn't even see it.
Quote by lylewithans182
ok thanks guys. Do you know if a place like guitar center or sam ash will fix this type of problem or will we need to take it to a luthier?

They do fix the stuff, a luthier would do it better though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Guitar center contracts a luthier/tech company that will work on it. shouldnt cost much.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12