Page 1 of 3
My wife's family are going to my house for Thanksgiving.

She (my wife) expects me to buy a PS3 to keep him occupied. He is a freshman in high school so I think that would make him 12 or 13.

He does play guitar but after reading that meth lab uncle post I don't want this kid messing with my guitars.

I don't like kids playing video games and the only games I have for PS3 are GTA and the like which he shouldn't be playing.

I want to take the $500.00 and buy him a guitar to play. My wife says I should use that to buy him a PS3 and some games.

What do you young people think would be a better present?

+ It will also be his birthday when he is here. I guess it makes me a bad brother in law that I don't know how old he is.
PS3.

A 12 or 13 year old would probably prefer that.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Guitar, can turn to a great hobby.
-I don't believe this, my girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

-In a row?
He already plays guitar. I got him an SG Classic when he first wanted to play.

My wife says PS3 because the kids next door are those stay in the dark and play games all day. I like this because I don't have to see them - they didn't even come over to use my pool this summer - which is fine as they probably have the geets.

I don't want to make this kid a fat gamer. My wife says I'm out of touch with the young people - I think this is good because otherwise Chris Hanson may be after me.

Also, my wife is all excited about the NKOTB reunion show tonight so I say she's out of touch, as I am still cool.
find out what guitar he has, if you can buy him a guitar thats better than the one he already, then guitar would be a great present, if he already has a great guitar, then buyin him a guitar thats worse than his current one would make it a not so great present, if he douesnt have a ps3, a ps3 is ALWAYS a gd present, with some sensible games.
Peavey Valveking 212

Ibanez S520EX in grey
Guitar,, Duhh.
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
if he has a electric guitar, maybe you could think about new amp?

i'd like amp or guitar much more than PS3.. i'm not much older than him, but maybe he thinks different..

wish you luck
jesus

im used to just getting jumpers and socks and unuseful items from anyone who isnt in my direct family for birthdays :O

wel id imagine hed want a ps3
so getting that would satisfy him now :P
but hed grow out of the omg gamer phase

hes less likely to grow out of a guitar

id buy a guitar
Guitar dude, every time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I don't want to get him an amp because I'll have to ship it back to them and it's heavy because if I had to buy an amp for a kid it would have to be a full stack as anything else would not be cool.
Guitar. PS3 sucks
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
get him the ps3, he already has a guitar so why would he realy need another at 12 years old? just cause you get him a ps3 doesnt mean he is going to end up a fat gamer, lots of people like to play games every now and again
Don't what ever you do get him a PS3. Get him a 360.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by SenorSmiley
He already plays guitar. I got him an SG Classic when he first wanted to play.

My wife says PS3 because the kids next door are those stay in the dark and play games all day. I like this because I don't have to see them - they didn't even come over to use my pool this summer - which is fine as they probably have the geets.

I don't want to make this kid a fat gamer. My wife says I'm out of touch with the young people - I think this is good because otherwise Chris Hanson may be after me.

Also, my wife is all excited about the NKOTB reunion show tonight so I say she's out of touch, as I am still cool.

I take offense to that. Iam actually a semi-professional gamer. I work out every morning Monday to Friday and every other Saturday from 8 AM to 12:00 or 1:00. I train MMA on these days. The PS3 is a great buy. Its a blue ray player and if you ever seen the prices on those the PS3 is a great buy. Although I don't play my PS3 too much its still a good investment. BUT heres the deal. You can buy me a guitar and I wont complain.
Quote by SenorSmiley
I don't want to get him an amp because I'll have to ship it back to them and it's heavy because if I had to buy an amp for a kid it would have to be a full stack as anything else would not be cool.

thats really not true, but i guess bigger amps are more attractive
and u sed he has an SG classic...and arent those like thousand dollar guitars? or is it an epiphone?
if its an epiphone, get him a guitar, but if its a gibson, then why would you want to buy him a guitar thats not as good as the one he already has?
am i missing something?

EDIT: btw, you turn 15 in your freshman year of high school...
Quote by Hereiwas
Don't what ever you do get him a PS3. Get him a 360.

Why? So he can have unlimited amounts of problems with it? Those things wear out quicker than a hooker.
if he already has a guitar to play, it wouldn't make any sense to buy him another one. that SG is a very nice guitar for a beginner and buying another one, to me, would be a waste. so i would go with the ps3. and for a freshman, he would be 14-15.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by RichieKotzen
I take offense to that. Iam actually a semi-professional gamer. I work out every morning Monday to Friday and every other Saturday from 8 AM to 12:00 or 1:00. I train MMA on these days. The PS3 is a great buy. Its a blue ray player and if you ever seen the prices on those the PS3 is a great buy. Although I don't play my PS3 too much its still a good investment. BUT heres the deal. You can buy me a guitar and I wont complain.

Agreed. Its pretty sad how many people believe stereotypes these days.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by stratdud39
thats really not true, but i guess bigger amps are more attractive
and u sed he has an SG classic...and arent those like thousand dollar guitars? or is it an epiphone?
if its an epiphone, get him a guitar, but if its a gibson, then why would you want to buy him a guitar thats not as good as the one he already has?
am i missing something?

EDIT: btw, you turn 15 in your freshman year of high school...

Well, I guess he's going to be 15 then.

Of course I got him a Gibson when he started playing. I wouldn't waste money on an Epi - unless it was pre 1970.
Quote by SenorSmiley

Of course I got him a Gibson when he started playing. I wouldn't waste money on an Epi - unless it was pre 1970.

I really hope it was a Melody Maker. No starter needs a Gibson.

• Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
A guitar will never be obsolete.
A guitar will not require dropping 60 bucks every so often on games.

That said, the PS3 is way better than a 360. We have both, and the PS3 gets played much more.

But the guitar, even a cheap one, is a better investment. In 10 years, any game console will be totally obsolete and worthless.
Quote by sinister midget
A guitar will never be obsolete.
A guitar will not require dropping 60 bucks every so often on games.

That said, the PS3 is way better than a 360. We have both, and the PS3 gets played much more.

But the guitar, even a cheap one, is a better investment. In 10 years, any game console will be totally obsolete and worthless.

Yep, like my SNES
Guitar hands down =D
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Quote by SenorSmiley

no beginner should have a gibson as there first guitar...
but since he already has a gibson, theres no point in getting him a new one that's not as good.
what type of amp DOES he have, anyway?
I have a PS3. They are awesome, but i prefer guitar, and this 12 yr old guy will eventually prefer guitar, if he practices.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!

ok mr. superior.

its a game ffs, its not replacing guitar, lighten up.

also what kind of an idiot buys a kid a gibson sg as their first guitar jesus. talk about spoiled rotten, and now your gonna splash the cash on giving him yet another or even a ps3. catch a grip man. also your stereotypes of gamers are ridiculous, if every gamer fell into your stereotype half the country would be morbidly obese.
Quote by SenorSmiley
My wife's family are going to my house for Thanksgiving.

She (my wife) expects me to buy a PS3 to keep him occupied. He is a freshman in high school so I think that would make him 12 or 13. ...

My wife says I should use that to buy him a PS3 and some games. ...

You should defer to your Commander-in-Chief ... she obviously knows her bro more than you do. Listen to the wife.

Being 20 years old and not much of a gamer, I'd suggest a guitar. However, if I were back to being 12/13, I'd probably rather being playing video games because my interest in guitar had hardly began to spike. This is obviously going to be different for everyone, though.
Quote by ch715dallat

ok mr. superior.

its a game ffs, its not replacing guitar, lighten up.

also what kind of an idiot buys a kid a gibson sg as their first guitar jesus. talk about spoiled rotten, and now your gonna splash the cash on giving him yet another or even a ps3. catch a grip man. also your stereotypes of gamers are ridiculous, if every gamer fell into your stereotype half the country would be morbidly obese.

No need for personal attacks. I just stated my opinion on a very silly game.

Its like playing SIMON on a toy guitar, with music.

Quote by SenorSmiley

I think I found my long-lost uncle! It's you! Seriously, my uncle might get me a strap for my guitar for my birthday. But he's really into paintball so I have a bunch of paintball crap from him that I never use..
Does he ever use the Gibson? Like is he half-descent at it? Or does he just know how to play "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? If he's actually into it, and doesn't just play because you give him stuff, then get him a new guitar (or gear like an amp/pedals) but if he just messes around with it every once in a while, then get him the PS3.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Quote by stratdud39
no beginner should have a gibson as there first guitar...
but since he already has a gibson, theres no point in getting him a new one that's not as good.
what type of amp DOES he have, anyway?

My first electric guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Standard that was used. Before that I played two years on my dad's 50's Fender Strat that he bought in the early 60's.

This "no beginner deserves..." thing is total BS. When my kids are old enough to play I'll buy them a good guitar because it makes learning a lot easier.
Page 1 of 3