Like it kinda sounds like snares, what's it called to do it on a guitar? And how do you do it?
You slap your right hand down on the strings making a muted sound. Usually you do this on the same beat as the snare. John Mayer and Jason Mraz do this alot too. Listen to Why Georgia, The Heart of Life, Stop This Train, or just about any acoustic thing John Mayer does.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

He mutes all the strings intermittently in his strumming patterns and strums them hard to get that loud chug. He uses his hand most of the time instead of a pick which gives it more depth. The louder popping sounds are actually slaps where he mutes the strings and comes down with his thumb on the low E string.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
You've never just hit the strings with your thumb and made that noise? i think its pretty much that, except with some actual style or something. also, i don't really know the name of it.
How would you mute the strings, so that you can hit it make it sound like a snare? Do you need to do anything with your left hand?
keep your left hand in the shape of the chord you're playing, just lift a little pressure off so you're not actually pressing any of the strings down to the frets. It only really works with barre chords obviously (wihch he plays 99% of the time) so no open strings can ring out.
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
hit with your hand like a karate chop in a downward motion while swinging your pick across the strings.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
tilt your right (picking) hand to the side and lay it on the strings to stop the strings from playing, then try to strum it with your right hand still there, that will give you a percussive sound without having to worry about your left hand...if you don't get it, tell me and I will make a video showing it.
Oh please, can you show me with a video, that would be much better. Also I don't use picks.

Thanks
you just mute the strings and give it a good hit/strum giving an accent on the low E string for a deeper sound
Pot
Kettle
Black