I was considering getting a new amp a while ago but I think im going to get a new guitar first.

I play metalcore/deathmetal and a bit of hardcore

- combination between as I lay dying and carnifex

I want a guitar that will give me a heavy sound but also one which i can shred up and do sweeps and stuff

im looking at LTDs?

I've got an Ibanez GRG atm with a metal zone pedal
im personally going to get the ltd mh-400 whenever i get the money.
Lots of fairly heavy bands use S series Ibanez' they're very thin and as far as i'm aware, light weight, and their necks are built for speed, yet you can get one hell of a heavy sound out of one. Failing that, a Demmelition king V :P
I've got an LTD Ex-400. It's the older model with two EMG-81 pickups and sounds great for any type of metal. The price on it was recently lowered and there are a few new LTD models with the same basic specs. Look into those a bit.
Well, Amps are much more important in the tone department, so if your amp is crappy, replace that first.
Quote by abhorsen12
Lots of fairly heavy bands use S series Ibanez' they're very thin and as far as i'm aware, light weight, and their necks are built for speed, yet you can get one hell of a heavy sound out of one. Failing that, a Demmelition king V :P

I kinda dislike Ibanezs when used for rhythm playing... their necks are too flimsy
how about a jackson RR5 Or a Jackson RR24.
ESP LTD F-414FM
ESP LTD F-415FM
ESP LTD B5-E
Ibanez SRX355
Ibanez SRA505
Ibanez BTB775PB
SWR 750X
SWR Megoliath 8x10 Cab
What is your budget?
Where are you located in the world? (and what currency)
Can you go second hand?
Do you need versatility?
Do you need a trem?
thanks for all the replies

I apologies for the lack of info :P

anyways

i would say my budget is 400/500 absolute tops

and atm I practice with a Marshall MG15dx

I use a marshall stack in one band i play in (grindcore/metalcore) however this amp is not mine

and i go through a pa in another band however i do need to invest in my own amp

I come from the UK, I can go second hand

I think that was all the questions?
Check out the Washburn X50PRO (GAK pictures do not do it justice whatsoever), Ibanez RGA121, Jackson SLSMG (Second hand), Schecter C-1 Classic / Hellraiser, Jackson DK2M... there are more, but it's too late for me to remember.
I've been looking into the ESP's and LTD's - there the same thing right?

Anyways they have produced so many series and I would like o know which series would be good for me? (metalcore/hardcore/grindcore)
Quote by Krancos
I've been looking into the ESP's and LTD's - there the same thing right?

Anyways they have produced so many series and I would like o know which series would be good for me? (metalcore/hardcore/grindcore)

ESP is a guitar company based in Japan and produce Japanese guitars; i.e. high quality.

LTD is a subsidiary company of ESP and produce Korean / Indonesian guitars. They are of good quality but not as good as ESP. Think of Gibson and Epiphone as an example.

That doesn't necessarily mean LTD guitars are bad though! Any LTD guitar model of 400 or above (e.g. MH400, EX400, EC400) are generally good. The lower models (e.g. EC50, MH100 etc.) are not very good and tend to be overpriced for what they are.

Sadly in UK, ESP / LTD are uber overpriced compared to the US, so you may not find a good LTD guitar for the money. Look into Schecter, they are rather similar in terms of build and specs.
Amp first if its questionable or if you have to think about guitar or amp, I'm going to get real sick of explaining this... (if you have a good amp than ignore this)
Amp= MOST of your tone
Guitar = as long as its playable, a minor aspect of your tone.
/thread if you arent going to list you have an MG
Yeah amp BEFORE guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah amp BEFORE guitar.

Why? In the band he plays a Marshall tube amp. Practice on a SS amp aint so bad.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Meh, It's still an MG LP... At least get a decent SS amp (Peavey Transtube, maybe).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeh well where i practice amps arn't an issue really but im going to start gigging soon so I need my own equipment

and im getting rather fed up with my ibanez
the LTD MH-400 looks mint however i dont really want to pay 600 for a guitar

maybe 400 tops
I will say one thing, I wouldnt recommend getting a guitar with active pickups if you're playing through an MG15.
I say this because i've noticed that many ESP's/LTD's come with EMG 81's etc.
Just my opinion, when I played with EMG's on my old MG30DFX, it did not sound good.
Good luck finding a killer axe!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Studio Ebony/Gold
Jackson RR5 Ivory w/Black Pinstripes
Epiphone Les Paul 100 *For Sale*
Yamaha FX370C
Marshall AVT150HX + AVT4x12
Schecter Hellraiser and Schecter Blackjack ATX..... It just doesnt get more metal than that!

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR (18volt mod)
Epiphone Gothic Explorer (with SD Blackouts)
Ibanez RG350M Yellow
Peavey C5 Tigerwood 5string bass
Randall RH150G3
they look mint - which one would you recommend out of the two? IS there any real advantage of the hellraiser over the blackjack?
Last edited by Krancos at Oct 12, 2008,