Ok so i'm getting into electronics, like with effects pedals and maybe eventually amps. I'm pretty good at soldering, but i still need to learn how to read schematics and about how all the capacitors, resistors, Transistors etc. I have a Boss DS1 that i would love to mod as my first project, but i don't wanna screw it up, any suggestions/ideas?
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Put leds in it that flash!
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by Hereiwas

No thats just gay.

There's a guy here who has a cool mod for a DS-1 but i cant remember which person it was. Might have been Invader Jim? I cant remember.

EDIT: What do you want to do? What do you think will compliment your sound the most? There's a few simple distortion pedals you can build. Modding pedals is kind of hard.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Sep 28, 2008,
Quote by Hereiwas

That is not really hard at all. A better idea might be to build something simple like an LPB-1, a Rangemaster, or a Fuzz Face.

EDIT: Final !mpact, it was Kurtlives91. Invader Jim bent his DS-1. Also Robert Keeley (not from this forum) has some really widely used mods.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
That is not really hard at all. A better idea might be to build something simple like an LPB-1, a Rangemaster, or a Fuzz Face.

EDIT: Final !mpact, it was Kurtlives91. Invader Jim bent his DS-1. Also Robert Keeley (not from this forum) has some really widely used mods.

Ah well close enough.

A fuzz face is pretty simple. What about a kit? BYOC or something?
Quote by Final !mpact

EDIT: What do you want to do? What do you think will compliment your sound the most? There's a few simple distortion pedals you can build. Modding pedals is kind of hard.

Well i'd like to have various pedals that i can switch in and out for different sounds, like i want a pedal i can get and sound out of, and even if it's turned to the lowest setting it'll still sound great. I'll start wherever i need to, i mean i live close to a huge supply shop and i have a bunch of capacitors and resistors, and whatever those circular ish things are, from old electronics sitting around.
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by aaron00lee
Well i'd like to have various pedals that i can switch in and out for different sounds, like i want a pedal i can get and sound out of, and even if it's turned to the lowest setting it'll still sound great. I'll start wherever i need to, i mean i live close to a huge supply shop and i have a bunch of capacitors and resistors, and whatever those circular ish things are, from old electronics sitting around.

heres a guide to show you schematic symbols
fficial%26sa%3DN">fficial%26sa%3DN">http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://9w2bba.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/schematic-symbols_s.jpg&imgrefurl=http://9w2bba.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/&h=993&w=716&sz=363&hl=en&start=2&um=1&usg=__IgdexQQ2-7e2C6QH9O62ufi-vM4=&tbnid=S6NYP1ClkUrTcM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dschematic%2Bsymbols%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GBfficial%26sa%3DN

What effect are you looking for? I mean do you want a distortion or a fuzz or a chorus or what? If you give me more details i can pick out a pretty simple project you might like.
Quote by Final !mpact

Well i'd like to start with the simplest thing there is, but i could definitely use a good distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedal. I mean i have my ME20 but i mean multi effects can only be so good. One day i also wanna build an awesome delay, but i know they're hard.
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by aaron00lee
Well i'd like to start with the simplest thing there is, but i could definitely use a good distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedal. I mean i have my ME20 but i mean multi effects can only be so good. One day i also wanna build an awesome delay, but i know they're hard.

Yeah delay pedals are a bit advanced.

You can make a fuzz face clone. Its pretty easy.

Umm...

Orange Squeezer compressor
Green Ringer octave pedal is pretty easy (or so I've been told)
Distortion +

Yeah there some simpler projects (however i would start with the fuzz face. Its a very good beginners project)
Ok...so where can i learn how to build one and with what and stuff like that :P
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by aaron00lee
Ok...so where can i learn how to build one and with what and stuff like that :P

I'l find a link! hang on a sec.
Hmm...okay i guess i really know absolutely nothing about electronics, i mean i can see which ones are capacitors and which are resistors, and the theory behind using the board...but otherwise i'm just lost
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by aaron00lee
Hmm...okay i guess i really know absolutely nothing about electronics, i mean i can see which ones are capacitors and which are resistors, and the theory behind using the board...but otherwise i'm just lost

We all have to start somewhere!

I'm pretty tired right now. I'l talk you through it later if you want. Got an Email address?
Quote by Final !mpact
We all have to start somewhere!

I'm pretty tired right now. I'l talk you through it later if you want. Got an Email address?

yeah, aaron00lee@gmail.com...ok well see you later then
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
I could also help you out with a lot of stuff if you need any help with anything, just post here. Also I recommend not getting kits because for a large part they are ripoffs, and still hard or expensive if you buy the parts yourself. Plus it teaches you what parts you could need.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster