I'm looking for some online blind tests to see if I'm capable of hearing a difference between Tube and Solid State. I thought I could easily tell a difference, but reading a lot of peoples experiences with blind tests, they could not tell a difference...?
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
there have been some on this forum. none of which really had concordant results.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
what about listening to clips and deciding whether you actually like the tone, regardless of how it amplifies the sound
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
there have been a couple given on this site, try searching for something along the lines of blind tests. the most recent one i remember was pretty shoddy though, but i won't ruin it for you if you're gonna find it.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
The problem with blind tests is you can't feel the dynamics. Many SS amps sound very good (vettas, the expensive modeling software) but they lack the dynamics. Not to mention the over compression that occurs with most recordings posted to the net. Those two things make it difficult many times to tell the difference over the net.

I could care less what someones using as long as it sounds good, but when I'm playing I want a tube amp.

Edit: Also, there's the way it's mic'd and eq'd. You can make an amazing amp sound awful and a poor amp sound nice with proper mic placement and eq.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Also, there's the way it's mic'd and eq'd. You can make an amazing amp sound awful and a poor amp sound nice with proper mic placement and eq.

Whathesaid.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
You have to test it in person.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
You have to test it in person.

Wow, makes my posts seem pretty pointless, considering you just said the same things with 15% of the words I used.
While online blind tests can blur the differences between amps in the equalisation department, it does not change the characteristic of the distortion. Which means that if you fail to determine, which amp is tube by the sample, you just cant tell the difference. And all those excuses about lacking dynamics or whatnot is just ego protection, the basic human notion of not wanting to admit one is wrong.
Quote by 1337void
While online blind tests can blur the differences between amps in the equalisation department, it does not change the characteristic of the distortion. Which means that if you fail to determine, which amp is tube by the sample, you just cant tell the difference. And all those excuses about lacking dynamics or whatnot is just ego protection, the basic human notion of not wanting to admit one is wrong.

Have you ever played a tube amp? I find the clipping characteristics of tubes to be much more musical than SS amps.
Quote by 1337void

Umm, no. Some Valveking clips I've heard are just terrible. Honestly, they sound like SS. A bad mic can do that.
Quote by Lunchbox362
^You're unbelievably wrong. It's almost funny. You certainly can tell differences in dynamics in person.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
^You're unbelievably wrong. It's almost funny. You certainly can tell differences in dynamics in person.

It would be helpful if you'd read what I said. I said "some Valveking clips", as in recordings of Valveking using bad mics. I never argued you couldn't tell the difference in person.
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Fama
It would be helpful if you'd read what I said. I said "some Valveking clips", as in recordings of Valveking using bad mics. I never argued you couldn't tell the difference in person.

I think he meant the guy above you look at the post times.
^Sorry, i wasn't clear. i was addressing the man who claims that dynamics are an ego issue, not you.
my bad.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I have 9 clips in my profile named clip1 clip2 clip3 etc. 3 clips were regular solid state, 3 clips were modeling and 3 were from a tube amps. Take a listen if you feel like it and try to guess which is which.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
what about listening to clips and deciding whether you actually like the tone, regardless of how it amplifies the sound

This
Here's a good blind test- go to GC with a friend and sit facing away from the amps, then have them plug you into different amps.
It works best if they're amps you're not familiar with so you can't "cheat," and you'll probably want to have all the EQ flat to start.
Quote by theoreticmusic
^Sorry, i wasn't clear. i was addressing the man who claims that dynamics are an ego issue, not you.
my bad.

Ahh, no problem then
Quote by Lunchbox362
Quote by Fama
Umm, no. Some Valveking clips I've heard are just terrible. Honestly, they sound like SS. A bad mic can do that.

i'm betting if they were recorded better they wouldn't sound bad.

just like 90% of amp clips i hear around here.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by 1337void
Agreed. i've played SS amps that kick tube amps to the crub. everyone jumps on the bandwagon : tubes>SS, MGs suck, Digital sucks, any amp under 500$ sucks, etc.

tone is in the ear of the beholder. you think some smooth jazz guy is going to love Dimebag's tone? probably not, but many metal heads do like it. and vice versa, you think some black metal guitaritst is going to love someone like Joe Pass' tone? once again, probably not.

anyone can make an amp sound bad, but a skilled ear can make any amp sound good. i've heard an amateur plug into a Dr. Z and sound like sh*t. but i've seen videos of Satch playing through a guy's starter kit and sounding amazing

Tubes are not better than SS, and SS are not better than tubes. Tubes=SS.

end of story.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
IMO people can always tell good tone in any style, so long as they appreciate what the style demands tonally and evaluate whether the setup does it well or not.
Quote by Kivarenn82
i'm betting if they were recorded better they wouldn't sound bad.

just like 90% of amp clips i hear around here.

Do my clipz sound bad?
Quote by imgooley
Do my clipz sound bad?

The new mic helped a lot.

I agree with everyone that said clips aren't going to be a good way to judge. As was recommended more than once, go try them in person. I don't think you need a blind test, just an open mind. My guess is you will hear the richer fuller tones and feel the touch dynamics from your playing. People that think they can get that from their cheap SS amps are in denial. They are all welcome to come to my house anytime, and bring their amp.

Edit: Please note that I said "cheap" SS amps. High dollar SS is another story. Most here aren't playing Vetta's and JC'es.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 28, 2008,
try them in person, ive heard some awesome SS amps, and ive tried some tubes amps that i've disliked. they are two totally different animals.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional