Ok, so my high e string was getting some buzz for a few weeks. So a couple days ago, I adjusted the saddle on my Floyd Rose until it went away. But now, whenever I hit a note on that string, it sounds really badly out of tune, even if I tune it up perfectly. Like with distortion, it doesn't ring clear, the note vibrates pack and forth in pitch. How do I fix it?
Yeah, I noticed that too, but this is really bad. I actually have to stop playing after a while because it annoys me so much.
Quote by HighPotency
I saw youtube videos about this. The guy used Ernie Balls and they didn't oscillate.
link possibly? It might just be due to the fact that I have to use shitty Yamaha strings because its either them, or Gibson strings that cost $18 a pack. Although, the Fender ones are only twelve...
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Sep 28, 2008,
you adjusted string height?

you're going to have to adjust your intonation
It could be that The block that holds the string in the bridge is not sitting right with the string. It might be crooked or cracked. Just check it out with a magnifying glass and look for burrs on the metal (little blemishes or bumps) that could cause the string to oscillate.
Quote by seljer
you adjusted string height?

you're going to have to adjust your intonation
Yeah I adjusted the action but I don;t know how to do intonation. I know how to check for it (comparing 12th harmonic with 12th fret pitch?), but I don't know how to fix it
Quote by RX120D
It could be that The block that holds the string in the bridge is not sitting right with the string. It might be crooked or cracked. Just check it out with a magnifying glass and look for burrs on the metal (little blemishes or bumps) that could cause the string to oscillate.
That may be a problem too because my high e string has broken maybe three times in the last month or so at both ends of the guitar, while I haven't broken any of my other strings since May, And that was just because I got a friend who knew shit all about restringing a guitar to help me with it.
I had the exact same problem with my old guitar. If I were you, I'd take that string off, remove the little block from the bridge and check it over. I snapped strings every week on my old guitar until I found out the bridge blocks had burrs on them. I changed all the blocks... Never broke a string on it again. It's cheap to fix. A few bucks for new blocks. Just to be safe, look over the bridge saddles too. (Where the string lays on the bridge) Look for wear marks, indents, blemishes, scratches and burrs. If your strings are 'sticking' at the nut on the neck when you tune, take a sharpened pencil and just rub a little bit of the lead/graphite/whatever into the the string mounts. It will 'lube' the area where the strings rest.
Aww, I have to BUY new blocks? Shit, that's gonna be kinda hard, due to my locality. The nearest place that sells those is in a music store in St. Johns, which is on an island and 800km (500 miles) away.