A few years ago my friend was going to sell me an old Laney head that powered up but didn't make any sound. He wanted $100 or something for it. At the time I was working at a supermarket and $100 was a lot of money to me so I passed it up, not knowing what work would be done to get the thing working.

I found some old pics of the amp on my computer, how big of a mistake did I make of not buying it? How much are these things worth?

for $100 that would be a sweet ass amp

if it worked

otherwise, I think thats a Laney AOR 100
probably around $250ish for a working one, maybe more
Last edited by seljer at Sep 28, 2008,
Probably wouldn't have been much to fix, probably just some bad tubes.

I'd say decently large mistake.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
huge mistake

thats an AOR head (i think)

theyre notoriously unreliable so it couldve been tubes, couldve been something massive, but $100 plus tech fees would still be a sweet deal

EDIT: that looks to me like its been switched on with no cab connected

change huge mistake to lucky escape

if thats been switched on with no cab connected it will be trash, and likely very costly to fix
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by seljer
for $100 that would be a sweet ass amp

if it worked

otherwise, I think thats a Laney AOR 100
probably around $250ish for a working one, maybe more

$250 for a working one? I didn't screw up that bad then.
Quote by eurotrashed

maybe $400 if its in good condition

theres a pretty nice 30watt one on ebay currently at $290 and its still got 5 days till the auction ends
this guy was pretty rough around the edges, i think some of the pots seemed to be getting old too
helloooooooo

you can clearly see its switched on with no load connected, that thing's toast.

there'll be a lot of tech fees there
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
helloooooooo

I don't want to seem like a noob but the power cable isn't plugged in :/
Thanks for clearing this up!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
helloooooooo

If it was just on standby, there's no worries most likely. Most amps are safe to unplug speakers from when on standby, I wouldn't without checking the schematic though. I know it's safe on the vc30. In most cases when an amp is on standby, the tubes are basically just inactive lightbulbs.

^ In some of the pictures the tubes are lit up, therefore electricity must be getting to them.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Chrisiphone
I don't want to seem like a noob but the power cable isn't plugged in :/
Thanks for clearing this up!

3rd photo, the tubes are glowing

mrcarrot: good point but still, a broken AOR could be more bother than its worth
Quote by MrCarrot

^ In some of the pictures the tubes are lit up, therefore electricity must be getting to them.

And there's clearly no load plugged in from what I can tell. This seems to back up the theory of accidental frying through misuse.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
3rd photo, the tubes are glowing

mrcarrot: good point but still, a broken AOR could be more bother than its worth
Agreed.

personally I would go for it but i'd fix it up myself, if you're not technically able then it's probably too much worry.
Quote by Vulcan
And there's clearly no load plugged in from what I can tell. This seems to back up the theory of accidental frying through misuse.
Yeah way to read what I wrote.

Okay so if it was on standby, there's no worries. I wonder if you could get any gut shots of the amp TS?
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah way to read what I wrote.

Okay so if it was on standby, there's no worries. I wonder if you could get any gut shots of the amp TS?

As stated in my original post this was a few years ago, 5 years ago to be exact, and I just found pics on my computer
If you didnt really have the 100 bucks then not a mistake not to buy it. If it was just tubes then it may have not been a big deal to fix it. But if it was something else like the previous owner fired it up with out a speaker load then it would get expensive to fix.
My friend still has it. I never tackled anything as complicated as a 100 watt tube amp, but I am proficient at soldering and reading/understanding wire diagrams and have a basic knowledge of the physics behind electricty.

Worst case scenario, if it was powered up without a load, some resistors would be fried, right? What other type of damage? I'm guessing I would just have to go through with a DMM and see how much resistance/voltage is in different parts of the circuit?
Easiest/safest way in my opinion is... Since he still has it, borrow it and take it to a tech and see what the story is. I wouldn't go poking around in a 100 watt amp head without experience. It would probably only cost an hour of tech time to diagnose the issue, if any, with the amp. If it's minor - buy it. If it's toast, you only blew 1 hour of tech time to not make a big mistake.
Just my opinion, but if it's only a cheap fix - you win.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by eurotrashed

Not at all, and if you get it working, they sound great for classic/hard rock.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
So do you still have the option to buy this for $100 or is this all ancient history?

Also, you said back then it didn't make any sound. Was is plugged into a speaker cabinet at the time?

Something looks fried on that chassis. Is that pepsi or the result of a blown output transformer?

not sure on the Plexi question.
Tell him to sell that bitch to me. I'll fix it up real nice and purty.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Also, you said back then it didn't make any sound. Was is plugged into a speaker cabinet at the time?

Who do you think I am, a woman? haha

Of course it was hooked to a cab.

I'm going to see how cheap I can get it and fix it up, probably try and trade it for a lower wattage tube amp then.
Quote by eurotrashed
Who do you think I am, a woman? haha

Of course it was hooked to a cab.

I'm going to see how cheap I can get it and fix it up, probably try and trade it for a lower wattage tube amp then.

I had to ask. You never know around here.

i saw the power tubes glowing and no line out but would be too paranoid to do that myself. Ok...good luck man.

PS: There are some very bright women on this forum.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

PS: There are some very bright women on this forum.

If you took an average, the females here have more intelligent posts than the males. Jerry Garcia was right certainly in this case.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm getting it tomorrow I think. See if I can get it running. I hear the PT are famous for blowing in these, but that seems to be ok. Hopefully its just something stupid with the board.

Then I just need a cab and an attenuator.