Has anyone played/owned this bass?
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR500-Soundgear-4String-Bass?sku=515055

The reason I ask is that i can get about a 50% discount at the music store where I work and I think this would be much better than any other bass in the 250$ price range.(if you have another suggestion add it )

I think it feels really nice, I can play it much better than my shitty squier j bass.

Is there anything I should know about it because I think im going to buy it.(other then the pickups being active and replacing the battery)

I have never owned any instrument with active electronics, is there anything important to know about them?
I hear good things about the soundgear basses. I'd say go for it. For active electronics, i think all you gotta remember is to unplug it every time you're done.
Ibanez have a great feel to them, I favored the brand a lot. But the Bass is active, so unplug when you stop playing to prevent drain. I'd say "GET IT!"

Originally Posted by Draekon

A song im very good at is Raining Blood!
"RAINING BLOOD! from a lacerated sky! Bleed is Horror! I bleed destruction, and now i shall REIGN IN BLOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Is that what he says?
its a good bass, but if you can get a 50% discount look at schecters to
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013
its a good bass, but if you can get a 50% discount look at schecters to

I cant the store has a very limited selection of basses, I think this one along with an fender j bass are the most expensive
Well dude, lower-end Soundgears are some of the most reliable and versatile basses in their price range, and the higher-end ones have some of the most usable tones I've ever heard. And of course, like you said, they feel sexy. I own an Ergodyne, which is pretty similar, and have played the cheapest all the way to some of the most expensive Soundgears. They're already a good deal for the quality - if you can get it for 50% off, you can get yourself a can't-go-wrong bass for peanuts.

The only other thing I can think to warn you about active basses, beside keeping it unplugged, is the input level. Some amps have active/passive or high/low input selections, make sure to choose active or high or you can get some nasty distortion in your speakers. If there's no selector, just keep the input volume a bit lower.

Happy hunting!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
thanks whylater, my amp has an active input so i guess im all good, when i first played the soundgear i noticed i could play much faster and more efficiently. When i went back to my squier j, it felt really slow
I own an SR800 and have played a few SR500s. They are highly versatile basses and my SR is my workhorse bass that I tend to use for a variety of genres.
My neighbor has one. The sound is decent. The playability is awesome. GET IT
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
great bass. good feel, decent sound, a little ugly, but it isn't a bass for show. it's for real playing.

think you can do the real playing it demands?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I just got one a month ago, and was wondering about it's rep in the real world of music. Nice to see good feedback, I was getting worried about having made a wrong choice.
Although, I'd like to hear how good Drive amps are. It was the cheapest they had, seems pretty decent. The guy recommended it, and I could afford it.
I've got mine for about 18months now, and I love the sound and feel of it.

You can't go wrong with it, really, especially with the 50% discount.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
I would definetly pick that bass up. I own the Ibanez Sr490 which is almost the same as the Sr500 but I have the P/J pickups. Awesome bass that you can't go wrong with. The only bad this is that the body dents really easily.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by the humanity
great bass. good feel, decent sound, a little ugly, but it isn't a bass for show. it's for real playing.

think you can do the real playing it demands?

Aww, Humanity, I think the Soundgear is a very charming looking bass. Not quite as sleek as my Ergodyne, but definitely has its own look.

Then again, I guess I do like the way that MM Bongos look, so maybe my taste is a bit odd?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Well... with %50 off I'd buy almost anything.

so my answer is yes... Buy the shizz!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
i have the sr505 which is just the 5 string version

i didn't get 50% off and it was still a good buy.

you shouldn't be disappointed, but like all things.. try it first!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
No question, get it now. It's a hell of a bass for the price, especially with a 50% discount. I'd get it before someone else does. The active EQ is nice, and the Bartolini's can sound nice and warm if needed too. I say go for it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by grifff
I cant the store has a very limited selection of basses, I think this one along with an fender j bass are the most expensive

if you can get a 50% discount on the fender aerodyne... buy it
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
i have the 6 string version. it is amazing. the playability is legendary. im thinking of picking up the 4 string one or a spector, but then again i change my mind almost every week or so lol.
ive got the 5 string model of it and i love it
OHMYGOSHLOOK its a sig
Quote by grifff
I also could buy an sr300, but i think they sr500 is much better in terms of playability

The SR500 is better in absolutely every category. Get it, you won't regret it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I love em! The necks are really fast and they sound great.
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!