I bought a Peavey 6505 2x12 combo on eBay two weeks ago and I absolutely love it.

The only problem is that I get some serious hissing/feedback out of it. The hissing is basically always present and the feedback starts after cranking the post-lead past 2-ish. The feedback is sometimes really high pitched wail or a warm, fuzzy, natural harmonic-y sounding noise depending on the acoustics of the room. The feedback persists even when I have both hands muting the strings and stops only once I actually start playing and starts immediately once the strings stop vibrating.

I'm playing an Ibanez RG5EX1 with stock pickups.

I would like to know what the cheapest, most efficient way of eliminating this problem.

Should I change pickups (since I know the stock ones aren't that great)?

Should I change preamp tubes?

Should I consider changing speakers?

Or will a simple noise gate fix it?
An ISP Decimator is a MUST HAVE with this high gain amp. It will make a world of difference. Mine is now whisper silent even cranked totally up you can't even tell the amp is on, and that is with active 81/85 EMG's.
Build in an internal noisegate for the second channel. I did it, and its a must. Cost me about 40 bucks by the dealer i bought the amp from. Cheaper and better than the decimator.
And you might want to change your pickups too. Ibanez stock ppickups arent terrific at all.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Build in an internal noisegate for the second channel. I did it, and its a must. Cost me about 40 bucks by the dealer i bought the amp from. Cheaper and better than the decimator.

So how do you build an internal noise gate for the second channel?
I dont know, i brought the amp to a store, shouted: HEY! GET ME A NOISE GATE FOR THE SECOND CHANNEL!, left the amp, got back later, payd, and....

.... THE NOISEGATE WAS THERE!!

omg!

Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Sep 28, 2008,
Quote by LP_CL
I dont know, i brought the amp to a store, shouted: HEY! GET ME A NOISE GATE FOR THE SECOND CHANNEL!, left the amp, got back later, payd, and....

.... THE NOISEGATE WAS THERE!!

omg!

You didn't ask the tech what exactly he did to it? D'oh!

I'm curious what mod was performed and why it wouldn't also be effective on the crunch channel, assuming that you had that mod installed on the lead channel only.

Which channel do you consider to be the "second channel"?
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Sep 28, 2008,
the lead channel.

The crunch channel doesnt need a noisegate beause it doesnt make any noise. Its as quiet as Siberia.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
I have the same problem. I posted it in the only 6505 thread a few minutes ago actually. My 6505 212 also makes this horrible crackling noise as well which i cant seem to get rid of. Such a shame because the amp sounds gorgeous, I really need to pick up a noise gate and see if that works.
It shouldnt crackle though, thats probably a bad tube. But the hissing noise can be deleted by a noisegate.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by Justin Credible
I have the same problem. I posted it in the only 6505 thread a few minutes ago actually. My 6505 212 also makes this horrible crackling noise as well which i cant seem to get rid of. Such a shame because the amp sounds gorgeous, I really need to pick up a noise gate and see if that works.

That sounds like a bad tube/s. Is your combo new? I'm assuming you tried a different cable to rule that out already?

EDIT: ok, I read in the other thread you've ruled out the cable. So I would inspect the tubes next. It should NOT crackle at all with nothing plugged in. Mine is whisper quiet when nothing is plugged in, you can't even tell it's on. I hope you find what that noise is, that would bum me out. The combo really benefits from a proper retubing also. I put two Black Sable 6L6GC's and five JJ pre's in mine and it sounds ACE. I highly recommend those tubes although I paid out the butt for the Black Sables (you could skip those for Ruby's or JJ's - they're cheaper), the jury is still out if they were worth the extra $$, but it sounds good and it's eye twitchingly loud and clear.
Last edited by TheEsupremacy at Sep 28, 2008,