i just a got a violin but i dont know anything about them can someone help me out

my dad bought me a violin a starter one from somebody so i don't have a manual or anything.

and i was wondering if somebody else plays violin and can point me in the right direction where i can start? some links or maybe recomendation of books ican download

or how to even make this thing sound lol i slide the longstick whatever is called on the strings and i cant get it to sound

any advice help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
Quote by lolcats

lol
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
Quote by ultimate-slash
sell it and buy a drumkit and come drum for my bandXD

You in need of a drummer as well?

Rare creatures, drummers.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by stefan1988
or how to even make this thing sound lol i slide the longstick whatever is called on the strings and i cant get it to sound

It's called a bow, and you need to put this wax-like stuff on it called rosin before it will make any sound. And for the love of god, please get lessons before attempting to play it.
First of all: the hairs on the long stick(known as a bow) should have hair like things on one side. Make sure you are using those, not the wood of the bow.
That's about as much as I can explain wihout being confusing. I could show you more if I were there in person. But alas, I play viola, so not much more.
Quote by Jackal58
If I was Santa you'd all get shit for Christmas.
Don't play it, silly, just use it to look sensitive and intellegent.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

As far as I can remember, it's tuned (low to high) G-D-A-E.

Use Resin on the bow before you even attempt to play

Get lessons
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Rabidguitarist... This is your moment.

Did someone call.... violin man?

Violin team.. ASSEMBLE!!!!!!

*assembles*

Ok, PM me, and I'll write you a big long message.

Quote by Zeppelin_1223
Use the bow on your guitar.

DON'T.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I am saddened to see an instrument ruined by someone so obviously unintelligent.
I am saddened to see an instrument ruined by someone so obviously unintelligent.

you got to start somewhere

why don you visit ultimate-douche

im trying to put the resin right now but the resin is hard how long should i be sliding the bow on the resin?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
Ok, PM me, and I'll write you a big long message.

i just sent you a pm
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
u can start by not posting in a guitar forum
DO

THE ACOUSTIC

Dreaming his way to victory
Quote by fixxxer30
u can start by not posting in a guitar forum

If you're going to post bollocks like this, you might aswell post it before we've helped him.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by stefan1988
im trying to put the resin right now but the resin is hard how long should i be sliding the bow on the resin?

The first time you play it you have to put on quite a bit. When you play make sure you really dig into the strings. If there's still no sound then put on more. Also, it's spelled 'Rosin'. Sorry, I'm a Grammar Nazi.
Quote by stefan1988
why don you visit ultimate-douche

You should put cello rosin on it when it's the first time rosining it.
Learn The Devil Went Down to Georgia.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)