So I'm sure you all know why I want to get rid of my marshall mg100hdfx amp head.....I was thinking this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/EVH-5150-III-HD-Guitar-Amp-Head-481477-i1274699.gc

The EVH amp head.....It apparently has good reviews, but I was wondering what you guys think
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Oh...and I like playing anything from blues to metal. I like James Hetfield's tone alot for rhythm and I like leads like Joe satriani....would it be better for me to just get the satchurator pedal?
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
unfortunately I still have to use the cab.....I dont have enough money to buy a new cab
My Gear:
+1
That amp is fantastic, but do yourself a favor and get a new cab as soon as possible.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The amp is going to be a huge upgrade.

But its not going to sound great through that cab. If I were you, I would be buying that head with the intention of buying a new cab as well. Not just new speakers, a new cabinet and new speakers.
well if I get the head, it'll sound alright for awhile until I can get the upgraded cab, right?
My Gear:
It's not desirable. But yes, it will work.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
It won't sound like a $2000 amp.

Like I said, plan on getting a new cab, if not immediately, in the near future. Its not too much extra, you can find used 1960A/B cabinets for $300-$400 used on places like ebay or craig's list. Other than the 1960 series, I wouldn't go near a Marshall cab myself. The rest of them use poor speakers and are undersized MDF cabinets. MG's as amps get a bad rep, but I'll be straight with you, the cabs suck and are voiced for MGs to really sound their best with Marshall MGs. The amps themselves can at least be tweaked for optimal tone, the cabs can't really. I've had similar experience using an AVT cab with a JTM45, which basically farted out on certain low notes every time the volume on the JTM45 crept above 3 or 4. It was basically unusable and the first order of business was to get a new cab and I found a 1960B for $350.

You may have a different experience, in my case, I had an amp that had a low end that the AVT celestions just couldn't handle. It worked fine with the AVT50, but just fell apart with the JTM45. But the EVH III might work ok with the MG cab, but you will get no where near the best of the amp using that.

But like I said, look for a used 1960 cab. Though if you really want that early VH tone, you'll probably want to replace the speakers with g12m Greenbacks. Though you'd need 2 cabs to have enough power handling.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 29, 2008,
But do you really need a 2 grand head with a low end cab? Can you atleast balence the two together? Or get a used 5150 head?

Just my $0.02