So, in the last couple of months I've started writing my own songs and other things but I really don't have ANY clue where to start when it comes to recording, could some of you guys give me some advice on what recording equipment I'll need for decent quality recordings through the computer, doesn't have to be super pro lol. I was thinking a decent mic maybe for a starting point..?

Also, I have all the instruments I need, guitar, drums (electric), bass etc.

Get a digital multi tracker
then use the usb 2 connect it 2 ur pc

boss br 600 is what im getting
Epiphone SG G-400
Coloursound Wah
Marshall MG100 DFX
Vemon V10
Custom made acoustic
Quote by Pooinsky
So, in the last couple of months I've started writing my own songs and other things but I really don't have ANY clue where to start when it comes to recording, could some of you guys give me some advice on what recording equipment I'll need for decent quality recordings through the computer, doesn't have to be super pro lol. I was thinking a decent mic maybe for a starting point..?

Also, I have all the instruments I need, guitar, drums (electric), bass etc.

Electric guitar? And if so, are you planning on record your amp's sound?
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Okay this will work perfectly(I think): Get a decent mic, mic stand, then get a Line 6 Toneport (one with a patch chord input as well as a mic cable input). You'll then need a DAW (the recording program). I would get Sonar 7, I have the producer edition but that was very expensive so the regular edition or Sonar 6 XL is also good. Those are things you require and with that you'll get excellent results. You could also get a midi keyboard and drum mics etc. later.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Electric guitar? And if so, are you planning on record your amp's sound?

Yeah electric guitar, and I'll be recording the sound of my (valve) amp.
EMU 0202. $120. Shure SM57, also $99. And one of these microphones or a MXL V63G/Samson CO1 for vocals. You can DI the bass with it, use the stereo output of your electric drums, and there's a microphone preamp if you want to mike your amps or do voice.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions, also could anyone direct me to a tutorial/instructional thing that guides you and gives you information about these things because I have no idea what an audio interface is or antything.

Thanks
What are you using to connect the mic to the computer.
line in port?
It basically acts as an external sound card for your computer. Stock soundcards aren't made for recording, and recording using them usually results in a lot of latency and poor sound quality. An interface allows you to record with low latency and higher quality sound. For more information, check the tweakheadz site linked a few posts above. That site contains a wealth of valuable information.
There is poetry in despair.