hey. im thinking of getting a Rally LP Custom and putting seymours in it. i play mainly guns n roses, Foo Fighters and a bit of metallica. which seymour duncan pickups should i get?
Don't upgrade a guitar you don't own yet.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone

Agreed. Play around with it for a few months and see what tones you can get out of it, and BASED ON THOSE TONES, decide what pickup would be good for that particular guitar.
Quote by Chrisiphone

agree to the max. play it about 3 months before even thinking about it. you may like how the guitar comes. if you don't like it, a common and versatile setup is the jb jazz combo
Heh, I'm changing pups in a Rally LP myself... I'm going for some custom made Swinesheads though.

The very fact you said Guns N Roses means countless people are going to say SD Alnico II Pro humbuckers. I'm not going to go into the full details why, but this is actually a very bad move. Suffice to say, Alnico II Pros are simply balanced, low output pickups, which mean your tone relies on the quality of your guitar and your amp even more than usual. Slash gets most of his tone purely from his amp (he's sometimes used Firebird or Mockingbird guitars and still gotten exactly the same tone as he does with Les Pauls), because the Alnico II Pro Seymour Duncan pickups he uses don't 'colour' the tone at all. Long story short: if you don't have the right amp, that's going to sound bad.
For most people, the best way to get a GNR type tone is a medium output pickup (rather than low output as Slash uses), with a very good natural mid presence. The Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates is about as close as SD pickups get. If you'd consider other brands, DiMarzio make some slightly more suitable (for most people) pickups. SD '59 Model could also be good if your amp is very dark-voiced. For the neck position I'd suggest a Pearly Gates, Jazz or Seth Lover model.

Foo Fighters have used a range of guitar styles (and thus different pickups), but most commonly they make use of medium gain amps with medium-high output pickups. Most recently they've used lots of stacked P-90s and mini humbucker combinations, especially live. So long as you don't get something really low output, you can't go 'wrong'. A George Lynch Screamin' Demon would make a good bridge pickup for this sort of style - medium-high output with slightly more pronounced high-end for a slightly closer tone to those minibuckers/stacked P-90 tones. They rarely make use of neck pickups for overdrive or distortion, so I would recommend a low-output smooth neck pickup to give you strong clean tones (pretty much same as GNR to be honest).

Metallica is where you're going to run into trouble. They require a high-gain amp and a high-output pickup for strong natural overdrive. If you're really after a heavy tone like that then go for it (I'd recommend a Duncan Custom for this with a suitably high-gain amp), but I think it'd be easier and better if you aimed for a mid-point between the lower gain GNR tone and the mid-gain Foo Fighters tone.

Quote by Chrisiphone

I have a Rally LP myself (the 450, aka 'tree of life', the best LP copy Rally do), and I can safely say the pickups need changing. Rally's stock pickups are as good as Chinese copies get... but that's not saying much. They're responsive, but they're tonally flat. Funnily enough, I'd say they're basically like Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros but slightly higher output. I would expect the Rally pickups are wound the same but with Alnico V magnets which would explain the slightly harsher tone. I'd be surprised if anyone didn't want to change them.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Seymour Duncan Custom 5's are highly recommended for those music styles (Steven Seagull for one), but try your guitar out for 3 months or so, and if you don't like the pickups swap them.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
To be honest, I do not see any logic in pondering what pickups to put into a Guitar to get band specific tones before you even get the guitar or know what tonal character the guitar itself has and or has through the Amp you are going to be playing it through.
don't buy invaders theyre trash. buy the jazz/jb set.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
yeah ill definatly play it for a few weeks when i get it but ive heard people that have got Rally Lp's that the pickups aren't the best.

i was thinking if i need a change of pickups then a seymour duncan SH5 with a Alnico Pro II
what do u guys think about this?
btw i will be playing this through a orange rocker 30 which im gonna get soon
For that range of music, I'd get something fairly warm and high-output. When it comes to pickups it's best to have too much than not enough - you can dial your amp down a little, but with the wrong pickups, it's gonna sound bad straight out of your guitar.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
That amp is really nice IMO so you shouldn't be let down by that

And after reading the long post above, I would advise against the alnico pro IIs. If you read his post it would help you alot...
Quote by jaffawoman
For that range of music, I'd get something fairly warm and high-output. When it comes to pickups it's best to have too much than not enough - you can dial your amp down a little, but with the wrong pickups, it's gonna sound bad straight out of your guitar.
If you're playing metal and never using a clean tone, then this is true.

However, if you ever intend to use a clean tone, it's better to go for something lower output. You can always uses a boost pedal to increase output without a tonal change, but you can't cut output without changing the tone and responsiveness.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
If you're playing metal and never using a clean tone, then this is true.

However, if you ever intend to use a clean tone, it's better to go for something lower output. You can always uses a boost pedal to increase output without a tonal change, but you can't cut output without changing the tone and responsiveness.

Fair point.

I'd get a high-output humbucker for the bridge and a moderate output neck humbucker, and try to balance out the levels (raising & lowering the pickups).
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

Quote by MrFlibble
Heh, I'm changing pups in a Rally LP myself... I'm going for some custom made Swinesheads though.

The very fact you said Guns N Roses means countless people are going to say SD Alnico II Pro humbuckers. I'm not going to go into the full details why, but this is actually a very bad move. Suffice to say, Alnico II Pros are simply balanced, low output pickups, which mean your tone relies on the quality of your guitar and your amp even more than usual. Slash gets most of his tone purely from his amp (he's sometimes used Firebird or Mockingbird guitars and still gotten exactly the same tone as he does with Les Pauls), because the Alnico II Pro Seymour Duncan pickups he uses don't 'colour' the tone at all. Long story short: if you don't have the right amp, that's going to sound bad.
For most people, the best way to get a GNR type tone is a medium output pickup (rather than low output as Slash uses), with a very good natural mid presence. The Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates is about as close as SD pickups get. If you'd consider other brands, DiMarzio make some slightly more suitable (for most people) pickups. SD '59 Model could also be good if your amp is very dark-voiced. For the neck position I'd suggest a Pearly Gates, Jazz or Seth Lover model.

i looked on the seymour duncan site and the alnico pro II's are medium output pickups and ive heard epiphones on youtube with anlio Pro II's that sound pretty gd
Wait wait wait wait wait...

What amp are you using right now?

i have a crappy fender but i dont use it lol. i just play on my crapy squire but no sir i am not tone def
hey a little update on the pickup situation. im going to get the Rally and im going to put in a Seymour Duncan JB and a 59.