Page 1 of 2
Well I've got a bit of a desire to build a stripped down, fairly basic strat, with a few twists from the standard.

Body style: Stratocaster
Wood: Mahogany
Finsh: Clean tung-oil or similar
Pickups: Bridge humbucker (I'm thinking something in between classic rock and metal, pretty versatile), Angled single-coils for neck and bridge (like you took a standard strat bridge pickup and moved it up)
Controls: 5 way lever straight into output jack
Bridge: Hardtail or some form of basic tremolo
Tuners: Some form of locking, considering those selftriming planet wave ones.

I've got a kisaekae mockup of the concept: http://profile.imageshack.us/user/omfgapolarbear/images/detail/#300/mockupstripedstratbz5.jpg

A list of things I don't want here:
Volume or tone knobs
Coil tapping or splitting
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Last edited by zekk at Sep 28, 2008,
nice. but if i were to do it, i would do it up really simple. one humbucker, one volume, one tone, maybe a coil tap. hardtail. grover locking tuners.
Quote by athlete1
nice. but if i were to do it, i would do it up really simple. one humbucker, one volume, one tone, maybe a coil tap. hardtail. grover locking tuners.

I'd have at least another pickup though, to have some versatility.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by athlete1

The volume and tone sort of defeat my goal here, I basicly want a straight up rock guitar that's just always on ten. What you're suggesting is actually more complex then what I've got up there.

Quote by Lil Macker
I'd have at least another pickup though, to have some versatility.

Yeah, which is why i like my single coil idea. I basicly just want something I can grab and play, instead of sitting and fiddling like I do with my les paul.

Quote by zekk
The volume and tone sort of defeat my goal here, I basicly want a straight up rock guitar that's just always on ten. What you're suggesting is actually more complex then what I've got up there.

Yeah, which is why i like my single coil idea. I basicly just want something I can grab and play, instead of sitting and fiddling like I do with my les paul.

Do it with one push-pull pot for the volume, and to engage the bridge singlecoil - just like on some of George Lynch's ESPs.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Do it with one push-pull pot for the volume, and to engage the bridge singlecoil - just like on some of George Lynch's ESPs.

Like i said, I don't want a volume or tone, or coil tapping. SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE is the goal here, plug and play.

Quote by zekk
Like i said, I don't want a volume or tone, or coil tapping. SIMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE is the goal here, plug and play.

That's more simple than a 5-way switch IMHO.

If you're going for the stripped-back look, you should probably hardmount the pickups too.
^ He speaks the truth.

Yeah no pickguard, super badassery.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by -MintSauce-
That's more simple than a 5-way switch IMHO.

If you're going for the stripped-back look, you should probably hardmount the pickups too.

Did no one take a look at my first post or pic AT ALL?! And its not really, like I said, I DO NOT want a volume knob, I DO NOT want a tone knob, I DO NOT want coil-tapping or splitting.

Quote by zekk

Yet you want three pickups and a 5 way switch...

A single push/pull coil tap pot that is a vol/tone/switch all in one, hooked up to one dual coil humbucker in the bridge is more SIMPLE SIMPLE.
Quote by Billy Picken
Yet you want three pickups and a 5 way switch...

A single push/pull coil tap pot that is a vol/tone/switch all in one, hooked up to one dual coil humbucker in the bridge is more SIMPLE SIMPLE.

Except for one little flaw, I don't want a volume or tone. Simplicity without giving up to much versatility, hence three pickups and a switch.

Quote by zekk
Well I've got a bit of a desire to build a stripped down, fairly basic strat, with a few twists from the standard.

Body style: Stratocaster
Wood: Mahogany
Finsh: Clean tung-oil or similar
Pickups: Bridge humbucker (I'm thinking something in between classic rock and metal, pretty versatile), Angled single-coils for neck and bridge (like you took a standard strat bridge pickup and moved it up)
Controls: 5 way lever straight into output jack
Bridge: Hardtail or some form of basic tremolo
Tuners: Some form of locking, considering those selftriming planet wave ones.

I've got a kisaekae mockup of the concept: http://profile.imageshack.us/user/omfgapolarbear/images/detail/#300/mockupstripedstratbz5.jpg

A list of things I don't want here:
Volume or tone knobs
Coil tapping or splitting

looks simple and neat. go for it. i'd put in a seymour duncan jb and some SD hot rails. or cool rails if you want a mellower sound

i'd leave everything at ten too. i do that anyways and i use an od pedal intead using my controls.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I think you should have a volume knob

but seriously, even if its hidden it would be pretty anoying with out it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
I think you should have a volume knob

but seriously, even if its hidden it would be pretty anoying with out it.

I've been meaning to get a volume pedal anyway, so I've got that. One problem I have with volume knobs is that even at ten, they take a little from the signl (shit i cant spell).

Anyone got an idea where I could get the body for this? I have no acess to any sort of tools, otherwise I would make it myself. Could I get warmoth to do it?

So you want it simple, but you want 3 pickups and a 5 way switch. Do you want to actually be musical, not just some gobshite noise? Make it 1 pickup, 1 volume, 1 tone, that is simple and actually usable. If you never use your volume or tone controls you might actually have mental problems.
Quote by Meddled
So you want it simple, but you want 3 pickups and a 5 way switch. Do you want to actually be musical, not just some gobshite noise? Make it 1 pickup, 1 volume, 1 tone, that is simple and actually usable. If you never use your volume or tone controls you might actually have mental problems.

THIS.
So TS wants to do a build, and everyone is completely disregarding what HE wants and telling him what THEY want him to want. Where have I seen this before?

On topic: I kida like the idea of having the switch straight to the jack. It'll make the tone a bit brighter, which is perfect for what you are after.
I think it'd fit your design better if you had the jack on the side/back.

The strat style jack clutters up the simplified look, IMO.

I'm not sure if warmoth'll do a rear-recessed jack, though, so you'd have to go with a side jack like on an LP (if you take my comments into consideration, that is..).

Also, I think I'd do 3 mini toggles instead of a 5-way. on/off for the neck, on/off for the middle, and on/off (maybe on/off/split) for the bridge.

The three mini toggles and jack on the back/side would really do well for the 'simplified' theme ou're going for, I think.
And if theres feedback , no way to turn down the guitar. This is not a good idea.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
And if theres feedback , no way to turn down the guitar. This is not a good idea.

I plan on getting a volume pedal, that is not a problem.

Quote by james4
I think it'd fit your design better if you had the jack on the side/back.

The strat style jack clutters up the simplified look, IMO.

I'm not sure if warmoth'll do a rear-recessed jack, though, so you'd have to go with a side jack like on an LP (if you take my comments into consideration, that is..).

Also, I think I'd do 3 mini toggles instead of a 5-way. on/off for the neck, on/off for the middle, and on/off (maybe on/off/split) for the bridge.

The three mini toggles and jack on the back/side would really do well for the 'simplified' theme ou're going for, I think.

I've been debating having three on-off's, or possibly just adding a straight kill switch to the whole setup. I've also been considering the sidejack, or maybe an SG style jack.

Last edited by zekk at Sep 29, 2008,
I like the idea. I'd probably do 3 mini toggles, but a 5 way would look less cluttered probably. I would go hardtail. It would look simpler.

Warmoth would probably make it. Wouldn't hurt to give them a ring, or e-mail.
Quote by Vykk Draygo
I like the idea. I'd probably do 3 mini toggles, but a 5 way would look less cluttered probably. I would go hardtail. It would look simpler.

Warmoth would probably make it. Wouldn't hurt to give them a ring, or e-mail.

I already own two hardtail guitars, so I'm sorta looking for something with a tremolo anyway. At this point its either build this or buy a sevenstring.

Quote by Meddled

So basicly, what you want instead of what I want? Sure.... go **** yourself. Did you even read the damn thread? I use my volume and tone knobs, alot, on both my Les Paul and my Carvin, but here I'm looking for something thats plug and go, straight play no fiddling.

Last edited by zekk at Sep 29, 2008,
Looking at the pic I just can't see the maple neck/head suiting the mahogany. Are you set on maple or would you consider changing it?

My strats too thin for a side routed jack so don't know if that'd be a problem for that idea.

If you want simple (and hey it's your build, just a thought) why bother with a middle pup? Why not just a HB bridge and SC neck?

EDIT: Forgot to say I like the idea and go for it! :EDIT
Last edited by bellerophon at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by bellerophon
Looking at the pic I just can't see the maple neck/head suiting the mahogany. Are you set on maple or would you consider changing it?

My strats too thin for a side routed jack so don't know if that'd be a problem for that idea.

If you want simple (and hey it's your build, just a thought) why bother with a middle pup? Why not just a HB bridge and SC neck?

EDIT: Forgot to say I like the idea and go for it! :EDIT

You know, I haven't been happy with the Maple on Mahogany either, but most of the rosewoods I've looked at don't look that great either. Any ideas?

And I just like the idea of the Neck and Middle as angled singles, and whenever I play on a strat style guitar, I almost always have the middle pickup on.

Personally, I would go crazy without a volume and at least one tone knob on a strat.
Quote by Mecler
Personally, I would go crazy without a volume and at least one tone knob on a strat.

I'll have a volume pedal for minute volume changes, but this is mainly so I have something to grab and get raw idea's and metiral (spelling, not my forte) down. Just a pure raw guitar, prolly gonna run it straight into my amp except for the volume pedal. The idea is to have an original guitar that's stripped down of most of the things that I end up fiddling with so damn much on my carvin and les paul (volume, tone, push-pull coil split, etc). Just something I can grab and go with.

I normally have the middle pup on on my strat but with a HB in the bridge it should't sound as 'brittle' as a SC and you shouldn't get any 60hz hum from either pup.

You could continue the mahogany theme into the neck but for a fretboard to sit on it I don't know. Maybe something similar to the body wood (to look simple) like this

Warmoth Neck
Quote by bellerophon
I normally have the middle pup on on my strat but with a HB in the bridge it should't sound as 'brittle' as a SC and you shouldn't get any 60hz hum from either pup.

You could continue the mahogany theme into the neck but for a fretboard to sit on it I don't know. Maybe something similar to the body wood (to look simple) like this

Warmoth Neck

I dont really think that mahog on mahog is the way to go, but maple seems to much a contrast. I usually rely on my neck pickup aswell, no matter what guitar I'm using, so having the middle to cancel out hum would be nice.

Quote by athlete1

thats a tom delonge strat distontinued in 03
Originally Posted by InvaderTSN
Step 1: Buy popcorn.
Step 2: Cut hole in bottom of popcorn bucket.
Step 3: Stick penis through hole.
Step 4: Ask date to get some popcorn.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!
Quote by zekk
I plan on getting a volume pedal, that is not a problem.

I've been debating having three on-off's, or possibly just adding a straight kill switch to the whole setup. I've also been considering the sidejack, or maybe an SG style jack.

I guess that could work then, do you plan on finishing it a color? Or just leaving it the natural wood grain?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
I guess that could work then, do you plan on finishing it a color? Or just leaving it the natural wood grain?

I'm considering getting it finshed in tung-oil, or otherwise just natural yeah.

Dude, I've just reread the whole thread, and I think that it's pretty obvious that you know what you want to do. I mean, you've thought through and justified each decision in the plan that you posted, and I'd guess that you've already considered most of the suggestions that people have made. So, why not just go for it?

I think that "pickups, switch, and jack" is about as about as simple as you can get, without sacrificing every shred of versatility.

Also, there are only two suggestions that I'd make:
1. Use a recessed Tele-style jack cup on the bottom corner - that would be super-neat.
2. Try a combination bridge and tailpiece wraparound bridge. I just have this thing about regular hardtail bridges - I think they look out of place on an instrument.

And whilst I'm still thinking about this.. how's the weight going to work out? Even a Strat-sized body will be heavy made out of mahogany, and you'll have a hard time balancing that with the weight of the neck (which I'd probably make out of quartersawn maple laminates.. just to throw that out). So, are you doing any carving, or making the body thinner than a regular Strat to compensate?
Quote by -MintSauce-
Dude, I've just reread the whole thread, and I think that it's pretty obvious that you know what you want to do. I mean, you've thought through and justified each decision in the plan that you posted, and I'd guess that you've already considered most of the suggestions that people have made. So, why not just go for it?

I think that "pickups, switch, and jack" is about as about as simple as you can get, without sacrificing every shred of versatility.

Also, there are only two suggestions that I'd make:
1. Use a recessed Tele-style jack cup on the bottom corner - that would be super-neat.
2. Try a combination bridge and tailpiece wraparound bridge. I just have this thing about regular hardtail bridges - I think they look out of place on an instrument.

And whilst I'm still thinking about this.. how's the weight going to work out? Even a Strat-sized body will be heavy made out of mahogany, and you'll have a hard time balancing that with the weight of the neck (which I'd probably make out of quartersawn maple laminates.. just to throw that out). So, are you doing any carving, or making the body thinner than a regular Strat to compensate?

Due to lack of tool's, the body and neck are warmoth. I have a solid mahogany les paul that's a pretty heafty mofo, so weights not an issue. I'm not sure about the balance though.

I do like the idea of using the tele style recessed side-jack, however I'm pretty set on having some form of tremolo on this guitar (I have two hardtails already).

Also, anyone have any suggestions on pickups? I'll pull up a list of styles and influences in a bit.

Check out rockfield SWC for the bridge. And I have those planet waves trimlok tuners and love em to death.

And +1 for simplifying and doing somthing somwhat original.
Honestly, I think that it's great that you're doing something original and I think this project sounds really neat.

With that said, don't make a thread saying "Concepts for a Strat, Opinions?? " and then proceed to shoot down every opinion that is different from your original idea.

Your guitar looks cool. Keep us posted on how it goes, and make sure to have plenty of pics.
personally i'd take out the middle single coil entirely but otherwise i like the idea it's basic and does the job at hand, i think some form of killswitch is needed though because you're going to want to cut your feedback problems.

and don't you think that plugging this guitar into a pedal board kinda defeats the object of plug and play?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by lemonsquares42
With that said, don't make a thread saying "Concepts for a Strat, Opinions?? " and then proceed to shoot down every opinion that is different from your original idea.
When almost all of those opinions advocated things he explicitly said he didn't want...

For pickups, I'd go with Rock Monkey Guitars.
http://www.rockmonkeyguitars.com/
Page 1 of 2