About half a year ago I bought my first guitar after borrowing a friend's to begin with. It's a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and unfortunately didn't know enough to check it inside and out before buying it - I played it for a while, liked how it sounded and felt, and thought it would be a good purchase. But now having learned more about guitars, I'm starting to regret it.

It's an '06 Korean-made Custom, and for the most part is pretty nice. But the build quality is shit, and I've been spending some money to fix it up - however, there's still a lot more to go. The problems are:

• The plastic nut was cut too low, so I had it replaced with a brass nut.
  • After I had the nut replaced, there is rattling at the headstock when I play the low E string open. I'm not sure whether it's the truss rod (although there is no rattling when I play any other string or shake the headstock) or something else.
  • The frets are poorly seated. The problem is most apparent with the fifth fret, which causes the fourth fret E strings to buzz stupendously and kill the vibrations within two or three seconds, and the sixth and seventh frets more difficult (and uncomfortable) to play on because the string presses down on the fifth fret behind them. It also makes notes on the fifth fret go sharp. The same problems are found all over the fretboard, although to a much lesser degree.
  • Parts of the bridge are loose, and they buzz until I press down on the saddles and screws. They become loose again after a few minutes of playing.

The guitar ran me $650 and I've already spent another $75 for the setup and brass nut. In retrospect I made a pretty terrible purchase, but.... live and learn. Anyway, I don't know whether it would be worth it to have a replacement bridge installed (or have the bridge repaired, I don't know exactly what the problem is with it) and have the frets either dressed or pressed - or to sell the guitar and buy a new one (not necessarily a new LP). And I wouldn't feel right selling this to someone really, because it's build is so messy. What do you guys think I should do about this?
i'd get off that sinking ship while you can, fix what you can and sell it, get an esp 1000 or even 500 eclipse, its the best, i have a g400 i'm getting rid of as soon as possible, haven't had that many problems with it but the features suck.
Yeah I'm considering Washburns because I have a specialized local dealer who carries them almost exclusively, but I love the PRS (SE) Custom and a few other things.
I find it hard to believe as I read about a million posts a day that say Epiphone is far superior to Gibson, etc...

When you pay low money and buy new you don't get good quality. That's why I always say buy used. I picked up a 1970 Les Paul for $450 this weekend. It's better then an Epi and will hold it's value.
Aren't 1970 Les Pauls legendary beasts of pure solid ownage? $450 seems like a steal.

Epiphone is not far superior to Gibson, however I'd bet a lot of analysis of the ladder of quality are pretty close:

• Gibson Custom Shop
  • Epiphone Elitist Series
  • Gibson Standard
  • Epiphone Customs/Signature/Limited Edition/Ultra
  • Epiphone Standard/Gibson Low End
  • Epiphone Low End

With quality control becoming muddy after the Elitists.
Quote by Unsouled
Aren't 1970 Les Pauls legendary beasts of pure solid ownage? $450 seems like a steal.

Epiphone is not far superior to Gibson, however I'd bet a lot of analysis of the ladder of quality are pretty close:

• Gibson Custom Shop
  • Epiphone Elitist Series
  • Gibson Standard
  • Epiphone Customs/Signature/Limited Edition/Ultra
  • Epiphone Standard/Gibson Low End
  • Epiphone Low End

With quality control becoming muddy after the Elitists.

The Epiphone Elitists are hyped on forums. They're not all that special.
Quote by SenorSmiley
I find it hard to believe as I read about a million posts a day that say Epiphone is far superior to Gibson, etc...

When you pay low money and buy new you don't get good quality. That's why I always say buy used. I picked up a 1970 Les Paul for $450 this weekend. It's better then an Epi and will hold it's value.

Pics?
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Ive played some good epis and some bad ones. The worst one I played was a custom. Epi puts alot of guitars together but they dont seem to actually do any quality control after to see if they did it right so its a crap shoot. Fixing the frets if you cant do it your self would be expensive. If you dont want to keep spending money might be a good time to find a different guitar.
I'd rather have a gibson standard than an epi elitist, to whoever made the ladder of quality.

TS, time for a new guitar
I dunno, I might try to give it one last try - have you ever set it up yourself? I have setup my own guitars for some time, but I found this very useful for getting my EPI les in tip top shape.

You may find that your fret buzz probs go once you have tinkered with it a bit and set it up properly - the last guy I paid to do mine ruined it and I ended up leaving it in its case for a year.

the string rattling could be a loose tuner - check they are all nice and snug. Or, perhaps the brass nut is too wide for the stirng? or maybe the bridge - there should be a little metal clip holding the bridge saddle screws down - is that there? if the bridge is wrecked, then if have just ordered a tonepros metric (the metric ones are supposed to be a direct fit for the EPI's) locking bridge - they look ok, quite cheap and Gibson have started fitting them too their standards now.

I'd also screw the tailpiece right down as far as it will go (without the strings snagging the back of the bridge) and genrally make sure evrything is nice and (not too) tight, such as pots, jack plug, tuners, switch, pickguard, pickup rings etc

Just my opinion, but i'd try that lot first. The way I look at it is that you still have the raw ingredients there for a great guitar - it's just that someone has made a bit of a hash of it, but if it is probaly fixable with a little care and attention - then its worth doing
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
If you're in bad luck you'll have to get new frets and that alone will cost you over 200 bucks. Not worth it imo. I'd say keep the Epi until you have the money for another guitar. If you like the sound of Gibsons, take a look at an SG Standard.
Quote by twisty571
Pics?

There is a pic of it in my profile. I posted the NGD thread on Sunday.