Ok, I truly suck with my upstroke. I know the only way to get better at it is to practice it slow and such but, is there any other way to do it other than just doing all upstrokes for 10+ min a day? It's so boring.
just play, seriously.
Eventually you will just automatically find a way around it
Quote by metal Lover
The thought of you humping her limp body is hilarious.

Whats Upstroke???

Seriously though, why do you want a good upstroke?????
One important thing you should know about guitar, is that theres no substitute for solid practice...
Quote by Tezza_Larks
just play, seriously.
Eventually you will just automatically find a way around it

Very true, whenever you can't do something: Firstly check your technique is right and then keep practising it.
Quote by The.new.guy
Ok, I truly suck with my upstroke. I know the only way to get better at it is to practice it slow and such but, is there any other way to do it other than just doing all upstrokes for 10+ min a day? It's so boring.

Try looking up some Paul Gilbert string-skipping lessons and do the smaller variations on the technique; they mostly start on an upstroke and should do wonders for your playing as a whole, not just the strength of your up-strokes.

This is a good one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKvIAuXMl7U
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
^ Ha ha I knew it was gonna be that vid before I clicked it! I use those a lot. They're great licks - difficult but great. It helps if you have big hands when returning to the low e, pulling off with the pinky to the ring.

Here's a simpler one. Simple major triad.

-12-8----------8
-------------------------
------12-9-9-12
----------8-------------
-----------------------
-

You can adapt that to minor and diminished arps as well.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by mdc
^ Ha ha I knew it was gonna be that vid before I clicked it! I use those a lot. They're great licks - difficult but great. It helps if you have big hands when returning to the low e, pulling off with the pinky to the ring.

Here's a simpler one. Simple major triad.

-12-8----------8
-------------------------
------12-9-9-12
----------8-------------
-----------------------
-

You can adapt that to minor and diminished arps as well.

I didn't really mean use the large-stretch arpeggio variations, I mean use the smaller version he uses further down the neck to demonstrate the idea behind it, it's pretty easy for the fretting hand so you can really focus on your pick hand; strengthening and getting good tone from your upstrokes.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I didn't really mean use the large-stretch arpeggio variations, I mean use the smaller version he uses further down the neck to demonstrate the idea behind it, it's pretty easy for the fretting hand so you can really focus on your pick hand; strengthening and getting good tone from your upstrokes.

Oops, sorry I spoke lol.
...is there any other way to do it other than just doing all upstrokes for 10+ min a day? It's so boring.

...write some more interesting music to be played with upstrokes only?

Attached is an etude I use for "double picking", just play one note instead of two and you have an upstroke etude.
Attachments:
double picking etude.zip
Quote by ravioli123
Whats Upstroke???

Seriously though, why do you want a good upstroke?????
One important thing you should know about guitar, is that theres no substitute for solid practice...

Yeah i dont get it either. I never do a bunch of upstrokes in a row aside from a sweep which is really one upstroke anyways or sometimes maybe a little economy picking,string skip or various parts of chord strumming patterns. TS do you mean to say you can pick down but not down up down up because that would be an alt picking problem. Not sure why one would be concerned specifically with only the upstroke itself or want to do a "bunch of upstrokes for 10 minutes". What song requires that. I havent played one yet.

Regardless of this whatever it is that your trying to do can be acomplished the same way. Practicing well for long enough. Slow down and play whatever it is you have a problem with slowly and eventually you will get it.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Oct 1, 2008,
How can it be boring to practice for 10 minutes a day?

Take the riffs you usally practice but do them with only up picking. Don't just stand there and upstroke open strings randomly, mindlessly. You're gonna get a lot more if you include it to your regular practice.

Personnaly I never practiced upstrokes. I mean, I used to suck at them too but all I did was alternate-picking. Maybe you should try that out.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by /-\liceNChains
What song requires that. I havent played one yet.

and what song requires outside picking?

you really should just improvise while using only upstrokes.
play chords with upstrokes only too.

i'm going through your issue in some way too.
Quote by The.new.guy

Play down-up-down-up-down-up instead of just all ups.

here's something fun to do: play one of your favourite songs using only upstrokes.

I did it with Crazy Train, my band just laughed at me.
hue
if i were you id look the lesson on economy picking this will help you more than you can imagine, it helps to develope speed and accuracy with both up and down strokes and it even helped me out with sweep picking but im still not that good at it.