Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I've been reading these threads and project guitar tutorials for a while now and I think I'm ready to start getting my stuff together.

Basically this is my first build and I've gathered my specs together and would like some comments and suggestions.

Alder body,
Flame maple veneer in purple,
Unpainted Maple-Walnut-Maple bolt on neck
Ebony fretboard pre-slotted 24 frets(16" radius),
25.5" scale,
OFR with 42mm locking nut(I know its gonna be hard for a first build),
Scarfed headstock 13 deg,
Sharkfin MOP inlays,
Gotoh tuners,
Jumbo fretwire,
Black or Gold hardware,
Conventional RG controls,
H-S-H pickup config. (not sure which, I was thinking about evo's)

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,
Sam
man, the FR would be hard to route in the wood... cos I tried and I wasnt able to manage jajajaj so... Hope u the best!
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by a_man
^ Cool. Im somewhat worried about doing it

Screw the templates to the body, limit the router plunge depth, then follow the templates with a guided cutter - there's pretty much no room for error.
thanks for that

EDIT: wont the screws leave massive holes in the body?
Last edited by a_man at Sep 28, 2008,
Double sided sticky tape FTW!

sounds like a cool build, look forward to it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Also what would the neck angle be on a guitar with an OFR?
what style of music do you want the pups for?

and it depends on how much the floyd is recessed, and its adjustment height, probably about 1 or 2 degrees I think, I dont know about OFR dimensions though.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Chrome hardware! Like one of the limited edition Gibson Robots:
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by Absent Mind
what style of music do you want the pups for?

and it depends on how much the floyd is recessed, and its adjustment height, probably about 1 or 2 degrees I think, I dont know about OFR dimensions though.

I play metal and rock, but mostly metal. Thanks for the neck angle.

-----

That purple on the Gibson is awesome!
On my plan the OFR is recessed by 5mm so the bottom of the plate is level with the body if that helps with the neck angle.
Lately I've been quite an advocate of Dimarzio D-Activators, and here I think would be another good opportunity to recommend them. You said you were into mostly Rock and Metal... If you don't know what they are, their high output passives that possess the qualities of an active pickup. Very versatile, they are very suited for Rock, hard rock, metal, and even cleans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFY6OgKIdTo
Last edited by SamZee at Oct 3, 2008,
Thanks CapnMud and Samzee. Those pickups seem great, not enough bass for me though, probably the amp settings the reviewer used.

Now I have to transfer my paper plans onto mdf for routing templates. Does anyone have any advice for doing so. it would be a great help.
Last edited by a_man at Oct 3, 2008,
Anytime, I must agree that the low end was bled out, most likely attributing to his EQ and the fact that its a video.

Good luck with your build =)
Thanks, I tried to put the plan on mdf with tracing paper and rubbing it back on ,like in first school, but it didn't work. Bugger.
^ Use a sharp edge, cut through the paper to leave a very thin line. Then trace that cut line and way you go.

There is probably a better way to do it, but that idea just came to me.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^Works for the body outline but i need to do a back and front template and on the plan they are as one. If i had a big enough photocopier I'd do that but its something like A1 size.
Thanks anyway.
^ I don't understand you there.... What is the problem?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Well the plan has one body shape. It has the outlines for the routing for the pickups and stuff on the same body shape it has the routing for the control cavity and such like.

If i were to cut through the paper for the front template I wouldn't have the plan for the back template because the plan would be cut up.

I hope this explains it better.
Oh I see. Both the front and back are on one piece of paper.

K well... there must be some method. Take it to a print shop and have them make copies for you?
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Ok now I've been looking round for a floyd rose locking nut for a 16" radius but I can't seem to find one. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks
If you buy an ibanez locking nut, it should be 16"

I was looking on ebay but non of them seem to specify the radius exactly, and they're 43mm wide, so I dunno...

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Will an Ibanez nut work with an Floyd Rose. I presume it will but I'm just checking.
Hi,
Thread hasn't been active for a while but instead of making a new one I'd use this one. I'm still in a pickle with the pickups, I'm not sure what I should have for the single coil pickup in the middle position. Any opinions?
Are you really going to use it? I it is just for looks put in a cheap GFS or something.

Crazy idea, put in a mini humbucker, you know, single coil sized? 3 humbuckers.... sweet.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I will use it. Minibucker? Never thought of that, any suggestions?
Rails!

SD cool rails, hot rails... eh go look at a pickup website.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Just looked at them, good reviews and a lot of people using them. Thanks.
sorry for double post. I have two questions.

As for inlays can you do them without attaching the fretboard to the neck blank so if i mess it up I can try again?

I would like to try a lightning design down the fretboard where the forks are position markers. Would that be possible to do?

Yes it is possible. Perry Ormsby did an amazing lightning inlay, it shimmered because he used crushed mother of pearl or something crazy like that...

Of course, you could do a regular lightning inlay.

PM him.

As for doing it without being attached, as long as you have it firmly clamped to something hard it should be fine.

EDIT: Also, rather than double posting, you could use the edit button. It's handy .
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Page 1 of 2