Ok im on a very limited budge and i need a mic to record my amp and possibly do vocals. What mic would give me a good sound to do both? Or if its a one or the other thing which mic would give me the best amp sound with decent vocal.
shure sm57 is pretty much industry standard, everyone uses them, they're really durable and they're good for instruments and vocals.

you can get one for £60 - £70

if you're looking for something cheaper then just look at the lower range shure mics
If you don't have an interface, you may want to get a Samson CO3U. It gives a clearer sound and can handle the high outputs of an amp with the pad.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
As of now, i will plug the mic into my toneport. But later when i have the money will sell the toneport and get a Mackie Satellite

My budget is under 100 bucks.

Also i forgot to mention i need some headphones for recording, something with a flat eq.
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Sep 28, 2008,
Audio Technica ATH-M40fs for the headphones. And I'd get the Mackie first before considering microphones and headphones. That way, you can use the better preamps and phantom power.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

toneport has phantom power. I i cant afford to buy the mic + the mackie right now. I would be selling my toneport to partly fund the mackie, so if i bought the mackie i would not be able to record until i got the mic.
Ah. In that case, just get the non-USB versions of the microphones I mentioned.
Quote by keiron_d

So you recommend that samson over the shure sm58/57? Would this work for vocal and amp or just amp. Also what exactly is the model for the non usb one.
do you want a condenser mic or a dynamic mic cause the two are pretty different.

the shure sm57/58 are dynamic mics
the Samson CO3U is a condenser

dynamic mics are more usually used for recording amps
Quote by Chaosinborn
So you recommend that samson over the shure sm58/57? Would this work for vocal and amp or just amp. Also what exactly is the model for the non usb one.

Well, the CO3 could work for amps, though it's more suited for voice. It picks up more of the higher frequencies of an amp, which may not be the best thing, but I've heard good results from it. It's also good if you want to pick up the sound characteristics from a room. Here's a review of it.
SM57s are terrific for guitar...they're used everywhere for live and even studio stuff. They're ok for vocals, and are meant to be placed right next to the speaker.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Well, the CO3 could work for amps, though it's more suited for voice. It picks up more of the higher frequencies of an amp, which may not be the best thing, but I've heard good results from it. It's also good if you want to pick up the sound characteristics from a room. Here's a review of it.
SM57s are terrific for guitar...they're used everywhere for live and even studio stuff. They're ok for vocals, and are meant to be placed right next to the speaker.

Alrite thanks alot