I bought the Linksys WRT54GS wireless router but I can't get it set up. What happens is I put in the disc, follow all its instructions then when it gets to the part where it tries to find the router it says the ethernet cable is not connected correctly, although I'm sure it is.

I tried going on the linksys site and using the online help, but they kept telling me to connect it all up to see what lights were on and it kept disconnecting me from their chat (see #4)

Other Information:

1.) My laptop is running Vista Premium, I'm currently using some other signal floating around, which is also named 'linksys'.
2.)My other computer is a desktop, with a Motorola cable modem.
3.)My ISP is Armstrong.
4.) When I connect everything the signal for the connection I'm currently using goes to excellent but the internet still does not work and it disconnects me.

Any ideas?
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
Last edited by XxXshadowboyXxX at Sep 28, 2008,
type 192.168.1.1 into internet explorer or firefox.
username is blank and password is admin

then go through shit and set it up to your likings. especially the internet setup part
I have a netgear router and a similar thing happend to me, I connected it and the signal strength was excellent but i could not get on the internet. I do not know if this will work for you but I had to reset my router. There should be a reset button on the router you have to push in with a pen or something small. You can try running your disk after that. It worked for me dont know if you have the same problem but you can try that.
vista and linksys will give your comp a BSOD, happend to mine, got a new router that acutally is compatible with VISTA, cause 98% of linksys is all XP compatible ONLY.
Quote by mega d

then go through shit and set it up to your likings. especially the internet setup part

Woah how'd you do that? Problem is, I think you found the IP address of the signal that's just floating around. Could I try the same technique on my desktop then set it up? Right now the new network I set up is still weak.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
Quote by XxXshadowboyXxX
Woah how'd you do that? Problem is, I think you found the IP address of the signal that's just floating around. Could I try the same technique on my desktop then set it up? Right now the new network I set up is still weak.

well since you are wireless make sure you are connected to your network. change the name (ssid). and put a wep password on it. go back into the settings.
are you running cable or dsl?
also keep resetting things to factory default settings and stuff like that. works good

on 192.168.1.1
I'm Steve
Quote by mega d
well since you are wireless make sure you are connected to your network. change the name (ssid). and put a wep password on it. go back into the settings.
are you running cable or dsl?

WEP is balls
breakable in 5 minutes

get with the times and use WPA
Quote by mega d

+1. I have the same router and Vista, it makes me want to rip my eyes out. PM me later and I will send you instructions on how to set up your own secure network.
''Technological advancements are like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.'' - Albert Einstein