alright: the usual intro to all of my threads

I've been playing for only about 10 months. I'm decently good for the amount of time i've been playing (i am currently working on sweeps, which i have gotten to a reasonably speed. Not yngwie or anything but to the point where it sounds like shred.) I'm left handed. I'm a noob.

Alright so i started working on some legato today. I got it to sloppy sixteenths at 80 bpm.

BUT GOD MY LEFT HAND/WRIST HURTS. SERIOUSLY. I HAVE TO USE CAPS TO DESCRIBE IT.

I think its just because of the fifth fret to ninth fret stretch that are on the E and the A, but iunno. My left hand has never really hurt before (other than on the tips when i first started).

What should i do?
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Rest your arm until the pain goes, then continue practice.

Don't practice so intensively which is probably what you're doing, and always warm up thoroughly - stretch all your arm and hand muscles so you don't strain them!
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Rest, and also, Sweeping might sound cool to other people who dont play and dont see the mistakes, but sloppy sweeping seen by another guitarist is looked down upon greatly.
Its better to be a slower more accurate player that makes things sound nice rather then a fast sloppy guitarists who shreds like shit.
Just throwin that out there.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
warmup omgwtfbbq?

oh, i'll try that next time. I picked up my guitar after about 3 hours of not playing and started where i left off on the metronome.

edit: and yeah lagrange i agree. I'm one of those "self-taught" kids, so i rushed into shit and stuff. I'm starting over basically, though. Yesterday i started with a new picking technique and i've been playing stuff much slower.

I used to sweep as fast as possible and miss like two strings but i've been playing only clean sweeps for a bit now so its not like i'm one of those kids that think they're hot shit while much better guitarists look down on them. anymore. I'm one of those kids where more experienced guitarists are like, "at least the kid is trying."
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Sep 28, 2008,
What kind of pain? Achy tired pain, or sharp pain?

Either way, it's because you are new to legato. Every guitarist in the world starts out on legato trying to smash the strings into iron filings trying to get the notes to sound. So of course there is a ton of tension involved in this smashing.

Once you get the hang of it, you don't have to hit the strings that hard to get them to sound good. So, don't worry to much about speeding up just yet, concentrate more on getting the notes to sound good with as little tension as possible.
Yeah...

Stop playing until the pain is gone. Not better, but gone.

Then start again, paying serious attention to your posture, and the degree of tension you have in your hands and arm. Make sure to warm up properly as well.
If you have pain in your hands from playing... well... put it on a table and stretch your hand out on it. Within a few seconds the pain will go away, wait a few minutes and try again. Also don't try to play thru the pain, just stop, stretch it out (and it must be flat on the table after stretching it out. don't flex either, just resting on the table)

An easier way of stretching your fingers is to do it away from the guitar. So put your right hand thumb and middle finger on the tips of your left hands index and middle. Push it apart as far as you can go till it starts burning. Then hold it for a little without adding more tension and then relax. do this for all your fingers on the left hand and then between index and pinky, index and ring finger... etc. pretty soon you'll have a stretch from 5th fret to 12th or 13th.

With the stretching out the way you can focus on the dexterity needed for legato etc...

Any pain, just use the table method. It works and my students can attest to it.

hope this helps, enjoy
Stop playing til it stops hurting. You wanna avoid getting an injury or something. If after a few days it still hurts just as much, go see a doctor or something. It looks like it hurts a lot, and I never experienced that in years of playing. The only pain I ever felt were slight "burns" on my finger tips but that can be easily ignored, or this one time when I practiced for a long time, my left palm(fretting since I'm right-handed) would hurt a bit when contracting my muscles(closing my hand). But yeah I stopped playing for a day and it got away. Never anything that really hurted.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Sleazeball
Rest your arm until the pain goes, then continue practice.

Don't practice so intensively which is probably what you're doing, and always warm up thoroughly - stretch all your arm and hand muscles so you don't strain them!

+1
hue