So I bet you guys have seen these type of threads before, but since everybody is in a unique situation, I figured I would make a thread.

Anyway, here's my situation:
I've been playing for about 2 years now, mainly i have been learning by playing songs by my favorite bands, and keep challenging myself. No real strict practice time involved, just hours of playing increasingly harder songs. By now, I would consider myself a good rhythm guitarist, I have all the techniques down pretty much perfectly, and I just recently learned how to do insane Iced Earth-esque gallops quite well.

So now, all i need to work on is my solos. Except this time I'm willing to set up a strict practice schedule to improve myself, beacuse I don't see enough improvement in just playing solos that are in songs. So what are some good exercises to do through powertab or guitar pro? Could someone upload some files to help specifically with my lead guitar?

BTW- I forgot to mention that I pretty much only play metal, mainly death and thrash, but I dabble in all other metal sub-genres.

Also, Please nobody say just practice scales, I have been down this road many times before, and I get bored and discouraged after only a few days. For me, playing along with the computer holds my attention more and is better for me, so that's why I am requesting pt or gp tabs, even if those are scales.

Sorry for all the text, but I wanted to outline my situation in good detail, hopefully you guys understood what I am trying to say as well, because I typed this quickly and have not checked it over yet for mistakes.
I think there's a shitload of GP exercises in the Advanced Techniques subforum. I might edit this post with a link if I find them.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by eddiethehead888

Sorry for all the text, but I wanted to outline my situation in good detail, hopefully you guys understood what I am trying to say as well, because I typed this quickly and have not checked it over yet for mistakes.

Well, what I'm understanding is that you only want to get better on your terms.
Scales aren't inherently "boring". You decided that they were. They can be
quite interesting. Sometimes you have to look for interest below the surface.
You're looking for a "strict practice schedule", but I'd say you'll just get bored with
that in a few days.

Whether or not your learning songs or doing exercises, you can find plenty of
improvement material. It's more about finding the right mindset and awareness.

If you continue to want things only on your terms, you'll find it difficult to get
anywhere. However, if you learn to embrace the terms that exist and MAKE them
yours, you'll get anywhere you want.
Quote by eddiethehead888
So I bet you guys have seen these type of threads before, but since everybody is in a unique situation, I figured I would make a thread.

Anyway, here's my situation:
I've been playing for about 2 years now, mainly i have been learning by playing songs by my favorite bands, and keep challenging myself. No real strict practice time involved, just hours of playing increasingly harder songs. By now, I would consider myself a good rhythm guitarist, I have all the techniques down pretty much perfectly, and I just recently learned how to do insane Iced Earth-esque gallops quite well.

So now, all i need to work on is my solos. Except this time I'm willing to set up a strict practice schedule to improve myself, beacuse I don't see enough improvement in just playing solos that are in songs. So what are some good exercises to do through powertab or guitar pro? Could someone upload some files to help specifically with my lead guitar?

BTW- I forgot to mention that I pretty much only play metal, mainly death and thrash, but I dabble in all other metal sub-genres.

Also, Please nobody say just practice scales, I have been down this road many times before, and I get bored and discouraged after only a few days. For me, playing along with the computer holds my attention more and is better for me, so that's why I am requesting pt or gp tabs, even if those are scales.

How many actual solos can you play? Do you have the memorized? Can you play them really well? Do you sound close to the original when you play them?

MY suggestion:

Learn solos: Learn them exact, memorize them, recreate them authentically, capture every nuance.

Learn about the solos: what scales are used, what key/chords is the solo over.
learn a variety..... learn different styles

let inspiration lead: learn stuff that inspires you and makes you want to play.

* learning scales & theory along with learning actual music is a good recipe for success.

be patient. It takes time.
shred is gaudy music