hey guys, i just got my first guitar about 2 weeks ago and have been reading tabs online and attempting to play them. i just made a short 30sec video of what I can do right now and was wondering how am I progressing? are there any corrections I should make to my technique?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46dl1TgEgN4
Not bad, you down pick pretty fast, work on alt. picking and power chords and your golden. Very nice overall.
i haven't been working on chords and scales because I feel that they aren't really helping my progress on the things i want to play. do you guys think that just learning songs by tabs is a good way to learn the guitar or do I have to practice scales and such?
Quote by dNWaKE
i haven't been working on chords and scales because I feel that they aren't really helping my progress on the things i want to play. do you guys think that just learning songs by tabs is a good way to learn the guitar or do I have to practice scales and such?

If you just want to play songs, then not really, but if you ever want to write learning your chords and scales is important. And even if you don't want to write, learning them helps you understand how the songs you like work, if you will.
GAS list-o-rama
Orange Tiny Terror Head ($549)
Epiphone VJ Cab ($129)
Seymour Duncan SHPG1/SH-11 set ($95 + $79)
Gaskell Classic (~$680)
Black Gibson SG Standard ($1499)
sorry for the double post but correct me if im wrong but isnt master of puppets played with downstrokes only specifically?
Quote by dNWaKE
sorry for the double post but correct me if im wrong but isnt master of puppets played with downstrokes only specifically?

It is almost, yes but as a technique downpicking is inherently limited so you should learn other picking styles as well.

I would also say that you need to work on your consistency of timing; a lot of the notes were unevenly spaced in that example and it needs to be a continuous stream of 8ths.

More to the point you need to learn how to palm mute if you want to play metal, that's where songs like MoP get their crunch and how they contrast the powerchords with the open notes.

If I were you I'd also work on playing in a slightly more natural position, your guitar will almost certainly never be that high if you play standing up so find a lower position for it to be so that if/when you do play standing up it's not so hard to get used to it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.