I want to customize this strat.

Changes:

1. Floyd Rose (is this even possible?)
2. Toplock (I guess that that kinda comes with the Floyd Rose)
3. One humbuckeroo in single-coil form

I love the looks of an old fashion style instrument (Strat, Tele body) mixed with more modern features such as Floyds. In addition to that, Floyds are fuuuuuuuuuuuun as hell.

Whatdisgonnacost?
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Sep 28, 2008,
Well, the strat body will have to be routed for a conventional floyd rose, unless you get one of those fancy kahler ones, but that only bends down. The top locking nut will cause you to lose a bit of your first fret, and would probably require some serious re-intonation with a tech. The humbucker in a single coil space is relatively simple, though if it's an active one than the battery might have to have its own compartment routed into the body.
Most strats are routed for humbuckers in the bridge... you could just get a real humbucker and do some trimming of your pickguard.

For the Floyd you'd have to do some routing of the body, which would mean repainting...

In all you're probably looking at $150 for the Floyd plus another $100 for installation (unless you do it yourself) and another $100 for a good humbucker.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Well, the strat body will have to be routed for a conventional floyd rose, unless you get one of those fancy kahler ones, but that only bends down. The top locking nut will cause you to lose a bit of your first fret, and would probably require some serious re-intonation with a tech. The humbucker in a single coil space is relatively simple, though if it's an active one than the battery might have to have its own compartment routed into the body.

I don really expect it to bend up anyhow, I've only heard bad stories about Floyds going up and snapping strings.
I don't want an active hummy.

How much do these Kahlers cost?
There's a video series on YouTube detailing Floyds vs. Kahler trems. You might wanna look it up.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
for a trem you could try the super-vee. its a double locking trem made for strats. it is a bit expensive at around $230, but it wont require routing or anything. ive never tried one myself, but if they work like advertised (or even almost that well) i think its a pretty good option for strat owners.
Quote by jof1029
for a trem you could try the super-vee. its a double locking trem made for strats. it is a bit expensive at around $230, but it wont require routing or anything. ive never tried one myself, but if they work like advertised (or even almost that well) i think its a pretty good option for strat owners.

Aye, this is gonne be a bit of a problem.
I'm totally into the Floyd Rose look and the Super-Vees look so old-fashion.

Edit: woowie... the cheapest Floyd Rose that I can find at a local music store costs 200€.

My friend says that when he tried out a Floyd Rose the guitar wouldn't stop detuning itself even though it had a toplock n' stuff.
Was it just that this certain guitar was set up wrong or is this to be expected?
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Sep 29, 2008,
super vee would be the easiest way to go...............your playin a guitar that is pretty much unchanged since the 50's. don't worry about old fashioned. function is more important.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
My friend says that when he tried out a Floyd Rose the guitar wouldn't stop detuning itself even though it had a toplock n' stuff.
Was it just that this certain guitar was set up wrong or is this to be expected?

It was probably just a crappy setup or a crappy Licensed Floyd Rose.

If you want a Strat with a Floyd, buy one of the MIMs with it installed already, modding that Strat will be too much of a hassle and isn't worth it at all imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok, so I called my guitar teacher today to ask about this and he said that he would just buy a new guitar but I should do it if it's really important for me to have an (almost) unique guitar.

This is what it would look like (I'd like the tremelo to be golden however and black humbuckers on a white Stratocaster look meh, so I dunno about those"

AWESOME OR WHAT?
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
AWESOME OR WHAT?

Waste of money says I.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^Agreed, super vee or or MIM with floyd already installed, otherwise you're wasting big bucks on somethings that may not work as well.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
^Agreed, super vee or or MIM with floyd already installed, otherwise you're wasting big bucks on somethings that may not work as well.

I'll follow your sig and say that I like my guitar teachers Flying V with a Floyd Rose but dem Strats still are the coolest.

Look, it's like this. The guitar is a bit older than 10 years and belonged to my guitar teacher (total coincidence though that I bought it from the music store that he sold it too) and I just kinda feel like this will be the one guitar that I'm gonna use for a long, long time and it had better be damn special. This is so worth it for me.
It can still be special without throwing all that stuff on it. If you want a unique guitar, then build one from scratch, with a body that is routed properly and a neck that's routed for a locking tuner.
Quote by Kevin Saale
It can still be special without throwing all that stuff on it. If you want a unique guitar, then build one from scratch, with a body that is routed properly and a neck that's routed for a locking tuner.

If it's re-modelable, then I don't see that problem.
Except for the toplock.
Strat necks are rounder. Arn't toplocks made for flat necks?
You could probably make it work, most modern strats have a 9.5 radius.

For a floyd you'd have to do a lot more routing on the body than you would on the neck. Unless you're an ace with a router then it there is a fair amount of work involved. It's a lot easier to buy a body and neck already routed for a floyd.
Quote by Kevin Saale
You could probably make it work, most modern strats have a 9.5 radius.

For a floyd you'd have to do a lot more routing on the body than you would on the neck. Unless you're an ace with a router then it there is a fair amount of work involved. It's a lot easier to buy a body and neck already routed for a floyd.

He could do it

I'm not doing this myself of course.
I'm gonna have to reason with a butt load of installation fee for this.
He did it himself though, if you can do it yourself, then go ahead, otherwise, with the costs of the installation fees, you could just buy a new guitar.
Quote by Kevin Saale
He did it himself though, if you can do it yourself, then go ahead, otherwise, with the costs of the installation fees, you could just buy a new guitar.

Eh, I already got it used for half-price, I guess spending the other half now is only half bad.

I'm going to a small guitar store tommarow and I'm gonna have it checked out by the guy there, he's supposed to be real good.
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Eh, I already got it used for half-price, I guess spending the other half now is only half bad.

I'm going to a small guitar store tommarow and I'm gonna have it checked out by the guy there, he's supposed to be real good.

I asked about getting a Floyd installed in a guitar once, the guy said £200.

=/
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
This kid is a dolt. Just let him hack his guitar all to hell that way everyone can tell him "I told you so" when he makes another thread whining about his destroyed guitar.

What Kevin said is absolutely correct, you are gonna spend about 500 bucks putting the stupid Floyd on your guitar anyway. May as well just get a new guitar with it already installed then you can have a backup. But you know all in your infinite 15 years of wisdom so go ahead and butcher a perfectly good guitar.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I went to a professionel today and he told me that the Floyd Rose idea was kinda whacky too and if I really, really want it to go with a Kahler because he wouldn't have to rewire much.

@Nebiru: stop being a douche and go listen to your black metal you yet-to-be-born freak
Good god, use that money to buy another guitar, PLEASE.

Search for an old charvel or something - it's pretty much what you're trying to accomplish here anyway....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar
Good god, use that money to buy another guitar, PLEASE.

Search for an old charvel or something - it's pretty much what you're trying to accomplish here anyway....

The humbucker with installation will be 130€ and the Floyd would be about 240€ with installation giving me 370€ is what he gave me as a price.

Seriously though, what are the chances of a professionel ****ing the guitar up so badly?

But the hummy isn't really a problem, right?
^It's not a case of a professional fucking it up. and yes, the humbucker should already be routed.

Personally, i'd rather take that money, invest it in another guitar that is essentially what you're trying to get, and now have two decent guitars, one of which can be used as a backup.

But hey, who am i? Just some idiot trying to save you some cash in the long run....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Kevin Saale
That's still no reason to hack it up. The point is, it's still gonna be cheaper to get a new guitar? Doesn't matter what you paid for that one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Floyd-Rose-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-517910-i1149758.gc

There you go.

agreed +1
Quote by cmakkidguitar

But hey, who am i? Just some idiot trying to save you some cash in the long run....

I already have a second guitar.
I still just don't get what should go wrong or whats wrong with installing a Floyd into the guitar?
Even if I get a new guitar for about 400€, won't the rest of the guitar be of less quality?
Last edited by Nilpferdkoenig at Oct 1, 2008,
If you want to do it, you're willing to spend the money and you don't mind possibly screwing up your guitar if it's done poorly, by all means go for it.

However, if you're just throwing on bells and whistles for the sake of having a unique guitar...

DON'T!

Your guitar is unique and special right now. Go sit down with it, admire its contours and little imperfections. That's your guitar. It's not gonna be any more 'your' guitar once you throw superfluous mods on it.
Quote by Sharck
If you want to do it, you're willing to spend the money and you don't mind possibly screwing up your guitar if it's done poorly, by all means go for it.

However, if you're just throwing on bells and whistles for the sake of having a unique guitar...

DON'T!

Your guitar is unique and special right now. Go sit down with it, admire its contours and little imperfections. That's your guitar. It's not gonna be any more 'your' guitar once you throw superfluous mods on it.

You guys have got me thinking.
I'm getting the humbucker 100% because that's just what I kinda need for hard-rock n' stuff.

I'll rethink the tremelo.
Ok, that's much more reasonable. I suggest purchasing a new pickguard and doing it yourself. It's very easy to solder in a pickup and if you have a properly routed pickguard then all you do is screw the new pickup, and the two old pickups in. Then, bolt the pots and switch down and you're done. Even if it's your first time, 1.5 hrs max.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Ok, that's much more reasonable. I suggest purchasing a new pickguard and doing it yourself. It's very easy to solder in a pickup and if you have a properly routed pickguard then all you do is screw the new pickup, and the two old pickups in. Then, bolt the pots and switch down and you're done. Even if it's your first time, 1.5 hrs max.

Oh, it's gonna be even easier since I'm getting a humbucker in single coil form.
I was able to try one out today and I have to say that I didn't notice a difference between one of these and a "real" hummy.
Cool, that saves you 30 bucks on a pickguard. Glad to see you came around and decided not to hack up a nice guitar.