Hi guys,

I've got Cubase SX2 on my home computer and want to start making some rough demos. What I want to do is to be able to use the MIDI drums which I can program myself, then record actual guitar parts over them and get some stuff laid down semi-decently.

What I'd like to know is how I can record the MIDI drum track to audio? I'm under the impression that I need a soundcard which I can use as a mic preamp and hub to record 'what I hear' from the MIDI tracks.

Is this correct, or what do I need to do? Can anyone recommend a decent external soundcard? I've been looking at the Tascam US 144 but not sure if it suits my requirements.

Cheers!
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
Mute everything except the Midi track, set the markers and go to File/export audio. Name it, save it as a wave file and it'll take a few seconds/minutes. When its done...... go to File/Import and open it. It'll be an audio track now.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Right, it saves as an audio track fine but there's no sound produced from the file when imported. The audio diagram shows a straight line implying that there's no sound there. Do I need to buy a soundcard for it to record properly because if I create an audo track and solo them both, then hit record, it picks the sound up through the microphone. So I'm thinking that I need a sound card to do this?
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
USA Jackson KV2 Sunburst
Jackson KE7
BC Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird

Marshall JVM410H
Marshall 1960A

Korg Pitchblack
MXR Super Comp
Dunlop Slash Wah
ISP Decimator
sorry man.... it works for me. Wish I could offer more.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
You must have done something wrong with the exporting. Talk me through everything you did.
There is poetry in despair.