okay, so my guitar is having a wiring issue- i can't tell what and i'm such a super noob that i've been afraid to really try to fix it. only the bridge pickup works. kind of. i think it's really the pickup SELECTOR that is having the wiring trouble, because sometimes the copper seems to meet in all the right places and i can get both to function, but normally only one functions, and when it's set to the middle, neither USUALLY function.
when i got the guitar a seperate wiring issue prevented the guitar from amplifying- the guitar store guy "fixed the wiring" for $40 but apparently
missed/caused/neglected/pancaked this issue- because the problem is almost certainly a wiring issue.

WHAT I'M ASKING FOR HELP WITH
are there any guitarists who can understand the issues i am having and might be able to briefly run me through fixing it WITHOUT a soldering gun? my step-dad has an unbelievably extensive array of tools, most of which i can confidently operate- a soldering gun is not one of them. i can also prolly get headphone cord to strip and maybe cannibalize an old radio. the guitar model is a gretsch synchronomatic- the electric one from the 90's, not the high end acoustic. (duh)
welp hate to say it, but start practicing your soldering skills.

oh, and try invader jim, he knows what hes talking about when it comes to wiring
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
invader jim... ok. thanks dude.
is there any chance you can direct him to this thread? pming him sounds like a dick move.
will do.

cant gurantee when he will be on though
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Try naming the thread correctly, so people know to look in if they have wiring experience.

People are unlikely to take the time to help if you can't even be bothered to name your thread appropriately, or type in coherent English.
It's possible your neck pickup might be shorted out (intermittently) so when the selector makes it's connection (pos 2 = Bridge +Neck or pos 3 = Neck) it shorts out the signal (no sound).

Have the electronics out in front of you, plug into an amp and try wiggling the wires for the neck pup to the selector. If it makes a difference, one of your wires needs replacing which isn't a big task.

It might also be a bad connection between the switch 'pole' and the contacts. You might be able to use penetrating oil (zx-54?) or WD-40 on the switch contacts to clean them(not the solder joints but where the switch pole connects to them)

Do you have access to a multi-meter and know how to use it?
Quote by Invader Jim
If it's an LP style 3-way, it's prolly the leaves are ****ed and not making contact.

out of the responses I've gotten on this thread, this seems to be the most likely scenario- if i bring the issue to the attention of an experienced guitar rabbi will he be able to fix it without parts? or is there something i need to buy?
You can try to bend them inward a bit, just enough to make them both contact the middle part, but without bending them too much where they'd still both touch even with the switch in another position.

You'd be better off just buying a new one, though. Those switches all have the same shitty design flaw.
It need not be a guitar guy. If it's the switch anyone with a basic level of electrical circuitry knowledge can swap it out (new switch under 15 £/$ just google lp 3 switch or similar).
again, my concern is more for the wires running FROM the switch TO the pickup (assuming that's where they go) i'll let someone really **** with it after i get my artcore- then i'll have a backup in case somethings really ****ed up.
"dude, **** YOU. i forget to capitalize an I
and you just GOTTA post about it? i [not capitalized, so bitch about THAT] realize there aren't any ranks on UG and the only way for you to show us the size of your E-penis is to make a total dick out of yourself- but nothing about my title was even remotely incoherent- and the reason my title was not more relevant to the posed question was because I was not completely sure my thread was properly located- the title draws the eye (a different way to spell I, which requires no capitalization lest you put it at the fore of a sentence) of cosmopolitan forum nazis who will tell ME [as apposed to I which shares the meaning of ME without nessecitating capitalization] if it's in the right spot.
GROW UP, and start making UG a better LESS HOSTILE place to be.
to avoid the potential hipocracy that this issue can foist apon me, i have chosen to PM this rant to you, as apposed to posting it in the thread."

If I were you, I'd learn to solder - like others have suggested. It's a useful skill to have, and soldering is the only way you're going to create a solution that will stand the test of time.

Then, cut all of the wiring out, and start from scratch.
Quote by -MintSauce-
"dude, **** YOU. i forget to capitalize an I
and you just GOTTA post about it? i [not capitalized, so bitch about THAT] realize there aren't any ranks on UG and the only way for you to show us the size of your E-penis is to make a total dick out of yourself- but nothing about my title was even remotely incoherent- and the reason my title was not more relevant to the posed question was because I was not completely sure my thread was properly located- the title draws the eye (a different way to spell I, which requires no capitalization lest you put it at the fore of a sentence) of cosmopolitan forum nazis who will tell ME [as apposed to I which shares the meaning of ME without nessecitating capitalization] if it's in the right spot.
GROW UP, and start making UG a better LESS HOSTILE place to be.
to avoid the potential hipocracy that this issue can foist apon me, i have chosen to PM this rant to you, as apposed to posting it in the thread."

If I were you, I'd learn to solder - like others have suggested. It's a useful skill to have, and soldering is the only way you're going to create a solution that will stand the test of time.

Then, cut all of the wiring out, and start from scratch.
hey Minty, I disagree about cutting out all the wiring and starting from scratch. it sounds to me like it's probably just a matter of replacing the selector.

but learning to solder is important. without that skill, you're dead in the water.

thanks for the copy/pasta of his PM. i haven't seen a collection of moronic knee-jerk reactions this amusing in quite some time.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
hey Minty, I disagree about cutting out all the wiring and starting from scratch. it sounds to me like it's probably just a matter of replacing the selector.

but learning to solder is important. without that skill, you're dead in the water.

thanks for the copy/pasta of his PM. i haven't seen a collection of moronic knee-jerk reactions this amusing in quite some time.

Yep, I was thinking along the lines of tidying up whatever body the shop guy did, and using it as soldering practice. Also, he'd be able to see exactly what was going on, and perhaps diagnose the problem better.

I'm with you on the switch - gut instinct would tell me that it's a Gibson-style switch with dirty or bent leaves, like you and Jim have suggested... especially if it's from the early 90's.