ok so im in a band and we are playing some shows soon.

our music has keyboard in it but we dont have a keyboard player and we dont have time to look for one since there are big shows coming up.

we need the keyboard to be played but we dont know what to do.

i heard use a i pod but i wanna know what u guys think

thats a adapter i have, if we have to use that then we will.

-- edit--

oh and by the way we got all the keyboard recorded on logic pro and we cant move the computer for live.
I assume an IPod would work, but you'd have to be sure that you're playing in time with it.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
well, you could do it, i'd just use a headphone in/out chord and a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter personally.
The main problem is timing, cuz if you go off time at all, the ipod won't, so you'll sound off.

I always manage to post right after someone who had the same answer =P
^ and if ur gonna do that, i'd make damn sure to practise with the playback so u won't be out of time
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by Merge
I assume an IPod would work, but you'd have to be sure that you're playing in time with it.

ya that would be the hard part but hey with good practice i think it will work.
Yeah the biggest problem with using an iPod is that the rest of the band will have to make sure that they're in time with it, and unless it's a pretty percussive keyboard sound, it's gonna be damn ahrd and will probably wind up sounding like poop.

If you absolutely HAVE to have the ipod going, then somehow give your drummer a click track to play to (headphones from a small metronome probably would be best) which is at the same tempo as the keys on the ipod, and make sure he starts them both so he can keep time.

Basically, it's a whole lot of dicking around no matter which way you cut it.
ya we would be practicing the whole set like crazy.

but the thing is, when the song ends live idk who will be controlling the i pod. so im kinda worried about that.
Totally use an iPod. Back in the old days, this was a trick because there was no such thing as mp3 players, CDs skipped, tapes got chewed, etc., so the only solution was to have an expensive sampler or something.

These days....I would totally not have a problem doing this. Here is what you do. (It will take some practice, because if *one* person screws up, the mp3 won't be able to adjust.)

Put your keyboard parts, samples, etc. on one side of a stereo track.... arbitrarily, let's say the left. Put a click on the other side... the right. You might want to include the keys and samples on the right too, but the click needs to be loud and clear or the whole thing will fall apart.

From the iPod, run a split cord that will send the right side to one cable and the left side to the other cable. You may also find an adapter that will do this. The two MUST be separate, though.

Run the click side to the drummer's monitor. For best results, run a line to the drummer with a set of headphones so he can hear the click in his ears, but nobody else anywhere out front or on stage can hear the click. Be sure to give about 8 beats of click before the song would actually begin. 4 beats for the drummer to listen to, and 4 for the drummer to count the band in with.

The 'non-click' side gets routed to the stage monitors and out front to the PA to the audience so everyone can hear it.

The click keeps the drummer in time, and the drummer keeps everyone else in time. If you do it right, all the samples and keys start and stop perfectly on cue.

If you miss even one beat.... everything is off by one beat. It only gets worse from there, usually.

*edit* - because the drummer has to be able to follow the click track on the one side of the iPod track perfectly, leave it to the drummer to start and stop it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
What he said, lol.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
ok. now heres a real good question.

some of the venues here in town have the sound board behind the crowd.

where do i plug in the i pod and who do i give it to?
Give it to the drummer. Run your splitter or whatever like this:
-one side to drummer headphone
-one side to a quarter-inch jack like a guitarist or bass player would have. That quarter inch jack, like a bass player or keyboard player would use, would go to a DI box and from there out to the PA - just like a bass player or keyboard player. From there, it behaves exactly like any other instrument that is being sent through the PA.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.