Christmas is rolling around and I want to get a new guitar instead of my Dean EVO XM which is starting to break on me, my favorite design for a guitar is the Gibson Explorer but those dont have EMGs in them, would the pickups that Gibson puts in the Explorers do well, or would I have to install EMGs to put in them Im wanting to spend 400-700 you can get used explorers off ebay for about 700.. so yeah thats how Id get it for that price and if anybody could help me with picking a guitar it would be really helpful Ive been searching forever and just cant make up my mind

-- Thanks
esp makes explorer style guitars pre-loaded with emgs and those are good metal guitars
Quote by trojanfan12
esp makes explorer style guitars pre-loaded with emgs and those are good metal guitars

+10. obviously u want a hetfield axe so just go buy one. just make sure its white with "EET FUK" written on it.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by urdistraction7
what about this
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EX400-Electric-Guitar?sku=512028
it basically a explorer shape (just a little different) and it comes with EMG's

yeh gives you what you want.

i'd play it first tho to make sure you like it
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
I always loved the shape of the explorer, then I got into metal music and found out that James hetfield used an ESP explorer but those things are so expensive I'm probably gonna go with that EX-400 you showed me I will probably go with the Olympic white
wats ur amp?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
get a new amp dude, theres no point having an ESP explorer if ur playing it through that piece of shit
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'd say... Maybe a Peavey Valveking 112, or a Randall RG50TC?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Get an amp before the guitar if you think your current guitar will last you long enough, your amp makes up much more of your tone than your guitar does and to be completely honest your amp is terrible.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Why do you think its terrible? It sounds just fine to me and is there gonna be a problem not having a whammy bar tremolo Floyd rose whatever you want to call on it also on picking an amp the most Id want to spend now is $200-400 for an amp

--Thanks
Last edited by Smokiedahippo at Sep 28, 2008,
alright i'll tell you right now that it will save you money in the long run if you spend more money on your amp than your new guitar....really...i played my $350 guitar (modded with SD pickups) through my $1400 randall (before it blew up obviously), and it sounded every bit as good as a $1000 guitar. i play my guitar through my $80 ibanez and it sounds NO better than any other guitar would through it.

common guitarist knowledge will USUALLY tell you that crap guitar through great amp= good tone; and great guitar through crap amp= boring tone.

just trust us more experienced guys and the seasoned vets on here when we all try to tell you that the amp is MORE important. we're not secretly trying to screw you over or anything, we want you to get the most for your money.

but it IS important that you like the guitar you play, and if yours is becoming unplayable, then by all means get a newer one. BUT, you don't need to spend $800 for a kickass guitar, however you WILL want to spend a good deal on your amp. it's just how it is bro, everyone will tell you the same.

what's your style that you play mostly? what bands do you usually try to sound like? i'll tell you right now that if you're buying used, save up to around $550 at LEAST and you will be able to afford some really NICE used amps that will blow you away with their sound.

i hope i was helpful, this is my first bit of real advice in like over a month since i've been more absent lately...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
I like metal stuff and classic rock I want to play is Megadeth, Metallica maybe some Iron maiden Black sabbath Guns n Roses Blue oyster cult man I could list a whole bunch of stuff Id play but yeah thats some of my favorite bands. What makes the sound of an amp better not the watts? that just makes it louder I think I looked up alot about guitars but never amps just when I got my first guitar I got the one amp above the really cheap one and so far it sounds fine to me, I wont be able to play my guitar loud I'm just practicing really I wouldn't really wanna spend over 350 for an Amp and like 600 for a guitar.
wow. i'd seriously just buy the guitar now instead of practicing with some piece of shit guitar. you just want a better guitar so buy one and then get an amp. get used to the guitar and then buy an amp you want. trust me. i would never buy an amp before a guitar. i think playability and comfort comes before tone especially if you're only practicing at home.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I was really thinking like the guy above me Im playing on a Dean EVO XM and the place where you plug in the amp chord is messed up somehow whenever I sit down or even move the sound starts to make this loud annoying as hell static sound or it wont play for a second then comes back but I tried my amp chord + amp on my friends Jackson and it worked flawless.

I've made up my mine I'm going to get the ESP LTD EX 400 in Olympic white for Christmas and get an amp for my birthday in march.

you guys have been tons of help with me today, now all I need to find is a good amp from $200-400 that would work for practicing and local gigs(Which I wouldn't be doing for awhile if ever)
Last edited by Smokiedahippo at Sep 29, 2008,
Quote by Smokiedahippo
I like metal stuff and classic rock I want to play is Megadeth, Metallica maybe some Iron maiden Black sabbath Guns n Roses Blue oyster cult man I could list a whole bunch of stuff Id play but yeah thats some of my favorite bands. What makes the sound of an amp better not the watts? that just makes it louder I think I looked up alot about guitars but never amps just when I got my first guitar I got the one amp above the really cheap one and so far it sounds fine to me, I wont be able to play my guitar loud I'm just practicing really I wouldn't really wanna spend over 350 for an Amp and like 600 for a guitar.

Read the Stickies on Amps
you do understand that 70 Percent of the tone comes from the amplifier?

Wattage is just a measure of power usually use to predict how loud an amp will be, but in reality it is just the amount of power consumed.
Tube amplifiers generally sound thicker, more chunky, and louder than solid state amplifiers, so thats probably what you'd want to go for.

I'd recommend putting ALL your cash into an amp and just upgrading your current guitar. For what you want to play, I'd recommend

Peavey Valveking with FJA mods
Peavey Classic 30 with an OD pedal
Randall RG50TC
Bugera 6262
B-52 AT-100
Used Mesa F-30
Used Mesa .50 Caliber
Used Mesa DC-2
Used Peavey XXX combo
Used Peavey Ultra
Used Marshall JCM800
Used Marshall JCM900
Laney GH50L

Any of those amps would do

As long as your guitar is not unplayable, a 300 dollar guitar through a 600 dollar amp is going to sound better than a 600 dollar guitar through a 300 dollar amp.
Whats the benefits of a distortion pedal? dosent the amp have an option for distortion?

I looked at the amps on that list and would you prefer the Randall RG50TC? would that amp still do good on clean?

I read that thread you gave me and it said those 100w expensive tube amps are too loud for practice at home and sounds much better really loud (which I wont be doing)
get the ESP LTD EX 400
and get a randall half stack RX120DH
even though the amp is solid state, you can buy a new tube head later down the track and keep the cabinet
the amp is a randall so you know it is gona be good
and i agree with getting it in white as i have the same set up i just said
it is awesome
Quote by Stretch_Wilson
get the ESP LTD EX 400
and get a randall half stack RX120DH
even though the amp is solid state, you can buy a new tube head later down the track and keep the cabinet
the amp is a randall so you know it is gona be good
and i agree with getting it in white as i have the same set up i just said
it is awesome

or why not just buy a tube head/combo now and be satisfied?

oh, and just because its a randall don't mean its good.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Should I get a guitar with a whammy bar instead of no whammy bar what are the pros/cons if so Id probably get a Dean ML 79 or a Jackson Kelly but imo the Kelly is ugly

are the pickups on the ML '79 as good as EMGS?