Isn't it pretty much like playing a vertical fretless bass?

Do you have a reasonable ear?
Quote by lolcats
Isn't it pretty much like playing a vertical fretless bass?

Do you have a reasonable ear?

Yes.

it's not really like playing vertical fretless, because there are a shedload of technqiues you find only on contrabass- such as jumping bow, col legno, pizzicato...
Meh. YOu'd hurt yourself if you didn't have a teacher IMO.
It's probebly the hardest instrument I've ever played.
The left hand technique is really stange too.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Might be worth pointing out I'm a LH bassist

I think that classical instruments are all played in the same manner.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I don't have time for lessons.

then where do you have time from regular practice
Quote by seljer
then where do you have time from regular practice

I have two hours bass practice a day...I could do more if I wanted.
From what I've read it sounds like you're quite intent on doing it, confident you can do it, know a good amount about it already, and refuse to take lessons anyway. So... why the thread?? Do it already
I love my...

Parker Nitefly Mojo - custom
Schecter 006 Hellraiser
Ibanez S470QS

Mesa / Boogie F-50
Vox AD50VT

Seagull Artist Studio cutaway I-beam

Ibanez ATK700
Ibanez Soundwave 35
Quote by tasty licks
From what I've read it sounds like you're quite intent on doing it, confident you can do it, know a good amount about it already, and refuse to take lessons anyway. So... why the thread?? Do it already

Try the fact I don't have a contrabass of my own.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Yes.

it's not really like playing vertical fretless, because there are a shedload of technqiues you find only on contrabass- such as jumping bow, col legno, pizzicato...

dont you already do pizzicatto on a normal bass, isnt that the main technique on a normal bass, that was a bit of a standard answer, you should research what you are doing better, maybe you arent ready. and arent the other techniques found on every other bowed instrument. you my friend, have been dealt the wrath of iamultimate.
Quote by iamultimate
dont you already do pizzicatto on a normal bass, isnt that the main technique on a normal bass, that was a bit of a standard answer, you should research what you are doing better, maybe you arent ready. and arent the other techniques found on every other bowed instrument. you my friend, have been dealt the wrath of iamultimate.

balls.

The music course I do makes ALL bassists read Simandl. Pretty pointless considering I play electric.

Also, I never fingerpick on my bass. I slap-bass or pick.
Quote by Mad Marius
For any instrument from the violin family, get a teacher.

I'm a self-taught violinist so I know how hard it is to teach yourself anything bowed.

I need money...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm a self-taught violinist so I know how hard it is to teach yourself anything bowed.

I need money...

So, you're a self-taught violinist and you're wondering if it's possible to learn contrabass on your own?...

Quote by Mad Marius
So, you're a self-taught violinist and you're wondering if it's possible to learn contrabass on your own?...

What I should have said is that I would NOT recommend self-teaching the violin. It was hard work and I'm still crap.

BUT I was wondering, with me being a self-taught ELECTRIC bassist whether I could learn the double bass the same way.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
What I should have said is that I would NOT recommend self-teaching the violin. It was hard work and I'm still crap.

BUT I was wondering, with me being a self-taught ELECTRIC bassist whether I could learn the double bass the same way.

No, you can't. Get a teacher, or you will hurt yourself. The muscles and technique used are entirely different.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

They're completely different instruments. So essentially, no.
Quote by Mad Marius
They're completely different instruments. So essentially, no.

on the same hand, essentialy i went to a jazz camp and played electric bass, and after watching so many people play double bass i asked a guy to try his, picked it up and could play my music on it, you need crazy strength to get used to it and to be able to play a whole song on it, but you can teach yourself just watch lots of players and ask around. ive seen some people play it horribly...
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
I taught myself double bass when i was like nine, you can do it =]

pizzicato isn't that hard, and if you learn to place your left hand on the fingerboard the right way you won't hurt yourself at all.
Its Complicated
this time i think it might be
Triangulated