So, for a long time I wanted an HSS Strat, but then I found out that Fender doesnt make them left-handed for some strange reason. So, now im looking at alternatives, and since you all know about guitars, I would appreciate your opinions.

One guitar that im looking at is a standard Stratocaster, because I like a lot of people who play them (John Frusciante), and they're in my price range. However, they use single coil pick-ups, and I really like humbuckers more, so im not sure. Also, im currently using a Squiare Stratocaster, and I dont like it that much. Im not sure if Fender Stratocasters are that much better, but I know I dont really like the squire. Also, im just kind of pissed off at them for not having left handed HSS Stratocasters.

The other guitar that im looking at is an Epiphone Led Paul, because I love the sound humbuckers get, and one of my favourite guitarists (Rivers Cuomo) uses Les Paul guitars. Unfortunately, Les Paul's (or any Gibson guitar, I think) are way out of my price range, which leaves me with the option of getting the cheaper Epiphone version. Im slightly cautious though, due to my experience with Squire guitars.

I also looked at some Ibanez's, but I dont play any metal at all, so im counting those out for now.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for reading.
Epiphones are generally superior to Squiers in terms of quality. Most Epiphones use 'real' wood (as opposed to a Squier's poplar or plywood) if you really prefer the humbucker sound get an Epi.

But mind you, you won't be able to get a Strat sound from an Epi and vice versa.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
i would get the epiphone iver a strat anyday but thats mostly preference
blahblahblah
if you really want a hss strat, get the lefty standard or whatever then get a humbucker and drop it in.
epis are VERY good for the price. surprisingly, i can get a really nice classic rock/bluesy sound out of my Ibanez if i want to though so i wouldnt give up on them so fast.
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
I'd say a Stratocaster if you really like all the guitarists that use them. I think they're extremely versatile and if you really want the humbucker, just put one in the bridge.

I love my Strat, but mine is an HSS. So, try a few lefty Strats and some Epiphones and choose the one you prefer.

Make sure you play them on an amp that you own, not on some godly marshall stack with amazing everything and such.
Yeah, Ibanez's dont HAVE to be metal.
Try a few out.
And between those two? The Epi
Gear -

-Dean MLX
-Standard P-Bass
-Behringer Ultrabass BX300 (It can't wait to crap out on me)

Quote by wyantsm
if you really want a hss strat, get the lefty standard or whatever then get a humbucker and drop it in.

That would be my solution. pretty sure you only have to trim the pickguard. The slot in the body is large enough.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Budget? Maybe we could recommend something else that's within your budget.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
Budget? Maybe we could recommend something else that's within your budget.

Anywhere up to around $800. $1000 would be my definite max. If you have anything within that range that you recommend, then im definitely willing to take suggestions.

Oh, and in regards to just replacing one of the pick-ups, I have absolutely zero technical skills when it comes to this stuff, so that not really an option. Right now im leaning towards Epiphone, though I have to ask, which company has the best neck? I kind of want a fast neck. Not a required feature, but my hands arent that big, so I neck that would accommodate that would be nice. Not necessary, though.
get a brazen that has 2 humbuckers that can coil tap and use single coils
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Im kind of leaning towards the Stratocaster now, because the reviews for the Epiphone have been pretty bad. Is the Standard Stratocaster much better then the Squire Stratocaster?
Quote by Burning_October
Im kind of leaning towards the Stratocaster now, because the reviews for the Epiphone have been pretty bad. Is the Standard Stratocaster much better then the Squire Stratocaster?

I started out on a Squier Strat, and I hated it. I now use a MIM Standard HSS, and I love it. I play out live quite a bit, and it never lets me down. It's quite a step up from a Squier.
I'm fairly certain they do make HSS left hand strats.

Much more versatile than said Epiphone. Get a MIM Strat and see how you like it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Get the Epiphone Les Paul!!They ROCK!!!
My 1970's Gibson Epiphone Electric is Cool!!
Quote by IJAMFORJESUS
Get the Epiphone Les Paul!!They ROCK!!!

Well put. I do agree, they are not bad (Used to own one), but I just think that, for versatility, the TS'd be better with a Strat (which I own now).
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
I'm fairly certain they do make HSS left hand strats.

Much more versatile than said Epiphone. Get a MIM Strat and see how you like it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

If they do have HSS Stratocasters, then I would certainly give that a try, but the website does not list any. I guess I could custom order it?

I gave a couple guitars in the Ibanez S series a look, and they seem good. Fast neck, two humbuckers and a single coil, seems like a good set up. But i've heard that they're not the great for anything other then metal. Can anyone confirm this?
for 800-100 you can find a used gibson les paul studio or a gibson sg standard. i got mine for 790 and it totally kick ass
Quote by Burning_October
Does anyone know if Telecasters are any good? Them and Stratocasters seem pretty good.

Tele's are really nice, but for versatility, the Strat beats it I think...

Do you mean Fender's website doesn't list it? Because I'm almost 100% certain that all of their models (or a good number of them) come in left handed variants.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Tele's are really nice, but for versatility, the Strat beats it I think...

Do you mean Fender's website doesn't list it? Because I'm almost 100% certain that all of their models (or a good number of them) come in left handed variants.

On their website they dont list a left handed HSS Stratocaster. They have left handed Standard Strats, not HSS.
C'mon they even have HSS lefties in Australia, chances are if we have em... you'll certainly have them.

I have and EPI and MIM HSS, I pefer the strat tbh.
now, with an $800-$1000 price range......if you look around hard enough, you may be able to find a used G&L Legacy or similar in left-handed. if you're able to, buy the thing without hesitation. A G&L is an exceedingly excellent investment.

Only lefty G&L on ebay at the moment. see if you like: http://cgi.ebay.com/Left-Handed-G-L-ASAT-telecaster-Custom-Classic_W0QQitemZ330275283615QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330275283615&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Their website, feel free to check it out: http://www.glguitars.com
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Sep 29, 2008,
Whilst epi's are good guitars for the value, I think you should get the HSS strat.
If they don't have lefty HSS strats you could:
Get a guitar tech to do it
Get someone you know to do it
Learn to do it yourself.The wiring on the squier shouldn't really be that different.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by LeD_ZePpElIn_
wat is ur exact price range. because i look at that strat u told us about it said $400 to $600 and is this ur first guitarcause if it is then get a epiphone chek this epiphone out

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIENSP

Well, for me the cheaper the better, because I think that I have to factor in an amp to that price. Anyway, I dont think ill get an Epi, the reviews that i've read havent been that good. The Telecaster looks nice, though. Ill stop by the music shop near me in a few days and try a few of these out.