Im thinking of getting an SX telecaster to mod the hell outta, does anybody have an SX guitar? And if so how is the build quality?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

If you're going to be putting money into the pickups, hardware, etc... get something a little better. Maybe look for a semi beat cheaper Fender that you could paint.
Quote by SenorSmiley
If you're going to be putting money into the pickups, hardware, etc... get something a little better. Maybe look for a semi beat cheaper Fender that you could paint.

I would but all im going to be doing is putting in a 20 dollar bridge, a 25 dollar humbucker, and a 10 dollar push pull pot.

Then maybe down the road, i'll add more stuff.

I've got an SX strat, it's not bad, neck was fine, body was fine, etc. I'd rate it as a step above the Squier Affinity guitars, but that's about it. Threw a Guitarfetish wired pickguard on and it's a perfectly acceptable guitar.

Should be a fine cheap modding project.
Save up for a Squier Affinity Telecaster. 10x better in almost all areas, and $50 is not that big a leap to save up.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I just recently got an SX strat and I find it above the Affinity series Squiers. Everything pretty much checks out. It was actually better than I expected in some areas (the stock pups don't sound bad at all for $110 dollars), the tuners hold up pretty well. Goes out of tune insanely fast when you use the trem, but what budget vintage style trem doesn't? I'd say it's a good investment if you plan on upgrading most of the stuff on there.
Is your SX strat's neck orange?

My friend's was.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
I just recently got an SX strat and I find it above the Affinity series Squiers. Everything pretty much checks out. It was actually better than I expected in some areas (the stock pups don't sound bad at all for $110 dollars), the tuners hold up pretty well. Goes out of tune insanely fast when you use the trem, but what budget vintage style trem doesn't? I'd say it's a good investment if you plan on upgrading most of the stuff on there.

thanks man, i appreciate the input.

Quote by pugnapugnapugna

I had the same trem problem but a new nut helped immensely, I was surprised how much of a difference it made.
anyone else before i get off for the night?

Get it,I really like the Telecaster,there very good guitars.
My 1970's Gibson Epiphone Electric is Cool!!
My closing comments.

It is the worst high production brand in history. You would have to pay me to take one, I hate the brand and everything it stands for. Everything about the guitars and basses SX offer are terrible, from the necks, to the hardware, to the electronics. Although Douglass is reasonably bad and Agile is pretty good, SX is terrible. A solid waste of $100.

Squier is much better, their necks are superior to most fenders, and the quality control has gone up over the years. A $50 leap in price is a small amount to pay to get an enjoyable guitar playing experiance.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Im still thinking the SX would be just as good, from all the reviews ive read people seem to think that they are better then squiers. Maybe you just got a bad one?

Quote by kranoscorp
Is your SX strat's neck orange?

My friend's was.

The finish they use on the back of it is slightly orange. It doesn't look bad, and it's not like I care what the finish on the back of the neck looks like.
i have a strato sst62 and,a part from the pickups (which work pretty well with a nice amp,even a roland cube 30x) the guitar is really well builded,the neck is very confortale and there are no problems of bridge or other things....well a dunno about the telecaster,but if it s like my strato,just change pu and u have a great guitar for the price,really!!!

A friend of mine has 2 SX too....a strato limited (the finishes are awesome for the price) and a explorer shaped ( a little too heavy)....pu changed...now those guitars are 2 beasts....
Quote by gtr_101
Im still thinking the SX would be just as good, from all the reviews ive read people seem to think that they are better then squiers. Maybe you just got a bad one?

I tried an SX strat and an SX pbass. Although the pbass did not have an orange neck (this is due to the fact that it has a satin finished neck, the strat's was laquer), they both shared the same problems. Horrendous wiring and hardware, an generally uncomfortable to play.

Quote by pugnapugnapugna
The finish they use on the back of it is slightly orange. It doesn't look bad, and it's not like I care what the finish on the back of the neck looks like.

My friend's was tangerine orange. Why settle for such things like this when a Squier Affinity is so much better?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp

My friend's was tangerine orange. Why settle for such things like this when a Squier Affinity is so much better?

No, mine definitely isn't tangerine orange. As far as I'm concerned, it plays and sounds better than most Squiers I've played. I don't see how you can generalize a whole brand when so many people are satisfied with them.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
No, mine definitely isn't tangerine orange. As far as I'm concerned, it plays and sounds better than most Squiers I've played. I don't see how you can generalize a whole brand when so many people are satisfied with them.

That's the same with fender and gibson often...well but it s simple,just take a look at youtube...there are plenty of sx vid
I had a strato vintage 62'. (see profile for pic)
They're really nice guitars, I only changed the bridge pickup (stocks aren't very good); but everything else was fine.
In my opinion you get a lot more of what you pay, and if you're planning on modding it, you'll end up with a really nice guitar.