want to record songs at your own pace or what to record live? a guitar to usb would be a start for home recording, look at the stealth plug.
as for live, it's going to be hard to make do that well without spending some money
You can make a whole album using audacity if you have decent equipment..I have the presonus firestudio project, its an 8 mic pre firewire recording interface, you can record the entire band at once if you want to, on your computer, all at professional quality sound. Just plug your mics into it (1/4 inch jacks or XLR, you can even plug guitars and bass right into the thing) and connect the cable to your computer and you're set. And it comes with Cubase LE recording software which is better than Audacity, although I often just use audacity because its interface is much simpler and easier to use. The firestudio project really is great, you can get one here for $450, for the price it's really one of the best in its class.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFSPROJECT

Oh, and you can record live shows with it as well
Last edited by OpposingForce at Oct 13, 2008,
A couple of important questions first...

1. What is your budget?
2. What are your needs and expectations for sound quality?
3. What do you hope to do with the recordings?
4. Are you recording the whole band in layers or live off the floor? Or some combination of both?
5. Are you going to be doing drums?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Seperate drum mics are a must. My band learned that the hard way! lol

PS: question here, would a regular camcorder be able to pick up the sound of a band with two 15 watt guitar amps + PA just a bit louder than the average drummer? Or should I just forget about getting a vid of us jamming and just get some audio?

Depends on the camera. If you just get a little $400.00 camcorder from Sears it's not going to have a very good mic. It will pick up the sound, but it will be in a fairly bad quality. If you invest in an expensive camera and real boom stick, you can get a pretty good sound quality recorded.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
Quote by Superstrat101

PS: question here, would a regular camcorder be able to pick up the sound of a band with two 15 watt guitar amps + PA just a bit louder than the average drummer? Or should I just forget about getting a vid of us jamming and just get some audio?

all your gonna hear there is drums
Quote by Superstrat101
Seperate drum mics are a must. My band learned that the hard way! lol

Do the vid and record the audio separate then use your computer to sync them together.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
Do the vid and record the audio separate then use your computer to sync them together.

Ahh. I like how you think. Thanks!