So i have a bunch of bandrelated questions i wanted to ask, and I didnt really want to plague the forum with topics. So yeah, just answer one or two if you want you don't have to do all of them.

1. Making myself a better candidate to be asked to be in a band.
Clearly being a better player, but when you guys ask people to join are there any things you look for? creativity, potential, how they compliment your band as a musician? things like that?

2. Should I try to learn bass?
I know for a fact that like 50 people in my school play guitar, but there are only like 10 bassists. Point is I'd like to try being in a band, I've had three opportunities and shot em all down. so i figure that I'll get more varied/ different chances if i can play two instruments. thoughts?

3. Would knowing alot of decent songs or a few really good songs make me better as someone in a band? As in, more desirable as a bandmate, not better as a musician.

That's pretty much it. I know i should be myself and everything, and get into a band that way, but I still want to just be a part of a band to see what its like.
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
1. I find it more important that you get along very well with your bandmates and have similar interests than everyone being musical geniuses but completely apart from each other
2. It can be useful, if you want to learn it then learn it. Otherwise it might be worth sticking to guitar and working on improving your skills on that
3. Not usually, you can always learn
ohai little sig.
Quote by Davus
So i have a bunch of bandrelated questions i wanted to ask, and I didnt really want to plague the forum with topics. So yeah, just answer one or two if you want you don't have to do all of them.

1. Making myself a better candidate to be asked to be in a band.
Clearly being a better player, but when you guys ask people to join are there any things you look for? creativity, potential, how they compliment your band as a musician? things like that?

You should be an overall nice person. Say hi, thank you, etc. Show your versitality and ability to compromise. You're a band member, not a guitarist-for-hire. You have to get along.

2. Should I try to learn bass?
I know for a fact that like 50 people in my school play guitar, but there are only like 10 bassists. Point is I'd like to try being in a band, I've had three opportunities and shot em all down. so i figure that I'll get more varied/ different chances if i can play two instruments. thoughts?

If you want to learn bass, go for it. However, if you go and say, "I can play bass and guitar," and they're looking for bass, guess what? You're stuck on bass.

3. Would knowing alot of decent songs or a few really good songs make me better as someone in a band? As in, more desirable as a bandmate, not better as a musician.

A couple popular tunes (Paranoid, Stairway To Heaven) Stuff that you can jam with to get to know each other is always helpful. Then, learn keys, scales, chords, theory and all that jazz. You'll be able to improv and follow along with your bandmates.

That's pretty much it. I know i should be myself and everything, and get into a band that way, but I still want to just be a part of a band to see what its like.

I'm in bold.
I'd say that the one thing I look for first in a band mate is if i can get along with them. Skill can come with practice so just be a nice guy and have a chill personality

Being a bass player I think it helps when you know about how to play. It shows your skill as a multi-musician and if your good your more likely to have a permanent spot in a band.

I'd say knowing more technical songs would help you in the long run especially if your band isn't as advanced as you cause then you don't have to worry about not being able to play their style of music and can be shown as a leader of the group or melding as a soloist and complimenting your fellow band mates.
Traben Array Custom 5-String
Acoustic 170 Combo
Line 6 Bass Pod

1.I look for someone that isn't an arrogant douche when it comes to their guitar playing. Then,I want to be able to get along with them.If you can't get along with your bandmates,nothings gonna happen.Your band mates will end up being your closest friends. Also,they have to be dedicated to what theyre doing and can't have a "whatever" attitude,and ditch practice,for lets say,smoking pot or drinking.

2.The more instruments you can play the better chance you have of being in a band.And you get to learn how other instruments work,which is very helpful when writing songs.

3.If you can have a good jam session with them,and are able to exchange ideas and riffs then thats great.Knowing some theory always helps too. owever,the harder songs you can play will influence the way they look at you,so its always a good ida to know some challenging songs that will impress them.But keep a laid back and friendly attitude or else they will feel intimidated by you.

Hope I helped.
-Joshh
Quote by lookitsjoshh
1.I look for someone that isn't an arrogant douche when it comes to their guitar playing. Then,I want to be able to get along with them.If you can't get along with your bandmates,nothings gonna happen.Your band mates will end up being your closest friends. Also,they have to be dedicated to what theyre doing and can't have a "whatever" attitude,and ditch practice,for lets say,smoking pot or drinking.

2.The more instruments you can play the better chance you have of being in a band.And you get to learn how other instruments work,which is very helpful when writing songs.

3.If you can have a good jam session with them,and are able to exchange ideas and riffs then thats great.Knowing some theory always helps too. owever,the harder songs you can play will influence the way they look at you,so its always a good ida to know some challenging songs that will impress them.But keep a laid back and friendly attitude or else they will feel intimidated by you.

Hope I helped.
-Joshh

Agreed 100%
Also I'd like to add, have a good sense of humour, you're gonna need it, and learn both complicated and simple covers. That way you'll have all the bases covered.
Complicated songs are great, but almost everyone likes to just rock out with a basic catchy riff occasionaly.
Agreeing with all of this so far. A couple of things to add, though...

- if it isn't already, make sure to diversify your tastes in music. If you are, say, a hard-core metalhead and think everything else sucks, you have drastically reduced the number of people who will be interested in even hearing you play, never mind actually jamming with you.

-learning other instruments is nice, but most bands are looking for one person to fill one spot. If they're looking for a guitar player and you come in and tell them you play drums too, it will help solidify their perception of you as a musician, but the odds of you really ever being asked to play drums in that band too are slim at best. What might be desirable, though, is a guitarist who can double on keyboards.

-learn to sing!!! Not that you'll wind up taking the singer's job, but your ability to contribute backing vocals is a real and genuine selling feature.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.