So, I spend most of my time here on the Gear and Accessories forum, or the Riffs and Recording forum. Sorry, if you get these questions all the time but its time to get me a steel string acoustic.

A little background, I own a couple of electric guitars already and most of my funds go into my gear and recording. I would like to spend under $400 on an acoustic. Mainly, it would be used for living room jaming, bedroom writing, singing and playing for family, and maybe live small to medium sized venues(I play mostly modern-metal, so if I do bring it onstage with me it would only be for half a song or so).

I've been out of the loop when it comes to acoustic, so I have no idea whats out there. I've been playing for years, but very little on acoustic. I do need it to be able to handle lead playing - fast shredding type scales...

Do I need a built in pick-up preamp? If you can point me in the right direction, it would be cool... Ovation? Yamaha? Epiphone?

Again $400 is what my goal would be. I don't really want to spend more because I'd like to buy another electric soon...

Thanks again
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337075

Check out these ones. When you add the cost of electronics on top, they'll be about $400.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Cool. Thanks for the link.

Ok, so now that I've done a little more research, it seems there is also an Electric-Acoustic catagory. What do most of you think about just buying the guitar with electrics already installed...

This guitar for example...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation-Ultra-2171-Contour-GS-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-482875-i1425376.gc
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
I got my Sammick Acoustic 3/4 size for only $125.
My 1970's Gibson Epiphone Electric is Cool!!
That's what I meant when I said putting the cost of electronics on top. Most guitars have the option of adding on-board electronics(buying an electro-acoustic). It'll run you about $100 or so on top of the price of a pure acoustic.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.