Hey I've had the peavey classic 30 for a month or so and It is really sweet. Playing the overdrive channel with the pre all the way up and the post at like 7 is awesome and pretty loud. I know tube amps naturally break up and distort when you raise the volume, but is there a way to have a nice clean tone at higher volumes? I guess like getting the extension cabinet? or new speaker?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
does the clean channel have a separate gain control for it? if they both share a gain control, then i'd suggest just using your guitar's volume knob. if not...then just lower your gain knob on the clean's channel.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
+1

And yeah, it kind of depends on what you are playing. They have nice speakers already. You could look at a tube swap if you have already been thru every other option.

What kind of music are you playing?

*slash_rocks2005 - where the hell have you been?*
nah I'm pretty sure they dont share a gain knob, and I read that alot of people swap the stock speaker out and replace it with another one. Im mostly playing rock, like ac/dc, led zeppelin but I'm getting interested in the blues so I would like to get a nice clean tone as well
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Have you tried sticking your amp on a stand and/or tilting it up?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
classic 30 gets breakup at lower volumes than most, I'd suggest perhaps a Clean Volume boost, or lower-breakup tubes/speakers. That would probably suit you best.
I like my JJ tubes because they break up early on. You may want to bias your tubes a little cooler if you want less breakup at high volumes.
I have a classic 50.. it's different but I can turn the thing up like on max on the clean channel without it breaking up =\

but then again.. now that I think about it.. I don't think I've tried max overall volume.. just the seperate volume for the clean channel.. and it's so loud I haven't tried going higher to see if it does.. so yeah
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 29, 2008,
yea you can get a 12at7 for your preamp on the clean channel and that'll help retain clean headroom for ya. and if THAT doesn't work, learn to use your guitar's volume knob. a 5 watt single channel amp forces you to learn how to use your knobs efficiently lol.

oh and 311zoso, i've started here at the University, our gym is like 2 minutes walking distance from my dorm room ha. i usually get up, go to class and then gym, mess around for a bit till dinner time (btw 5 and 6ish) and then hit the gym again for raquetball and then chill most of the night...i've spent a lotta time roamin' around in the Pit. figured i'd be a lil refreshed if i took a small vacation from GG&A lol, i was tired of always seeing millions of threads with the same topics...

nice to know new guys still want to spend over half a grand on guitars and a measly couple hundred on the amp (no offense to ANYONE in particular)...
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
True. Classic 30 may be a bit much depending on the environment.

5 watt Blackheart may be the way right. Good to see you again Slash and good luck with classes and posting time here. I hear ya - gotta take a break every now and then.

TS - I think you have the opposite problem as someone else here, but the C30 is aweful versatile. How clean do you want to go - as I'm not sure another cab is going to take you there. Try an OD pedal with gain = 0 and level = 10.
The Blue marvel Speaker is the reason these amps break up sooner than most other 30w amps, they are only rated at 96dB@1 watt@1 meter, most of your Celestions and Eminence usually are a least 99dB@1 watt @1 meter, so switching to a better speaker would give your cleans a 3db volume jump, which would be the same as double the wattage with the current speaker. I use to run mine through a 412 cab, and it had no problem with clean break up unless I wanted it to.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
well i like the bright fender cleans, obviously I'm not going to get that exact tone from a peavey but I also use a epiphone SG 310 (yea i got the worse one ) which has humbuckers so that could be the problem.

and what do you guys mean by using the guitar volume control? do you mean like lowering the amp volume and raising the guitar or the other way around?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
other way around. with tube amps, it works rather well. say you have a really good hard rock gain sound going on, by lowering the volume knob on your guitar from max to say half way, you'll prolly get a realllly clean sound with just a TAD of grit. so if you're only at a slight crunch and lower your guitar volume from there, it'll be even cleaner. anyway...experiment and you'll get the idea.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
you can swap out the preamp tube for the clean channel to one that takes longer to break up. thats probably the cheapest option, other than just using your guitar's volume knob. ive never really had much of a problem with the cleans not staying clean, but then again i guess ive never really turned it all the way up. you should also remember that at some point on the clean channel you will stop really getting a volume increase and start getting mostly a gain increase as the power tubes reach their limit and start clipping. id say turn it up to that threshold and then use your guitar to keep it clean.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I have a classic 50.. it's different but I can turn the thing up like on max on the clean channel without it breaking up =\

but then again.. now that I think about it.. I don't think I've tried max overall volume.. just the seperate volume for the clean channel.. and it's so loud I haven't tried going higher to see if it does.. so yeah

Put both the volume and normal up to around 10.....you'll be in for a nice tonal surprise.

But yeah like others said, try using the guitar volume, that can work very well if you're getting natural breakup.

You'll see Jimmy Page doing it alot in his Live shows with Zep.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Sep 29, 2008,
Ok the guitar volume thing seems to work pretty well, and when i bought it the person who sold it to me the tubes were just replaced, so I'll probably look more into the tubes when they need to be replaced. Speakers will probably wait for a little also cause I got the amp fairly recent. Just curious would like a chorus pedal or some other kind of pedal like increase the cleans volume as well?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
You would be better off swapping out the clean channel preamp tube as suggested. Lose the 12ax7 and put a 12at7 or 5751 in there for more clean headroom.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
would it hurt the amp if i changed just one tube? And which brand would you recommend? JJ's? and on another note, i got the tube tamer, but i still get buzzing even when i play at medium volumes...Should I get it checked out by a professional?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by Dandaman4716
would it hurt the amp if i changed just one tube? And which brand would you recommend? JJ's? and on another note, i got the tube tamer, but i still get buzzing even when i play at medium volumes...Should I get it checked out by a professional?

Are all of the screws on the frame as tight as you can get them?

If you tighten them, make sure not to strip them at all.
yea i tightened them, and theres still tube buzz...any suggestions?
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Hummingbird
Yamaha CG-101
Peavey Classic 30
Tube tammer time
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
Tube tammer time

Yea he has one, thinks he has it on right, but it's still doing it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
the way to check if the tubes are moving is to play then press a pencil eraser against them lightly. if that cures the sound, then the tubes are moving. if it doesnt, well then its something else.