I just want to make sure I'm understanding how bi-amping works, do I just run a cable from the line out in one amp to the input of the other, or is there more to it?
first you have to have a head thats bi-amp capable.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
I thought biamping was splitting your signal before it reached the amps, running it through two of them...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

i use a splitter i got at radio shack, there may be better ways, but i just stick a 1/4" splitter in my guitar and run a cable to both amps
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
well disregard my first assumption then because I had no idea how it is done
oh yeah, and don't try your first assumption, it could kill everything
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
well here's another question, what would happen if I put another amp into the effects loop of my amp?
okay, I think i was wrong. I know you need a thing called a cross-over, that determines where the frequencies split so the highs go to one cab while the lows go to the other.
what a waste of a perfectly good sig.
unless you just want two amps functioning normally

and i dont know what would happen if you put another in the effects loop, but i dont think its a good idea, just get a splitter for $2
Quote by strq010
this guy, Nihil, is currently my hero.

Quote by clincher09
Why is Jesus a dinosaur?
Bi-amping is just running two amps at the same time, so the signal has to be split before it reaches any amps or cabinets. You can just use a standard splitter to split the signal and then have separate EQ settings at each amp so you get complementing tones, but some people use specially designed splitter boxes that send highs to one amp and lows to another. That allows you to then use a guitar amp for the highs (cause guitar amps normally can't handle the lows of bass guitar), as well as getting slightly more of a "splitting" effect.
You can get line splitters anywhere, but I don't recommend getting anything really cheap. Only get stuff that's meant for use with guitars/bass, or else it mightn't last long. Just get some line splitter from Boss, that way you know you're getting a good study piece of gear that'll last you for years.
Whoa, whoa, whoa whoa, let's get what biamping is straight. It's either running a head with bi-amp capabilities, sending the higher range (say above 150Hz) to a high cabinet and the rest to a low cabinet, or getting an independent crossover that sends part of the signal (high/low) to one amp and the other to another amp. What most people are describing, sending the whole signal to two different amps is called dual-mono, as in two mono signals.
Yes, it's semantics, really. Threadstarter, what you've described is simply running two amplifiers. Typically called dual mono, like Jazzy mentioned, or stereo (referring to left/right). Simply running two independant power amps from the same preamp, amplifying the same signal. Bi-amping (or stereo referring to up/down) involves sending the signal through a crossover, then sending each half of the signal to a different power amp - like a woofer and tweeter in a stereo system.

After some significant testing with the two bi-ampable heads I've owned, I really prefer the dual-mono setup, especially if only one of the cabs has a tweeter. Bi-amping has some severe scoopage around the crossover point, and while as clear as a bell, the tone's a bit too thin. However, if you tend to set the crossover point at a frequency that you cut on your EQ, you might get a nice bi-amp tone by keeping that scooped point flat on the EQ and setting the crossover there (i.e. letting the crossover give you a scoop instead of the EQ).

If you didn't understand a word that I said, just leave it alone and use one amp. You'll probably have absolutely no idea how to take advantage of the two amps anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..