Ok my guitar has two knobs, volume and tone. I want to replace my tone knob with a kill switch, however i usually keep my tone knob about halfway. Can i use a resistor-cap combo of half the rating of the pot? how would i do it?

I have no ****ing clue about guitar wiring, only pedal building. Thanks.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
you can install a kill switch while keeping the tone knob, just wire it in separately

I know, i just don't want to drill a hole in my new guitar.
Quote by Final !mpact
Ok my guitar has two knobs, volume and tone. I want to replace my tone knob with a kill switch, however i usually keep my tone knob about halfway. Can i use a resistor-cap combo of half the rating of the pot? how would i do it?

I have no ****ing clue about guitar wiring, only pedal building. Thanks.

You'll simply replace the potentiometer with two resistors. If you keep it EXACLTLY halfway, divide the value of the pot by two and make each resistor that value, and just act as if one resistor is the lug 1-2 junction and the other is the 2-3 junction. The open area between the resistors will be lug 2. If you don't exactly put it in the middle, measure the resistance between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3, and make your resistors those values.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Quote by asfastasdark
You'll simply replace the potentiometer with two resistors. If you keep it EXACLTLY halfway, divide the value of the pot by two and make each resistor that value, and just act as if one resistor is the lug 1-2 junction and the other is the 2-3 junction. The open area between the resistors will be lug 2. If you don't exactly put it in the middle, measure the resistance between 1 and 2, and 2 and 3, and make your resistors those values.
most guitar tone controls don't use all 3 terminals of the pot, just 2. so 1 resistor in series with the capacitor is all it will take.

but the 1/2 value may or may not be right. is the pot logarithmic or linear? that makes a huge difference. the easy way would be to set the pot at the preferred setting and measure the resistance. then select the closest standard value for the resistor.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.